I need some help...SO mad!!!!
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

I need some help...SO mad!!!!

This is a discussion on I need some help...SO mad!!!! within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Acute selenium poisioning in yearling from salt block

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-20-2008, 12:53 PM
  #1
Yearling
I need some help...SO mad!!!!

So its 9:43 am my day to sleep in and a I get a call from one of my barn mates saying that the barn owner emailed us telling us we need to remove our salt blocks here is the e-mail....



"The new blocks you brought in are not appropriate for your horses considering the diets they are on. You should offer plain salt (white, which Dennis Co. Does not carry but Del's in Monte does for $5 each) or a trace-mineral salt (red, which Dennis Co, has). I like to offer both of these. The Selenium blocks are not good because your horses are getting added Selenium in their Millennium vits, Senior feed and Strategy. Also, a horse may need more salt than Selenium and with it combined, they are forced to ingest more Selenium than needed. The problem is Selenium can become toxic.

I expect the blocks to be removed and you can probably even return them to Dennis Co if they are still clean. If not then you are out $5 for new ones."



The reason I got that salt block is because my horse is really under develpoved for the amount of work she is getting... My first horse and im learning on the way. But I have her on stategy,millennium vit and alfalfa pellets. When I first brought the block into her stall she went crazy for it, she dosent lick the white ones but she does like the red ones.
We are so mad because they are our horses and if it was such a big deal why didnt she say anything before my friend has had hers for a couple weeks, mine a couple days. Will the salt block really hurt them? Its not like they are going to eat it all in a month it will last a long time.... Should I take it out?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-20-2008, 01:09 PM
  #2
Green Broke
If I were in that situation id leave it unless I found out that it really could become toxic. The BO has no need to tell you what things your aloud to give YOUR horse....but if it really could become toxic to them, that's a different story. If its not toxic and she's lieing then leave it, she has absolutely no right to tell you that you have to take out that salt block.
     
    04-20-2008, 01:23 PM
  #3
Foal
Selenium if overfed is toxic. I couldn't remember the daily amount needed, because they do need some, but I came across this site: http://www.vetpro.co.nz:888/Vet%20Ta...m_toxicity.htm
And it says "1-3 mgs daily" is needed, and "Even 2-3 times the required daily amount over a long period of time, will cause chronic selenium poisoning. Symptoms include gradual weight loss, a loss of hair from the mane and tail and a break in the hoof wall at the coronary band. The changes to the feet can cause a lameness similar to that seen with laminitis.

Acute poisoning occurs when large amounts of selenium are ingested over a short period of time. Signs involve most of the body systems and death usually results."

I doubt that your BO is trying to be petty. This is a genuine thing to be concerned about.

Does your mare have access to free salt as well? The loose stuff is supposed to be better for them, because they can grab all they need without getting a bunch of other minerals that are just thrown in.
     
    04-20-2008, 01:25 PM
  #4
Yearling
Thanks Gingerrrrr! I just need to know if its toxic or not, I know she knows a lot about horses...But you know..It would be even better if I called the vet and asked them. Then if I don't take it out and she comes down on me I can just say "hey I called the vet and they said its fine"

You know this is just so freakin pathetic..She is sooo mean! She wrote us the email at 2:00 am and the other day liz a friend who hauls down to take lesson well they had baught a new horse for ashley (daughter) and she REALLY likes him you can just tell I mean the girl was hugging him and just LOVES him (only had him for two days) and she is in our show group as well so our lesson had some test in it...and each time we wouls "show" we would get some constructive words. Well the boss didnt say a word to ashley and later told them that their horse is ****! So it was this HUGE thing cassie the boss was all mad and its just like her to find things to grab and throw in your face..meaning the salt blocks!

Man im so tired of this barn. I wish I didnt have to work at it or id board somewhere els.
Does anyone know if the salt block is toxic or not? Save me a call to the vets...
     
    04-20-2008, 01:25 PM
  #5
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolderthing
Selenium if overfed is toxic. I couldn't remember the daily amount needed, because they do need some, but I came across this site: http://www.vetpro.co.nz:888/Vet%20Ta...m_toxicity.htm
And it says "1-3 mgs daily" is needed, and "Even 2-3 times the required daily amount over a long period of time, will cause chronic selenium poisoning. Symptoms include gradual weight loss, a loss of hair from the mane and tail and a break in the hoof wall at the coronary band. The changes to the feet can cause a lameness similar to that seen with laminitis.

Acute poisoning occurs when large amounts of selenium are ingested over a short period of time. Signs involve most of the body systems and death usually results."

I doubt that your BO is trying to be petty. This is a genuine thing to be concerned about.

Does your mare have access to free salt as well? The loose stuff is supposed to be better for them, because they can grab all they need without getting a bunch of other minerals that are just thrown in.

Okay well if she is already getting the daily amount that's needed in her feed then yea id take it out because you don't want her to eat too much so that she gets poisoned.
     
    04-20-2008, 01:35 PM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolderthing
Selenium if overfed is toxic. I couldn't remember the daily amount needed, because they do need some, but I came across this site: http://www.vetpro.co.nz:888/Vet%20Ta...m_toxicity.htm
And it says "1-3 mgs daily" is needed, and "Even 2-3 times the required daily amount over a long period of time, will cause chronic selenium poisoning. Symptoms include gradual weight loss, a loss of hair from the mane and tail and a break in the hoof wall at the coronary band. The changes to the feet can cause a lameness similar to that seen with laminitis.

Acute poisoning occurs when large amounts of selenium are ingested over a short period of time. Signs involve most of the body systems and death usually results."

I doubt that your BO is trying to be petty. This is a genuine thing to be concerned about.

Does your mare have access to free salt as well? The loose stuff is supposed to be better for them, because they can grab all they need without getting a bunch of other minerals that are just thrown in.
So if Im giving her the right amount of millenium -V and the salt block that would be to much? Oh yah plus grain.... cause wont the salt block last a loooong time?

What is free salt? Just regular salt? She does have all three salt blocks white,red and the new one.
     
    04-20-2008, 01:44 PM
  #7
Foal
I would check quantities that are in the feed you are feeding her. I would guess though that the selenium block will be too much. I would be really cautious about feeding selenium. The line is so fine between overdosing and deficiency.

However, if you're still in doubt after checking the feed bags, call the vet and get their opinion.

ETA: free salt, aka loose salt, is just the white salt they have access to that's not in block form.
     
    04-20-2008, 01:45 PM
  #8
Yearling
OK! So then what is wrong with my horse? Because I was told I needed to give her more silenium...I did that then I was told she needs a higher protien diet. Well I've done that. She still looks like crap. Although she is slowly getting better and fatter.
Im getting all theis mixed messages about how to care for my horse! I'll take the block out. See we were told we have to buy our own salt blocks and new buckets even though they were already provided for us....I just don't get this barn.
Here are a few pics of my horse so you can see what has happened. The first is when she was first for sale when I baught her



This is just a couple months ago before I had her on all the vitimens.




And this is the most recent pic of her...I can try and get a new one today.



Does she look unhealty?
     
    04-20-2008, 01:47 PM
  #9
Green Broke
She doesn't really look unhealthy, she just needs more weight and muscle. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for her?
     
    04-20-2008, 01:50 PM
  #10
Yearling
I paid 1600 she was 2800...Did I get ripped off? I had a payment plan for her 100 a mo as I worked at the barn. Only way I could get a horse cause I REALLY wanted one. Hard working at a barn and not have one.
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0