Wednesday night Willy was brought in from pasture. His eye was swollen shut, and oozing goop. I had spent time with him on Tuesday and he looked totally normal and healthy.
Vet came out today (Thursday). He drew blood for a Leptospirosis test. This bacteria is found in rodent urine, and horses contract it from eating hay that has rodent urine on it, or drinking out of ponds that other wildlife share. Since Willy lives on a huge ranch, his main turnout (as I've said before) is 300 acres in the mountains. There are several water holes the horses share. Other animals are definitely out there.
He has started treatment for the eye, but the tests don't come back until next week (blood has to be sent to UC Davis). I'm so scared. Since I caught it so early and he's started treatment, if the tests DO come back positive, he has a good chance of keeping his eye sight. This bacteria can be pretty brutal.
There is a vaccine for dogs and cattle for Lepto. My dogs are vaccinated. There isn't a vaccine for horses.
Oh, I hope he doesn't have it, but I wouldn't be surprised given his free roam lifestyle. I want my guy to be healthy and safe. As I'm sure you can all relate, he is my anchor, my teacher, and my love.
Does anyone know anything more about this bacteria?? Any experiences with it??
Thanks for reading...I hope my guy gets well soon, and his tests are negative.