I appreciate any thoughts or help with this situation!!
I'm going to try and make a long story short...... my daughter's horse has suffered from off and on lameness (always in the right front foot) over the past year. Usually the problem has been solved with a little rest or some work by the farrier. About 2 months ago, the mare came up lame again so we decided to do a full lameness exam -ultrasound, X-rays, etc. The x-rays showed some chronic damage to the collateral ligament and some navicular changes going on. After some stall rest, we blocked the coffin joint. That helped a little but didn't get her back too 100%. So the vet injected the navicular bursa. After waiting a couple of days, my daughter got on her and she was great outside in the deep sand but came up lame on the harder indoor surface. So we started applying turpentine ands only riding her outside. She had been great until last night when she came up a little lame outside (I should add lame to the right but beautiful to the left). Needless to say my daughter is a little frustrated.
There are a couple of variables --- the mare is due to get her hochs injected today. Her trainer thinks that might be affecting this a little (shifting her weight forward to help her sore hocks in the back) and it rained the other day and the outside sand was not as soft as it had been before the rain. The farrier is going to build a shoe with a special pad to help protect the bottom of her feet too.
So, that's where we are at. I'd love any thoughts or comments or experiences that might help us.