Lazy Horse....
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Lazy Horse....

This is a discussion on Lazy Horse.... within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • What grain for lazy dressage horse
  • Horse has welts after riding

Like Tree4Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-18-2012, 08:14 PM
  #1
Foal
Unhappy Lazy Horse....

Hey guys, So my horse has been super lazy for the past 3 weeks or so. When I ride him I use small spurs and a whip, but it doesnt work to get him moving unless I smack him really hard. He actaully has welts after I ride him many times.
I uped it grain to a scoop in the morning and a scoop at night it did help but he is still pretty lazy. He gets 4 flakes a day also.
I assumed maybe he was getting bored of arena work so I have been riding him around my house and trail riding and things. The first couple days he was doing great but now he's starting to get lazy and slow again.
I just don't know what to do Any ideas?
SmartGallop likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-19-2012, 02:05 AM
  #2
Banned
You shouldn't be leaving welts on him. I'd get a vet out to check him out if I were you, it sounds as if he is in pain if he is not moving forward after whipped so hard.
loosie likes this.
     
    10-19-2012, 06:59 AM
  #3
Foal
A little on the lazy side is ok. I repeat a little, but if a crop don't get him going, I agree that something else must be going on. I would have him checked out.
     
    10-19-2012, 11:27 AM
  #4
Foal
Yeah I agree I should do that, but what could be wrong? He eats all his food every day and really his only problem is being lazy I don't know.
     
    10-19-2012, 11:33 AM
  #5
Green Broke
He only gets 4 flakes of hay a day?! I hope those are huge flakes, I feed 4 flakes per feeding.

I'm guessing there's some deficiency or pain somewhere. And you left welts? I can't imagine doing that to a horse that isn't trying to kill me.
loosie and natisha like this.
     
    10-19-2012, 02:53 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Yep, definitely sounds like a vet visit is in order.

Poppy- you must have tiny flakes Four flakes from the two-strand bales my barn uses is supposed to be 20 lbs on average according to my BO (though I'm not entirely convinced that's true... I think they're more like 4 lbs each on average... but that's neither here nor there)

ETA - my horse never seems very motivated at the beginning of a ride and I always ride with a dressage whip, but once he gets warmed up he's quite easy to keep going.
     
    10-19-2012, 02:58 PM
  #7
Green Broke
One 70lb bale holds about 20 flakes. So 3-4 flakes per horse per feeding (2 per day).

My horse is the most motivated at the beginning....
     
    10-19-2012, 07:57 PM
  #8
Foal
Yes they are very big flakes. I know its not good that I left welts D: But there really was no other way to get him to move :/

He always gets better near the end of me riding and starts moving faster and more but still not as much as I think he should.

So tonight when I fed him his grain he just stopped eating it for about 10 minutes. He started to chew very slow and lowered his head very low and kinda just sat there :O ... then started eating it again normally. It was very strange. I am going to try and have the vet come very soon. Does any one have any idea what he could have?
     
    10-22-2012, 08:54 PM
  #9
Trained
Hi, as you posted the 4 days ago, have you had a vet &/or found out what's wrong yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by equestrianforever    
Hey guys, So my horse has been super lazy for the past 3 weeks or so. When I ride him I use small spurs and a whip, but it doesnt work to get him moving unless I smack him really hard. He actaully has welts after I ride him many times.
This makes me sad for your horse actually. You posted this in the health section, so you obviously realise something's not right & it's not just behavioural, and yet you attempt to force the horse with severe punishment?? I don't get that attitude at all.

I'd at least want to rule out pain before treating it as behavioural & trying to work through it, but if you 'need' spurs & a whip just to get the horse going, it sounds like some lessons wouldn't go astray, to learn how to train & ride him better without having to bully.

Quote:
I uped it grain to a scoop in the morning and a scoop at night it did help but he is still pretty lazy. He gets 4 flakes a day also.
You don't tell anything about him, details lifestyle, etc, and details about his diet could be important - eg. How much does one scoop weight & what is the 'grain'? How much does 4 flakes weight & what sort of hay? Grain can be a common reason for horses to become laminitic, especially if they're overweight, especially if it's only over a couple of larger meals daily, which could be one reason he's sore & therefore 'lazy'.

Of course there are numerous other physical reasons aside from systemic &/or hoof problems that could cause a horse to be in pain or otherwise not want to work. Saddlefit/back pain, for eg.

Quote:
So tonight when I fed him his grain he just stopped eating it for about 10 minutes. He started to chew very slow and lowered his head very low and kinda just sat there :O ... then started eating it again normally.
Perhaps he had a touch of colic, stomach aches from ulcers, gut pain from hind gut acidosis, perhaps he has bad teeth, perhaps he was just fed too much & was just full.... sorry, can't do more than guess without more info.
     
    10-23-2012, 02:32 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Hi, as you posted the 4 days ago, have you had a vet &/or found out what's wrong yet?
No the vet is coming out tomorrow though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
This makes me sad for your horse actually. You posted this in the health section, so you obviously realise something's not right & it's not just behavioural, and yet you attempt to force the horse with severe punishment?? I don't get that attitude at all.
That's only happened a couple times, I stopped once I realized it really was'nt helping. He is actually alot better now. On Sunday when I rode him he was going along great and I did not have to use my crop. I gave him alfalfa pellets which I am pretty sure helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
I'd at least want to rule out pain before treating it as behavioural & trying to work through it, but if you 'need' spurs & a whip just to get the horse going, it sounds like some lessons wouldn't go astray, to learn how to train & ride him better without having to bully.
Yes I agree with you and I have been working on getting my legs stronger and now that I am squeezing him harder its helping. And the spurs are super small..the smallest you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
You don't tell anything about him, details lifestyle, etc, and details about his diet could be important - eg. How much does one scoop weight & what is the 'grain'? How much does 4 flakes weight & what sort of hay? Grain can be a common reason for horses to become laminitic, especially if they're overweight, especially if it's only over a couple of larger meals daily, which could be one reason he's sore & therefore 'lazy'.
Well I ride him 6 days a week for about 60 minutes. He is a 15'2 5 year old Quarter Horse. He actually has the perfect weight. I'll post some pictures of him standing, trotting, and cantering. One scoop of grain is probably 1-2 lbs? Not totally sure and the whole hay bail is 50 lbs and the are very large flakes. I give him two flakes in the morning and 2 at night. It's just normal timothy hay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Of course there are numerous other physical reasons aside from systemic &/or hoof problems that could cause a horse to be in pain or otherwise not want to work. Saddlefit/back pain, for eg.
He actually has really nice hooves. Before I had a farrier who was doing his feet terribly but I now have a new farrier and they look so much better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Perhaps he had a touch of colic, stomach aches from ulcers, gut pain from hind gut acidosis, perhaps he has bad teeth, perhaps he was just fed too much & was just full.... sorry, can't do more than guess without more info.
He hasn't done it again since and is now eating perfectly fine.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lazy horse cowboy bowhunter Horse Training 22 10-20-2012 06:55 PM
lazy lazy horses. Janna Horse Talk 8 08-27-2012 10:41 AM
lazy horse?? what to do?? banman Horse Training 5 01-10-2011 06:48 PM
Lazy horse jemulchia Jumping 5 10-28-2009 05:19 PM
lazy lazy horse! jeezitsjacki Horse Training 8 08-20-2008 11:52 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0