Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Breinigsville, PA
• Horses: 0
I think we're FINALLY getting everything fixed!
Phew! It's been an interesting couple of months. Poor Danny has been through so much since he's been with us... I'm happy to report that things are FINALLY settling down. Just wanted to share the lengthy checklist that we've gone through. And my fiance thought we were getting an inexpensive horse! Ha ha!!
Feet fixed! Now using back shoes specially made by my fantastic new farrier with an extra toe clip to shield his back toes from too much dragging. His feet look amazing!
Digestive troubles seem to be over. With a history of minor gas colic and increasing irritability when touching his belly, Danny was diagnosed with ulcers. He is currently though two weeks of Ulcergard and doing amazingly well! No more girthiness, no more dancing on the cross ties, and best of all, no more trying to kick me if I have to get dirt off his belly. His entire mood is 1000% better. There must be a dozen little quirks that have disappeared since treating him for ulcers. Next month, after the ulcergard is complete, he'll be on Succeed in place of his current SmartDigest Ultra to try to help future occurances. He's always been on free choice hay with about 16 hrs of turnout. My trainer is monitoring his diet and intake in the meantime.
Since making the switch to dressage full-time, we have had an incredibly difficult time finding a saddle to fit. Happy to report that saddle shopping is over and no longer driving me crazy! We found a nearly new Amerigo Dressage with a narrow tree that the fitter did some flocking adjustments to and fits him beautifully! He's swinging from the shoulder and willing to more forward at any gait, yay! I knew there had to be an improvement when he didn't automatically hollow during the sitting trot (although the ulcers may contribute to that as well). After all the different saddles we tried, I'm getting the chiropractor to take a look at his back as well.
New joint supplement starting next month to replace the combo joint, hoof & coat supplement. Switched him to SmartFlex Repair with HA to really help lubricate his joints. He's seemed a bit stiff in his back legs and I recently heard cracking in a few joints. Since he's really started to work correctly recently, I worry about muscles and joints that are being used in completely new ways. He's never engaged his hind end before, never really learned to bend, and is in front of my leg for the first time ever.
I really, really, really hope this is it for a while! My bank account can't take much more!
Smart people listen. Not so smart people think they do not need to hear what others have to say.