So two weeks ago, my horse jumped over our wheeled muck bucket holder cart thing, and sliced up her leg. She has scratches all the way up her right hind leg, most concentrated on the inside of her hock. The slice she got is about an inch below her hock on the inside of her leg, and what I was hoping was just a bad cut turned out to be a really bad laceration with a pocket up underneath the edge of the wound. She also managed so sever a minor vein, missed by a hair the big vein that runs along the inside of the leg. she got 7 stitches, and had her leg wrapped for 9 days.
She's not fond of leg wraps at all, as she'd never had one on before, and decided it was a horse eating monster, and required sedation to change it, so I asked last Friday if I had the go ahead to leave the wrap off, and just clean it and put alushield on it, as it looked very good, no swelling, healing very nicely. The vet said yes, to help make things a bit easier on me, so I started doing that. Well yesterday it looked like it was oozing a bit, which concerned me, so I managed to poke at it a bit, and she's got puss inside, cleaned it up, and put more alushield on it, and as it was 7 at night, waited to call the vet this morning.
Well I went out to look at her this morning during feeding, and she's got yellowish stuff running down her leg, some fresh some old, so obviously been draining since last night, and she's got an open area where the wound isn't healing.
The worker cleaning stalls said that she was limping today when she was running around her stall while he was cleaning (she doesn't like the Mexican workers because of stuff in the past), and I'm not horribly inclined to try and take her out and make her trot just so I can see, but she seems to be walking pretty okay, though she's not happy about it.
I am just worried, because I don't have a lot of money, already had to shell out quite a bit for the emergency call, and all that was included with that, and I'm going to have to pay for sedation and getting her stitches taken out (or was supposed to this week), but I also don't want the infection to get bad because I wanted to wait until it was horrible before calling the vet out. It was a big concern for me when he came and stitched her up, because she's not very easy to work with still, only had her a few months, and I know how easily infection can set in, so we put her on a 5 day course of Uniprim antibiotics, and kept her leg wrapped. So I have a call out to the vet, and I'm hoping that we can get rid of the infection without having to spend a ton of money, though if it comes down to it, I'll do what it takes no matter how expensive it is.