Issues with drinking water - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Issues with drinking water

This is a discussion on Issues with drinking water within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-22-2008, 01:03 PM
      #11
    Yearling
    I had to add electro-dex to rayne's feed. Horsey electrolites. This will encourage horses to drink. They also have apple-dex...same but it tastes like apples. The regular works fine, and rayne has been drinking a lot better. It is in expensive $11/3lbs tub. Good luck
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-22-2008, 01:06 PM
      #12
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbenitez    
    i had to add electro-dex to rayne's feed. Horsey electrolites. This will encourage horses to drink. They also have apple-dex...same but it tastes like apples. The regular works fine, and rayne has been drinking a lot better. It is in expensive $11/3lbs tub. Good luck
    Thank you for the suggestion!
         
        10-22-2008, 01:10 PM
      #13
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by missy06    
    Thank you for the suggestion!
    you are very welcome...my vet suggested it for me...no problems since!!!
         
        10-22-2008, 01:14 PM
      #14
    Green Broke
    The only problems that can arise from giving electrolytes is that if the horse does not in turn drink, it can cause problems (like impaction) -- so be sure that if you give the electrolytes, the horse is actually drinking
         
        10-22-2008, 01:25 PM
      #15
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kickshaw    
    the only problems that can arise from giving electrolytes is that if the horse does not in turn drink, it can cause problems (like impaction) -- so be sure that if you give the electrolytes, the horse is actually drinking
    yeah I agree. I have had to give corn oil for just such cases..only about 1 cup/day for 3-5 days
         
        10-22-2008, 01:30 PM
      #16
    Weanling
    Yeesh, the problem keeps seeming a little more stressful.

    I'm going to tackle that cistern and go from there.
         
        10-22-2008, 01:53 PM
      #17
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kickshaw    
    missy, I know that justin actually prefers a little bit of green algae in his water :roll:
    LOL, I can go and scrub out the water tank, put nice fresh water in, then turn around to find our's drinking out of mud puddles.
    :roll:
         
        10-22-2008, 01:56 PM
      #18
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbenitez    
    yeah I agree. I have had to give corn oil for just such cases..only about 1 cup/day for 3-5 days
    All corn oil is going to do is fatten them up and give them a shiny coat. The only oil that is NOT absorbed into their system is mineral oil. Which is why your vet will tube them with this oil to help pass an impaction.
         
        10-22-2008, 02:25 PM
      #19
    Green Broke
    Missy - here's another thought -- add some water to his feed if you give him electrolytes make it soupy for him so that he gets at least a gallon +/- with his dinner
         
        10-22-2008, 02:31 PM
      #20
    Weanling
    If he's on a pelleted feed, would that work? Great idea, could I do that even without the electrolytes, I.e. Tonight?
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Need Help with water crossing Kiki Horse Training 19 10-29-2008 12:22 AM
    we had a water day yesterday! alstaxidermy Horse Pictures 5 06-03-2008 10:24 AM
    Water Play BluMagic Horse Talk 3 02-11-2008 02:14 PM
    Water Jojo Horse Health 7 12-06-2007 06:09 AM
    he is not drinking Zenith Horse Health 8 07-19-2007 11:58 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0