Injecting vs Fenestration?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Injecting vs Fenestration?

This is a discussion on Injecting vs Fenestration? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Locking stifle Fenestration.
  • Fenestration in horses

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-12-2013, 10:33 PM
  #1
Weanling
Injecting vs Fenestration?

Which is better for a locking stifle? My vet said my guy has locking stifles :( I can choose between injecting with steroids and fenestration.
Fenestration is described as:
"the vet stabs into the stifle area with a small scalpel to create scar tissue to develop. It does not cut through the stifle ligament, it just makes small cuts in it. After two weeks off, you start working your horse again and inflammation will occur and the ligament will develop scar tissue and tighten. This is done while the horse is standing and sedated. No stitches and only minor bleeding. The horse goes home right away. The risks are very low with this method and you do not have to worry about arthritis. It is low invasive and safe." from another user on another Forum.
Which would be a better option?
Thanks
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-13-2013, 10:45 PM
  #2
Weanling
Bump...
     
    04-13-2013, 11:19 PM
  #3
Green Broke
Personally, I've seen lots of up and downhill leading and consistent work bring a horse with locking stifles (so bad he couldn't stand for farrier work and actually almost went down on me a few times) back to perfect as long as the exercise was consistent.

I can't say anything about the options you've posted about though, as I've never had one with locking stifles.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-14-2013, 08:38 PM
  #4
Yearling
Fenestration worked tremendously well and was cheap. It was easy, fast downtime and great if you can't keep the horse fit all the time.
     
    04-14-2013, 09:04 PM
  #5
Trained
My locking stifle standardbred benefitted tremendously from squaring the hind toes. He could go exactly 6 weeks between trims, 6 weeks 1 day he would start locking up.
On top of that 24/7 turnout, hill work and lots and lots of trotting helped him develop enough muscle to keep the ligaments tight.
     
    04-14-2013, 10:58 PM
  #6
Weanling
Thank you! It is really bad and he is pretty in shape and he still does it :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iseul    
Personally, I've seen lots of up and downhill leading and consistent work bring a horse with locking stifles (so bad he couldn't stand for farrier work and actually almost went down on me a few times) back to perfect as long as the exercise was consistent.

I can't say anything about the options you've posted about though, as I've never had one with locking stifles.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-14-2013, 10:59 PM
  #7
Weanling
Do you mind me asking how much you paid? Was your horse locking up REALLY bad? How long is the recovery time?
Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity3205    
Fenestration worked tremendously well and was cheap. It was easy, fast downtime and great if you can't keep the horse fit all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-14-2013, 11:01 PM
  #8
Weanling
Thanks! My guy is out 24/7 but still does it :( I have tried that too :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
My locking stifle standardbred benefitted tremendously from squaring the hind toes. He could go exactly 6 weeks between trims, 6 weeks 1 day he would start locking up.
On top of that 24/7 turnout, hill work and lots and lots of trotting helped him develop enough muscle to keep the ligaments tight.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-14-2013, 11:31 PM
  #9
Yearling
It cost about 350 but that included a tooth float while he was sedated along with some meds thatvwere supposed to help.also. Took about 2 weeks and the vet said ride/excercise him even tho he was still a bit sore at that point. He was not terrible but bad enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-14-2013, 11:47 PM
  #10
Weanling
Did he have badly locking stifles? How ling was full recovery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity3205    
It cost about 350 but that included a tooth float while he was sedated along with some meds thatvwere supposed to help.also. Took about 2 weeks and the vet said ride/excercise him even tho he was still a bit sore at that point. He was not terrible but bad enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Injecting and Nerving. Good or bad? .Delete. Horse Health 7 09-06-2011 11:27 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0