Just Decided to Share An Old Injury
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Just Decided to Share An Old Injury

This is a discussion on Just Decided to Share An Old Injury within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • My horses stitches are dripping

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-30-2013, 09:32 PM
  #1
Yearling
Just Decided to Share An Old Injury

Last year I went out to my horses pasture to give them treats and some love. I was petting my boy Toofine and he turned his head.. The next thing I saw broke my heart. http://db.tt/PsG2MnDn He had a deep, deep gash in his face. Him being my little boy, I started balling my eyes out and ran up to my house and pounded on the window talking nonsense. Eventually my mom came out and seen what I saw, plus we discovered that our other horse, Hunter, had an injury also. http://db.tt/GdP7hkqS We had an emergency vet out immediately. I figured Hunter cut his eye on the garage door metal parts (we converted a pole barn into a run in) while itching. He got stitched up nice and easy. http://db.tt/VATDoUFz But as for my boy, he had to go to the Vet's office the next day and have a full surgery. Broke my heart knowing he would have a hole in his face for an another whole day. I figured he was itching his nose on the gate mounts (the huge bolts that hold the gate up) when our younger horses came to play and slammed into him, jamming the bolt into his face. Literally the scariest moment in my life.

The next day we went to the vet, me missing school to be with him. He was so nervous at the vet. He got sedated and I was braiding his mane and petting him while my stepdad held his head up as the vet worked. He had to cut all the dried tissue out, which created a blood stream dripping onto the floor. Eventually my stepdad asked for me to hold him since he hadn't had any food and was getting dizzy. I grabbed his halter and seen the actual surgery in progress and almost fainted. This was my baby being cut open! http://db.tt/NV2fQVb3 I gave him back to my stepdad and sat down on the cement floor, hyperventilating. Eventually he was stitched up and ready to go home as soon as the drugs wore off. I had to walk him outside with his new stitches. http://db.tt/CccnxVaC We brought him home, and after a week or two, both horses got their stitches removed. This was by far the biggest scare of my life. Both are now healed and doing great, (even though hunter did the same injury again)

Anyone have stories to share too?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-30-2013, 09:37 PM
  #2
Green Broke
WOW, scary, I hope you got that ragged metal fixed right away.
     
    03-30-2013, 09:44 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton    
WOW, scary, I hope you got that ragged metal fixed right away.
Right now we keep a closer eye on our horses! We are transitioning into building and actually horse barn right now, so we are not investing much into the one now :b Plus, the people who have the money (my parents) think I'm insane for what I thought the harmful things were and won't invest into fixing them. Now we offer a lot more entertainment to keep them from finding the bad places to itch :b Jolly balls, hay, and arena to run in. Toofine's injury was more or less a freak accident :b Hunter's, well he is the horse that reaches the high up places and manages to hurt himself.

I probably will do alot of barn fix ups in the next week (spring break!)
Taffy Clayton likes this.
     
    04-01-2013, 02:55 AM
  #4
Foal
What I have found will work as a temporary fix is that super strong gorrilla tape. I go over my horses pipe corral and any rough edges or sharp areas including rusted out areas I just tape over, and around. I have also used the pipe insulators to pad sharp areas. Wouldn't suggest that if your horse likes to chew on things etc. Mine doesn't so it works for her.
     
    04-01-2013, 08:41 AM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning    
What I have found will work as a temporary fix is that super strong gorrilla tape. I go over my horses pipe corral and any rough edges or sharp areas including rusted out areas I just tape over, and around. I have also used the pipe insulators to pad sharp areas. Wouldn't suggest that if your horse likes to chew on things etc. Mine doesn't so it works for her.
My horses are terrible chewers! The top rail on our wood fence is 2x4" and they are almost all the way through it. I remember telling my parents horses like wood and the didn't believe me.
     
    04-01-2013, 02:06 PM
  #6
Yearling
No horses do not like wood. When they chew on things its called cribbing which can create health problems. More often than not cribbing is from boredom and can also be caused by a lack of minerals. There are tons of cribbing cures and preventatives. Please look into it because cribbing is not good. We have a very nice wooden fence and our 15 horses do not chew on it.

Eta: its untreated as well which horses are more likely to crib on

And if your top rail is that bad you seriously need to invest in new fencing ASAP. Those injuries might even be caused by the splintered wood. I have seen it happen a lot with cribbing horses.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-01-2013, 04:24 PM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylove    
No horses do not like wood. When they chew on things its called cribbing which can create health problems. More often than not cribbing is from boredom and can also be caused by a lack of minerals. There are tons of cribbing cures and preventatives. Please look into it because cribbing is not good. We have a very nice wooden fence and our 15 horses do not chew on it.

Eta: its untreated as well which horses are more likely to crib on

And if your top rail is that bad you seriously need to invest in new fencing ASAP. Those injuries might even be caused by the splintered wood. I have seen it happen a lot with cribbing horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horses eat wood naturally in nature as do deer and other herbivores.
     
    04-01-2013, 05:51 PM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieHuitema    
Horses eat wood naturally in nature as do deer and other herbivores.
Actually your wrong. They do not eat wood. They will eat bark off a tree but that is not wood, and only happens when there is no forage aka when they are starving. In captivity it is due to boredom or lack or nutrients. Horses do not eat wood even in the wild. I have my certificate in Equine Nutrition and have taken many college courses on animals both in captivity and the wild. I can assure you that eating wood is NOT normal!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-01-2013, 06:04 PM
  #9
Showing
Eating wood (actually eating, not just chewing out of boredom or windsucking due to habit) is NOT normal, and usually arises from a mineral deficiency.

I do sympathize with you. It can definitely rack your nerves to see your horse come in from the pasture with an injury, but this wasn't bad luck, nor was it a freak injury. Bad fencing WILL cause injuries; it's just a matter of when.
     
    04-01-2013, 06:21 PM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by equiniphile    
Eating wood (actually eating, not just chewing out of boredom or windsucking due to habit) is NOT normal, and usually arises from a mineral deficiency.

I do sympathize with you. It can definitely rack your nerves to see your horse come in from the pasture with an injury, but this wasn't bad luck, nor was it a freak injury. Bad fencing WILL cause injuries; it's just a matter of when.
$7,000 fencing is not bad fencing.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got this in an email decided to share! (SO CUTE!!) Cheyennes mom General Off Topic Discussion 14 03-02-2011 02:08 PM
Decided to try something a little different... BuckOff41570 Horse Artwork 6 10-06-2010 08:18 PM
I have decided I want to show...now what do I do? Semperfiwife Horse Shows 10 11-29-2009 09:56 PM
Shoulder/Back injury stemming from leg injury Andi Horse Health 1 02-18-2009 05:17 PM
So i have decided... appylover31803 Horse Riding 8 08-14-2008 11:51 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0