Important HYPP survey! ALL TAKE PART! - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
View Poll Results: HYPP SURVEY
My horse has Impressive in his pedigree 23 34.33%
My horse does not have Impressive in his pedigree 27 40.30%
My horse has HYPP and has Impressive in his pedigree 1 1.49%
My horse has HYPP but does not have Impressive in his pedigree 0 0%
My horse does not have HYPP 33 49.25%
I do not know if my horse has Impressive in his pedigree nor if he is infected 2 2.99%
I have tested my horse for HYPP 13 19.40%
I have not tested my horse for HYPP 21 31.34%
I was un-aware of HYPP 5 7.46%
I am aware of HYPP 41 61.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 Old 02-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 22,210
• Horses: 24
I have a grandson of Impressive and he is N/N.

I think that moving to make a stricter rule about registering would go a long way to stopping this disease in it's tracks. Of course we can't control who breeds mutt horses, but if the AQHA would stop registering any carrier (they already refuse to register H/H, they should include N/H with that as well), then the number of foals born with it would decrease dramatically over the next 10-15 years.

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 41 Old 02-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copley, OH
Posts: 4,760
• Horses: 1
My mare (who is APHA) has Impressive in her pedigree, but I did get her tested and she is HYPP N/N :)

"The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand, is when I carried you..."
Hoofprints in the Sand is offline  
post #23 of 41 Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colesville, NJ
Posts: 1,729
• Horses: 0
farmpony - ty for the reply.

i didn't know my foal's breeding so i tested him anyway not even being sure if he was full QH. i figured for the $50 rather be safe than sorry since his dam came from auction, looked full QH and it certainly was possible.

i too know someone with an HYPP horse (N/H) who is occasionally symptomatic. he's an app - so i assume impressive has been bred to apps as well meaning it's not *just* QH's. she manages with diet and he does very well.

question - are there any HYPP horses that are NOT impressive bred?

Life Without a Paddle...a blog about life out here, and great for a laugh!
TLC Stables & East/West Arabians
www.ewa-tlcstables.com
Are you getting the most out of your horse?
Equi-Eval.com
CJ82Sky is offline  
post #24 of 41 Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copley, OH
Posts: 4,760
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ82Sky View Post
farmpony - ty for the reply.

i didn't know my foal's breeding so i tested him anyway not even being sure if he was full QH. i figured for the $50 rather be safe than sorry since his dam came from auction, looked full QH and it certainly was possible.

i too know someone with an HYPP horse (N/H) who is occasionally symptomatic. he's an app - so i assume impressive has been bred to apps as well meaning it's not *just* QH's. she manages with diet and he does very well.

question - are there any HYPP horses that are NOT impressive bred?
I don't believe so, since he was the one responsible for the mutated gene that caused it. And yes, Apps and Paints can also have HYPP, depends on their bloodlines. Here's a good resource too and I suggest emailing them if you've had your horse tested so they can keep updated - I did :)

HyppLists

"The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand, is when I carried you..."
Hoofprints in the Sand is offline  
post #25 of 41 Old 02-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colesville, NJ
Posts: 1,729
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand View Post
I don't believe so, since he was the one responsible for the mutated gene that caused it. And yes, Apps and Paints can also have HYPP, depends on their bloodlines. Here's a good resource too and I suggest emailing them if you've had your horse tested so they can keep updated - I did :)

HyppLists
ty. id add my horse to the list but his lineage is as such:

dam: liver chestnut mare - "never bred, easy to handle, reining trained, sound" from auction. (wanna guess how much of that description is true!? LOL)
sire: someone that mysteriously bred the never been bred well trained easy to handle totally sound mare some time before auction - or god as it was obviously an immaculate conception. duh.

HYPP horse tested: cute (we think) palomino-ish colt (about to be gelded) named Logan's Run. yeah...

LOL!

Life Without a Paddle...a blog about life out here, and great for a laugh!
TLC Stables & East/West Arabians
www.ewa-tlcstables.com
Are you getting the most out of your horse?
Equi-Eval.com
CJ82Sky is offline  
post #26 of 41 Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copley, OH
Posts: 4,760
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ82Sky View Post
ty. id add my horse to the list but his lineage is as such:

dam: liver chestnut mare - "never bred, easy to handle, reining trained, sound" from auction. (wanna guess how much of that description is true!? LOL)
sire: someone that mysteriously bred the never been bred well trained easy to handle totally sound mare some time before auction - or god as it was obviously an immaculate conception. duh.

HYPP horse tested: cute (we think) palomino-ish colt (about to be gelded) named Logan's Run. yeah...

LOL!
lol

"The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand, is when I carried you..."
Hoofprints in the Sand is offline  
post #27 of 41 Old 02-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,385
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ82Sky View Post
question - are there any HYPP horses that are NOT impressive bred?
Nope. I just went to the AQHA website and copied the fact sheet for everyone.

AQHA's HYPP FACT SHEET
• Hyperkalemic periodic paralysis (HYPP) is an inherited disease that leads to uncontrolled muscle twitching or profound muscle weakness, and in severe cases, may lead to collapse and/or death.
• HYPP is listed as a genetic defect in AQHA's rules, along with Parrot Mouth and Cryptorchid conditions.
• To date, HYPP only has been traced to descendants of IMPRESSIVE, #0767246.
• Having negative (N/N) results on file may prevent a horse's offspring from being tested.
• Foals born in 1998 and later and tracing to IMPRESSIVE will have a statement placed on their Certificates of Registration that recommends testing for the condition unless test results indicating the foal is negative (N/N) are on file with AQHA.
• AQHA will test any foals who are required to be parentage verified and who trace to IMPRESSIVE for HYPP prior to them being registered. This testing will be performed with the same DNA sample submitted to the laboratory for parentage verification.
• AQHA will accept HYPP test results only if performed through a licensed laboratory. These currently include:
Veterinary Genetics Lab at University of California at Davis
Shelterwood Laboratory at Carthage, Texas
IDEXX Laboratories, Markham, Ontario
NSW Agriculture in Australia
Veterinary Diagonostics Center, Fairfield, Ohio, (800) 625-0874
Stormont Labs, Woodland, California, (916) 661-3078
Gene Check, Inc., Ft. Collins, Colorado, (940) 472-9951
Maxxam Laboratory at Guelph, Ontario
Other laboratories are in the process of being licensed.
• Beginning with the 2007 foals, all Impressive progeny are required to be parentage verified and HYPP tested subject to the conditions listed in rule 205. Any that test H/H will not be eligible for registration.
• Possible results of HYPP testing are N/N, N/H and H/H.
HYPP is inherited as a dominant trait, which means a heterozygous (N/H) stallion or mare bred to a normal (N/N) horse will result in approximately half of the offspring being affected and half being normal. The rare homozygote (H/H) usually is severely affected with the disease and will pass the gene to its offspring 100 percent of the time.
•HYPP can be treated through diet and medication in most cases.
• AQHA Testing Kits can be ordered for $40.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #28 of 41 Old 02-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
I have a grandson of Impressive and he is N/N.

I think that moving to make a stricter rule about registering would go a long way to stopping this disease in it's tracks. Of course we can't control who breeds mutt horses, but if the AQHA would stop registering any carrier (they already refuse to register H/H, they should include N/H with that as well), then the number of foals born with it would decrease dramatically over the next 10-15 years.
While this might be true is some respects. What I see happening is that there will just be more grade horses with it and no one will know until something goes wrong. I would rather let them keep registering the horses as they are now and put the info on the papers as they do now. It has to come down to proper education of breeders and even more so of owners who buy the horses.

Not to mention judges.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #29 of 41 Old 02-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,385
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner View Post
While this might be true is some respects. What I see happening is that there will just be more grade horses with it and no one will know until something goes wrong. I would rather let them keep registering the horses as they are now and put the info on the papers as they do now. It has to come down to proper education of breeders and even more so of owners who buy the horses.

Not to mention judges.
Rule changes. Let them register them, but make it a disqualifier or a major fault in the halter classes. That's the only way. (In my opinion)

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #30 of 41 Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 335
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84 View Post
Nope. I just went to the AQHA website and copied the fact sheet for everyone.
Thanks, my internet was being wonky when I was trying to find that....

I read somewhere that it was possible it came from his dam as there was a apparently a grade half-brother to Impressive who showed some symptoms.

Seeing as it is pretty much impossible to tell exactly where the original mutations happened now, I'm guessing someone got sick of Impressive name bashing and wanted to make it not this one particular horse's fault. Which I wouldn't blame them if they were a breeder of Impressive line horses. I would get angry if they were breeding H/H or N/H horses though.
DieselPony is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horse Cruelty - Part Survey - Part Debate EquineLover Horse Protection 11 02-05-2011 12:49 PM
Part Rant, Part Gratefulness xdrybonesxvalleyx Horse Talk 1 06-25-2010 07:49 PM
Lost a very important part of my life today paintluver Horse Pictures 28 01-20-2010 07:35 PM
Be part of the survey G and K's Mom Horse Health 0 06-30-2009 05:09 PM
Hypp!!!! Junebug Horse Breeding 28 04-08-2009 12:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome