Looking for comfort! Any experience with this? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Looking for comfort! Any experience with this?

This is a discussion on Looking for comfort! Any experience with this? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-15-2012, 01:14 AM
      #11
    Banned
    Twiz- that is the thought that's been haunting me ever since he lit up the way he did. I mean just the slightest touch on the area, not even applying pressure, and he stomps and moves away, nips at the air, swishes his tail, just over all pissy attitude. Increase the pressure the SLIGHTEST bit and he is kicking out.

    I'll feel a lot better once I hear a diagnosis and have some plan as to treatment. Just waiting kills me. I have a way too active mind. Waiting the weekend out means I just have 48 hours to scare myself to death (ha)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-15-2012, 02:38 AM
      #12
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twiz454    
    The stifle has a lot of parts where injury could occur. Keep cold hosing for now. After the vet exam you'll have a better idea of what to do depending on what he hurt. To me, it doesn't sound like he locked it up. I think it's going to be a ligament or tendon issue.
    I second that.
    Upward fixation of the patella you will know when you see it. The whole leg stays straight /stretched forward, then pops out. With a jerking upward motion. The same upward jerking if it's about to lock soon.
    And yes, building up muscle to pull the ligament tight helps. That is step one.
    Step 2 is leaving a bit more heel and square the toe, so the foot leaves the ground before the leg is in fully extended stretch.
    Step 3 would be an internal blister.
    Last resort is surgery, splitting of the ligament, which causes problems later on in life.

    Come to think about it, you mentioned low heel long toe.......if he really has a Tad bit too long of a ligament......hmmm
    I'd ask vet and farrier about the higher heel/square toe.
         
        09-15-2012, 04:27 AM
      #13
    Banned
    He has always had a slight locking stifle issue on his other rear, and it has never presented like this. But maybe that is only because it's minor?? So far we have been able to keep that negligent with lots of exercise and muscle building.

    This issue is presenting itself entirely different than what I was seeing when I noticed his other locking patella. I know that doesn't rule it out. I really feel like it is a ligament or tendon. Possibly fracture from his spill in the pasture a few weeks ago. Except still no swelling.

    Could his old wound on his hip somehow being interfering with it? We did have to remove about 6 inches of muscle...but he hasn't shown a problem until now and that injury is about 9 or so months old now :/
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-15-2012, 09:15 AM
      #14
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DriftingShadow    
    Twiz- that is the thought that's been haunting me ever since he lit up the way he did. I mean just the slightest touch on the area, not even applying pressure, and he stomps and moves away, nips at the air, swishes his tail, just over all pissy attitude. Increase the pressure the SLIGHTEST bit and he is kicking out.

    I'll feel a lot better once I hear a diagnosis and have some plan as to treatment. Just waiting kills me. I have a way too active mind. Waiting the weekend out means I just have 48 hours to scare myself to death (ha)

    Just a few weeks ago my old guy did something to his stifle. He was swollen though, but still did not want me to touch it, even if I barely brushed my fingers against it. I did cold hosing and use a topical anti-inflammatory called Release. The swelling went down in roughly two weeks. He's sound and riding fine now, but still a little fussy when I pick up that leg.
         
        09-15-2012, 10:54 AM
      #15
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
    I second that.
    Upward fixation of the patella you will know when you see it. The whole leg stays straight /stretched forward, then pops out. With a jerking upward motion. The same upward jerking if it's about to lock soon.
    And yes, building up muscle to pull the ligament tight helps. That is step one.
    Step 2 is leaving a bit more heel and square the toe, so the foot leaves the ground before the leg is in fully extended stretch.
    Step 3 would be an internal blister.
    Last resort is surgery, splitting of the ligament, which causes problems later on in life.

    Come to think about it, you mentioned low heel long toe.......if he really has a Tad bit too long of a ligament......hmmm
    I'd ask vet and farrier about the higher heel/square toe.
    Why do you say the splitting is the last resort? My gelding had his done 13 years ago, and it was the first and only option discussed. As far as giving them problems later in life, the vet told me he could be good for a year, or he could be good for 30, you never know. We are going on 14 with no issues. I wouldn't automatically disregard this method, because it does work.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-15-2012, 11:02 AM
      #16
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OutOfTheLoop    
    Why do you say the splitting is the last resort? My gelding had his done 13 years ago, and it was the first and only option discussed. As far as giving them problems later in life, the vet told me he could be good for a year, or he could be good for 30, you never know. We are going on 14 with no issues. I wouldn't automatically disregard this method, because it does work.
    Posted via Mobile Device

    Most vets recommend surgery as a last resort because of stress, healing time, things could go wrong, etc. Maybe your horse was a severe case?
         
        09-15-2012, 11:07 AM
      #17
    Yearling
    Could have been, or maybe that's all the redneck vets around her knew to do? Lol. Either way, he had 6 weeks stall rest, and when I finally turned him out, he ran through the fence and dragged it around the pasture with him with the expression on his face of " look at me!" He was no worse for the wear, and has had no side effects. Mayne its not as bad as they say, or maybe I was just one of the Lucky ones.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-15-2012, 11:26 AM
      #18
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OutOfTheLoop    
    Why do you say the splitting is the last resort? My gelding had his done 13 years ago, and it was the first and only option discussed. As far as giving them problems later in life, the vet told me he could be good for a year, or he could be good for 30, you never know. We are going on 14 with no issues. I wouldn't automatically disregard this method, because it does work.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    It is considered last resort because it can cause severe arthritic changes later in life. As you said, it can take a long time for them to show up.
    Im always for "the least invasive possible" and went for the appropriate trim and stuck with it. Had to be never longer than 6 weeks between trims or mine would lock up.

    He was a Standardbred who was given up by the trainer because he wouldn't run fast. After countless vet exams and flexing and who knows what he was given to me. Out of training just being a paddock horse he locked up the first time. Now we knew why he wouldn't run, especially after seeing his expression when locked up. Pure panic.
         
        09-15-2012, 12:02 PM
      #19
    Trained
    Come to think about it......my first horse, 4year old OTTB stallion, had an accident first time out with another horse. They ran and played, he wentbetween two trees in a full gallop, bumped into one, got his leg hung up. I heard the impact! He couldn't set the leg down, hopped in the barn on three legs. Vet call, emergency of course. Vet said " ligament slipped over the kneecap ". 6 weeks stall rest, poultice to be changed daily, hand walking after and slowly getting back to work. He came out fine!
    Should've thought about that earlier.....duh. But that was over 30 years ago so forgive me
         
        09-16-2012, 11:13 PM
      #20
    Banned
    Well just about 11 more hours until the moment of truth! Stifle was very Swolen today. He was not wanting to walk, not even to get to his food which for drifter is a very bad sign. Holding out hope for the best. Prayers, jingles, good vibes, whatever you feel like giving appreciated. Thanks all.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What is your comfort food? BubblesBlue General Off Topic Discussion 40 05-20-2012 10:39 PM
    Advice for bareback comfort?? snookums Horse Riding 28 04-01-2012 06:21 PM
    Equine Comfort half pad? DejaVu Horse Tack Reviews 2 12-21-2011 04:06 PM
    What's YOUR comfort food? Hidalgo13 General Off Topic Discussion 63 05-20-2011 11:18 PM
    comfort for spookyness? meg92 Horse Training 10 08-17-2010 07:11 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:07 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0