Mad at new farrier - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 Old 05-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,289
• Horses: 0
Great post by Indy.

If there was absolutely no problem with the horse's feet, I wouldn't necessarily feel the need to be at the appointment. BUT since you are having isssues, a direct conversation with the farrier is critical.

Farrier day at a boarding barn is a busy, confusing day with lots going on. VERY easy for the BO/BM to neglect to tell the farrier some piece of into or for the farrier to just shoe the next horse brought to him without question.
maura is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 42 Old 05-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 513
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyhorse View Post
It's a good idea to always be there when you horse's feet are being trimmed/shod. It's easy when you are boarding to slack off this responsibility, but you miss out on both being able to accurately pass on important information to your farrier (like the fact your horse over-reaches) as well as miss out on any important details about the trim or things your farrier can teach you about your horses feet. BO's are busy and don't always make this communication a priority - nor is it their responsibility to. Make a point to always be attending your own horse for ANY farrier or vet appointment.
Bingo!

My blog ~Life and Horses~
Ktibb is offline  
post #13 of 42 Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 154
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Make a point to always be attending your own horse for ANY farrier or vet appointment.
Yep, I have a huge pet peve on people who don't and think they have a bad farrier because of it.... its your fault not his. I work and go to school and still call time off to be there at the appointment. I'm always an hour early and don't expect to be out of the barn by the end of the day lol.
Fluffy Pony is offline  
post #14 of 42 Old 05-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 513
• Horses: 1
Fluffy Pony: LOVE your avatar pic!

My blog ~Life and Horses~
Ktibb is offline  
post #15 of 42 Old 05-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyhorse View Post
It's a good idea to always be there when you horse's feet are being trimmed/shod. It's easy when you are boarding to slack off this responsibility, but you miss out on both being able to accurately pass on important information to your farrier (like the fact your horse over-reaches) as well as miss out on any important details about the trim or things your farrier can teach you about your horses feet. BO's are busy and don't always make this communication a priority - nor is it their responsibility to. Make a point to always be attending your own horse for ANY farrier or vet appointment.
Can't agree more. You are the one who knows your horse the best to tell farrier about (potential) issues. Or if you absolutely can't make an appointment (things happen) explain the farrier on a phone what you want and what are your concerns as well as to your BO (from my experience good BO will take it into account).

However I also agree with iride - good farrier will always evaluate how the horse moves (especially the new horse) before doing the job. And frankly while I've seen horses, who didn't need trim for 3-4 months on regular basis those were exceptions, most still need to be trimmed at 6-8 weeks schedule (often depending on time of year).
kitten_Val is offline  
post #16 of 42 Old 05-26-2010, 01:45 PM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
Actually the term is "forging". A new farrier, at least a good one, will watch a horse move before starting his work. How can a blacksmith know how to properly trim a horse without knowing how he/she moves and what the horse's job is?
Sorry - must correct.

When a horse hits the bottom of a front hoof with a rear toe it is called forging.

Over reaching is when the toe hits the pastern or fetlock.
mls is offline  
post #17 of 42 Old 05-26-2010, 01:51 PM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyhorse View Post
It's a good idea to always be there when you horse's feet are being trimmed/shod. It's easy when you are boarding to slack off this responsibility, but you miss out on both being able to accurately pass on important information to your farrier (like the fact your horse over-reaches) as well as miss out on any important details about the trim or things your farrier can teach you about your horses feet. BO's are busy and don't always make this communication a priority - nor is it their responsibility to. Make a point to always be attending your own horse for ANY farrier or vet appointment.
I am going to partly disagree here.

The majority of my boarders have never met their farrier. They choose to use the barn farrier and he comes every other Tuesday morning.

Our farrier will watch a horse move prior to even picking up a hoof. He introduces himself to the horse, looks him over and then starts his job.

Too many newbie horse owners out there think they should tell the farrier (and vet, trainer, barn owner, etc) how to correctly care for their horse. There are cases when information needs to be communicated but a good farrier can access the situation and adjust accordingly.

In fact our farrier perfers several of the owners to NOT be there. When "Pookie" acts up, owner says 'no no' and Pookie proceeds to become more naughty. BO growls QUIT and Pookie does so - RFN. At $35 a trim, it's so not worth an idiot horse hurting my wonderful farrier.
mls is offline  
post #18 of 42 Old 05-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,968
• Horses: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls View Post
I am going to partly disagree here.

The majority of my boarders have never met their farrier. They choose to use the barn farrier and he comes every other Tuesday morning.

Our farrier will watch a horse move prior to even picking up a hoof. He introduces himself to the horse, looks him over and then starts his job.

Too many newbie horse owners out there think they should tell the farrier (and vet, trainer, barn owner, etc) how to correctly care for their horse. There are cases when information needs to be communicated but a good farrier can access the situation and adjust accordingly.

In fact our farrier perfers several of the owners to NOT be there. When "Pookie" acts up, owner says 'no no' and Pookie proceeds to become more naughty. BO growls QUIT and Pookie does so - RFN. At $35 a trim, it's so not worth an idiot horse hurting my wonderful farrier.
Oh I get your point and agree - to an extent. In a perfect world horse owners should know what proper farrier work looks like, and know when to leave the work to the professionals. Too many people "giving orders" to either farrier or vet, when said orders are not in the horses best interest - can certainly be a huge headache if you are a BO, no doubt!

But I assume (I know, me being the optimist here) that most people on this board are either relatively well educated about proper care for their horses or are at least trying to LEARN - and this is why I specified your farrier can teach you much about your horses feet, as well - kinda hard to learn when you are banned from the barn while the farrier worked on your horse.

From my personal standpoint, I would never, ever permit a farrier to work on my horse if he had problems with me observing - but then again my horses must behave for the farrier or face consequences for it as well - especially as these days my horses' farrier is me!


Indyhorse is offline  
post #19 of 42 Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls View Post
Sorry - must correct.

When a horse hits the bottom of a front hoof with a rear toe it is called forging.

Over reaching is when the toe hits the pastern or fetlock.
Which is what I thought the OP was describing since her horse was loosing shoes due to the condition.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #20 of 42 Old 05-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,772
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
Which is what I thought the OP was describing since her horse was loosing shoes due to the condition.
It was my understanding that a lot of times, a horse will catch the heel of the shoe (over-reach, perhaps clip the heel bulb or pastern before sliding down and catching the shoe) that rips the shoe off?


The lovely images above provided by CVLC Photography cvlphotography.com
JustDressageIt is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome