Incompetent Vet?? - Page 2

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Incompetent Vet??

This is a discussion on Incompetent Vet?? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-02-2008, 10:39 AM
    *sigh* happens more often than you'd think.

    I spent over $1100 on my one gelding (Cinzano) because we thought he had navicular. We did radiographs, nerve blocks, you name it.

    ....he presented an abscess shortly after.
    Sponsored Links
        11-02-2008, 12:43 PM
    Originally Posted by servinator    
    I have been on the forum asking for suggestions about a lame horse for the last few weeks. I was relatively certain it was an abscess (and it turned out to be one) but...when the vet came out a couple of weeks ago (I couldn't be there, but my husband was, with all my info on what I had noticed and what I had done uo to that point) the vet said it definitely was NOT an abscess and that the horse likely has navicular problems, leading me to call in a specialist farrier, and by that time the abscess presented itself. My problem is, I don't feel I should have to pay his outrageous fee for not only misdiagnosing, but because of his misdiagnosis, I stopped treating it like an abscess and probably set back the healing time. What do you think??
    Regardless of their level of education, there are really incompetent people everywhere. I wouldn't trust a lot of the paramedics, physicians and nurses that are here. A title after a name means nothing.
    Having said that, knowing that the vet already came, even IF it was misdiagnosed (which I don't think it's something you could prove without a doubt)I don't know there is anything you could do to challenge the fee. I would get a vet out just to make that your horse does in fact NOT have any signs of navicular, just to be on the safe side.

    That's why asking around and checking up a vet before calling is so important. You can sometimes prevent a lot of problems.

    Keep us posted on what happens.
        11-04-2008, 08:13 AM
    Green Broke
    I second Peggysues post, farrier first for hoof (feet) problems

    Then if after consulting the farrier, then if necessary the vet.
        11-04-2008, 12:02 PM
    The problem was that my farrier, who is really just a trimmer, had already looked at his hoof and didn't come up with anything, but as I had suspected and is now confirmed he's really not the right man for the job. I was in the process of trying to find a new farrier, when I decided to call the vet because I was starting to worry. Anyway, what's done is done, and at the very least the whole experience has pushed me to find a proper farrier. Boy if I could redo my career choice I'd go into the farrier business!

    Thread Tools

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 AM.

    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0