That really is an interesting idea...thanks for the link to the abstract Verona. I didn't even realize it was possible to block receptors like that! Wow.
Alright, well bear with me as I write this all out since I have a lot on my mind, but here I go... ;)
As I've mentioned multiple times, I've been trying and trying to figure out how to rehome Kenzie, but its really just not seeming to work considering the fact that she's mine. You guys mentioning just how twisted it is that I'm paying so much but having no say in anything also has really gotten me thinking.
Please, feel free to give me cons to any idea I throw out, discourage me from doing it, tell me things I may have not thought out correctly (I'm a teenager, it tends to happen! LOL) etc., I won't be offended...
The only way that I can possibly rehome Kenzie 'for sure' at this point, is if I own her correct? But BO is also unwilling to put in the work to rehome Kenzie, and even if she did I can't be sure that she would put Kenzie into the right home. I'm not questioning her intentions, but she has a LOT on her plate and a lot of financial strain so I can definitely see her going for what will 'regain her losses' best while also not take much time rather than what is really going work for Kenzie. Me owning her long term though...as in, longer than a few months, is out of the question.
However, I also just can't leave Kenzie where she is much longer. Things are falling apart at the farm more and more, and its just really not all that safe for her. Not so much because of security right now, but because people just don't have the horse's best interest at heart anymore. Not just BO, but all of the volunteers either. I really think the intention of the facility was good, but the love in it has just...died. And without dedication, a place like this farm goes down, and it goes down quickly. The horses still aren't neglected but many of them are in need of more than they're getting...things like dental work, therapeudic farrier care, higher quality feed, etc), and a trainer has been brought in who has philosophies that are distinctively Hispanic (I am not trying to be racist or anything, please understand, but Hispanic horsemanship at least in MY area tends to be cruel and inhumane) and I'm worried about the affect he will have on the farm. Mechanical Hackamoors, TTs, and rough handling are beginning to resurface at the farm dispite all that I've done to educate and get rid of those things. Add to that the fact that BO's son has begun 'training' and is taking multiple young horses that we own and, strictly IMO, is ruining them....and I'm worried that if Kenzie stays, they are going to do something ignorant such as breed her or start her far too early. Lastly, the facility is getting run down and I'm constantly finding bits of metal, baling twine, wire, etc and I am worried that she is going to injure herself again.
So that leaves me with the job of figuring out what to do with her. Obviously the first step would be to buy her. That's fine, I have the money to do that. Boarding is my big issue, because of the price, but I might have a short term solution to that. It isn't ideal, but I know she'd get good care. A friend's friend owns a little private farm about 85 minutes from where I live. Lovely little facility, with plenty of grass and safe fencing/shade, etc. She's an 'older' lady, maybe 60, who decided to take in a few misfortuned horses much like Kenzie a few years ago and she has 10 currently, including 4 minis. Each horse has it's own problem, whether it has been abused or isn't ridable anymore, but she makes sure they are all well cared for.
I hesitated to call her because I've only known her for a short time (I'm helping her start a colt of one of her last rescues because he is undamaged and she'd like to sell him on) and I know she already has a LOT to do with that many horses and it only being her caring for them, but I contacted her this weekend and while she isn't able to take Kenzie permanently, she's willing to let me keep her there for just a bit of money to help her out, as long as I take care of all of her expenses (farrier, vet, worming, feed, hay, etc...which I'm already doing) and feed her twice a day. Sounds optimal, but remember...that would mean transporting Kenzie the required miles (I have no trailer access) somehow, and it would also mean not getting to see her often.Maybe once a week. But its not about me is it?
Bringing her to this woman's ranch would only work under certain conditions though.
One, I would have to buy her from BO. I don't think it would be too hard, but theres always the chance BO will completely close up about it again.
Two, I would have to figure out a way to get her there.
Three, my parents would have to be in on this too. I have convinced them to let me buy Kenzie, but ONLY if I have a 'plan' that includes someone who is willing to take Kenzie from me within 6 months once I have her rehabbed (another plus of her going out there is that there is a MUCH better farrier who could help her hooves). That's the big thing. Of course, if I OWNED Kenzie, I would not be limited to just local people. I would have the option if anyone on HF that might be interested, people near where Kenzie would be living, people in my area...our horizons would be broadened considerably because I would not be the middleman anymore, and we would not have to deal with certain difficult people. I would even be willing to help pay for, or use the rest of Kenzie's fund for, professional transportation to another state.
The last stipulation is the biggest. To buy Kenzie with my parents approval, I must already have someone willing to take her (with the understanding that they might have to back out if there is a huge life change or something)...which would take a lot of thought.
I don't know...it all sounds so complicated with a lot of variables that could go wrong. But what we're doing now just isn't going to work. You guys are right...the only thing this can end in right now is heartache. :/
Everyone in your life is meant to
be in your journey, but not all of
them are meant to stay till the end.