Losing HAIR =/ - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Losing HAIR =/

This is a discussion on Losing HAIR =/ within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Will a bleach bath kill onchocerciasis?
  • Skin rash after worming horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-10-2010, 04:38 PM
  #11
Green Broke
Woops, missed that part . Hmm, I have had good luck using Corona Ointment to grow hair back on stubborn wounds/scrapes. It's anti-bacterial plus is has a lot of lanolin, which is good for the skin. I would put that on after using whatever liquid you want to use to kill any fungus or bacteria (like the bleach solution or Speed Racer's suggestion), after it's dry or close to dry.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-10-2010, 04:57 PM
  #12
Started
I have also heard Head and Shoulders works on fungus ...
     
    08-10-2010, 06:53 PM
  #13
Green Broke
If that wasn't caused by rubbing himself on a round feeder or something else, as has been suggested, it's possible he has neck threadworms, a/k/a hairworms, a/k/a Onchocerca worms <--- thanks to Midge fly bites which also produce sweet itch.

You might consider asking your vet about double-dosing him with PURE Ivermectin. You can buy 1.87% Ivermectin at TSC.

I was a naysayer that the skin outbreaks on two of my horses faces, neck, crest, belly were caused by hairworms, but I wormed anyway and that's what it was - hairworms.

The way you know if it is hairworms causing the skin rashes, is that the rash will get much worse after worming before it gets better. That is because the microfiliae are dying off.

Again, ask your vet's opinion, but I'll bet $$$ he/she will say "no, it's just a summer heat rash." Since you deal with this every summer (when the midge flies are out in full force), you could then ask the vet to do a skin scraping to be sure.

As far as a topical, you could try mixing some Fur-All or Corona cream with some Desitin to help the healing process
     
    08-10-2010, 08:18 PM
  #14
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchfuller    
How old is your horse?

It looks like he has a thick coat- have you thought about body clipping him? If it is a fungus, maybe that will help keep it down. Also how much do you bath? Maybe you need to wash more to keep the skin/hair clean?

Just some thoughts
he is 19ish

This was a very long time ago.. I don't relaly consider duke's coat thick but maybe..

I am currently bathing everyday! Or at least everytime I can get a chance.. he gets baths after every riding or training session.. im obsessed with my horse being clean haha and that he is!
     
    08-10-2010, 08:19 PM
  #15
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchfuller    
How old is your horse?

It looks like he has a thick coat- have you thought about body clipping him? If it is a fungus, maybe that will help keep it down. Also how much do you bath? Maybe you need to wash more to keep the skin/hair clean?

Just some thoughts
he is 19ish

This was a very long time ago.. I don't relaly consider duke's coat thick but maybe..

I am currently bathing everyday! Or at least everytime I can get a chance.. he gets baths after every riding or training session.. im obsessed with my horse being clean haha and that he is!

Thanks!
     
    08-10-2010, 08:23 PM
  #16
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
No rinsing. Leave it on the skin.

Hmm... maybe that's where I had been going wrong.. I rinse the bleach sollution out..

Thanks!
     
    08-10-2010, 08:24 PM
  #17
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979    
Woops, missed that part . Hmm, I have had good luck using Corona Ointment to grow hair back on stubborn wounds/scrapes. It's anti-bacterial plus is has a lot of lanolin, which is good for the skin. I would put that on after using whatever liquid you want to use to kill any fungus or bacteria (like the bleach solution or Speed Racer's suggestion), after it's dry or close to dry.
haha... that's ok.. and yes we do have a round hay feeder(cattle kind)... but he didnt have one at his last location where he got this so that rules rubbing out..

I have corona and will start using that!
     
    08-10-2010, 08:26 PM
  #18
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinthewalk    
If that wasn't caused by rubbing himself on a round feeder or something else, as has been suggested, it's possible he has neck threadworms, a/k/a hairworms, a/k/a Onchocerca worms <--- thanks to Midge fly bites which also produce sweet itch.

You might consider asking your vet about double-dosing him with PURE Ivermectin. You can buy 1.87% Ivermectin at TSC.

I was a naysayer that the skin outbreaks on two of my horses faces, neck, crest, belly were caused by hairworms, but I wormed anyway and that's what it was - hairworms.

The way you know if it is hairworms causing the skin rashes, is that the rash will get much worse after worming before it gets better. That is because the microfiliae are dying off.

Again, ask your vet's opinion, but I'll bet $$$ he/she will say "no, it's just a summer heat rash." Since you deal with this every summer (when the midge flies are out in full force), you could then ask the vet to do a skin scraping to be sure.

As far as a topical, you could try mixing some Fur-All or Corona cream with some Desitin to help the healing process

That's a very good thought... my barn owner that is SUPPOSE to be worming the horses on a regular basis isnt exactly doing it on time.. which could explain duke being fine until this past week... (duke has been due for a week for his wormer).. im bug my bo about it until it is done.. or do the horses myself which may happen.. so duke not having his wormer could be the issue?
     
    08-10-2010, 08:55 PM
  #19
Green Broke
Bathing too often is not good for the horse's coat either. Rinsing daily is fine, but you should not use shampoo more than once a week. Scrubbing this area with betadine or other medicated shampoo is probably a good idea, but I wouldn't shampoo him that often.
     
    08-10-2010, 11:45 PM
  #20
Started
^agree .. once a week bath is good enough. I rince after every ride ..

Good to know that he isn't the furry all the time
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mare hind legs swelling, losing hair...Thoughts? RadHenry09 Horse Health 12 07-04-2010 11:35 PM
Losing hair on cheeckbones? CountryJay Horse Health 10 04-24-2010 02:29 PM
Worms/Losing Hair cowwgrl Horse Health 6 04-02-2009 10:25 AM
Losing hair on face.... idance0nhooves Horse Grooming 7 09-11-2008 06:17 PM
losing weight Annabel Horse Training 10 05-28-2007 03:48 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0