- Farrier trimmed feet 4 weeks ago, and seemed to leave toe longer than expected on both front feet.
- Right front leg lameness.
- Swelling noticed around Coronary band, and abcess busted on the back of the hoof (notice photo with red circle).
- Seems to be walking more on the toe part of the hoof and buckling the ankle over to keep pressure off the heel.
Illustraction shows where the swelling is seen and where the abscess busted.
- Followed vet's recommendations
1. Antibiotic - 5 days
2. Pain Meds - 5 days
3 Soaked hoof in epsom salt for 30 minutes for 3 days
Signs of improvement are seen, but still worried.
We really need some support on this. The mare has been lame for 2 weeks now and in the last 6 days, we found the abcess and treated for that. Has anyone had this problem? What did you do to help healing? Could the toe being long have cause the coronary band swelling and abcess?