Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: secret mountain valley
Definitely don't work her while she is lame. Is it really wet and muddy there right now? Could be a sole abscess, or a tweak, or a number of things. I would say if it doesn't resolve in a day or two have the vet out, if it gets worse in the meantime have a vet out right away. Lameness is often hard to find the cause for even for a vet who has the horse in front of them, let alone get a diagnosis over the internet. I'm glad you're concerned for your lease horse, but ultimately I think health care decisions fall to the owner. The fact that there is no heat and she wasn't too upset with you messing with it is good. You could try soaking it to see if an abscess rears its ugly head- does anyone at the barn have hoof testers? You can try that to see if it is in her foot. Good luck to you two. Please keep us posted on any changes. Oh one last thing- if you do decide to have the vet look, make sure you don't give her bute or any other pain management or it will be really hard for them to determine what is up!