I have a boarder with a lovely QH gelding that she cannot or will not care for properly. He gets good food with me of course and she buys him hoof and MSM supplements, but she won't have a good vet do his teeth, won't have a good vet examine him for lameness (he's seriously got something wrong, looks like a stiffle to me, or hock), and she wouldn't have the vet give him shots when he was out for coggins (claims she was going to give them herself, but I haven't seen the empty vials yet...).
About his lamenes. I used him as a lesson horse for a while, but I could tell something was "off" right away. I used exercise and supplements to improve him, but he quit getting any better, so I discontinued him in our lesson program. He has a mild/moderate club in his left front. When you look at his hind, the right hind quarter muscle that runs down the back of his hip is twice as big as the other side. His left front and right hind do not stride as out as far as the opposing legs. He is VERY hard to pick up the left lead, even on the lunge on a small circle. He's not "lame" in the normal sense of the word, just "wrong" in his movement. I paid for half the cost of a visit from my chiropractor who is also a vet and she said his back/neck/hips looked okay, just normal reactions for a horse that was used in a lesson program. She suggested x-rays of the stiffle and hock on the right hind and a second opinion by a better farrier on the feet. The horse owner did not follow through.
Last time my vet was out for spring shots/coggins, she agreed to coggins but nothing else. I had my vet check his teeth anyway, and he said it appeared the horse had never had his teeth done (he's 10 yrs old). He gets a lot of food as compared to my other hard working horses and just barely keeps his weight on. He's 14.2h and only ridden 2-3 times a month. He really shouldn't need hardly any grain...
I had to go up on my board price due to a serious hike in hay prices. I only raised board $25, from $275 to $300, which is still relatively cheap for our area. She contacted me last week saying she was going to move her horse in May. Thanks for the 30 day notice, but at this point, I'd just like her gone. I have one girl ready to fill her spot as soon as I say go, and three more horses behind her on a waiting list. Today she's out and says she's still unsure about the move. The first place wasn't what she wanted, but she says she's still looking. I already gave her a list of possible barns, but she wants something close, with trail access, that's cheap. Ain't going to happen...
So, I want her gone by May 5th. Do I tell her as much or wait and see? I told her I need to know ASAP and she seemed a bit emotional today, so no clue what's going on in her life right now, but really, I just don't care. I don't like this gal. She never brushes her horse after she rides, she only brushes him before if he is really dirty and only where the saddle goes. I have never seen her pick his feet. She just uses him as a social tool, so she can hang out with other trail riders. It drives me nuts.
Any advice? Really I just wanted to vent
. I don't gossip with other boarders or people who may know her or her friends, so I needed somewhere to spill it