Manure Fork question as well as Hay to Pasture
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Manure Fork question as well as Hay to Pasture

This is a discussion on Manure Fork question as well as Hay to Pasture within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Hay or manure fork
  • How much is a manure fork

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-14-2011, 10:53 PM
  #1
Weanling
Manure Fork question as well as Hay to Pasture

Is the purpose of the fork so the dirt can be left in cleaning up the Manure? Using a shovel so far and sure picks up a good bit of dirt

Also, I have had my horse in the pasture during the days for about 4 days now and my question is if he is getting alot of grass from the pasture, about 10 hrs or so per day, does he even need hay? I give pellets twice a day as well as hay twice a day plus now the grazing. I mite just start leaving the gate open to where he can go graze at night if he wants to as well. During winter I plan to plant rye so he can graze pretty much yr round.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-15-2011, 01:29 PM
  #2
Started
Yes, a fork allows bedding or dirt to fall thru so you pretty much just have the poo to toss away. Using a shovel can work if you have a rake to pull the poo onto it. Not as easy and harder work. ;) If you limit pasture time for more than a very few hours you will need to be sure there is hay available. Horses are grazing animals and their digestion suffers if they have no munchies for many hours.
     
    08-16-2011, 12:57 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appyt    
Yes, a fork allows bedding or dirt to fall thru so you pretty much just have the poo to toss away. Using a shovel can work if you have a rake to pull the poo onto it. Not as easy and harder work. ;) If you limit pasture time for more than a very few hours you will need to be sure there is hay available. Horses are grazing animals and their digestion suffers if they have no munchies for many hours.
i wonder how much hay a horse needs to hold him for an 8 hr period? And that's in case you don't have grazing grass at the time
     
    08-16-2011, 08:12 PM
  #4
Started
Quote:
i wonder how much hay a horse needs to hold him for an 8 hr period? And that's in case you don't have grazing grass at the time
I would suggest using a hay net with the small holes and filling it with 2 flakes. This would keep him busy longer rather than scarfing it up quickly and then having nothing. He probably would only eat about half of it.. I like to have feed available but I don't like it flung around and wasted. ;) I would also guess around 5-10# to be safe. Adjust as you see what is needed.
     
    08-16-2011, 10:59 PM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appyt    
I would suggest using a hay net with the small holes and filling it with 2 flakes. This would keep him busy longer rather than scarfing it up quickly and then having nothing. He probably would only eat about half of it.. I like to have feed available but I don't like it flung around and wasted. ;) I would also guess around 5-10# to be safe. Adjust as you see what is needed.
is hay different from grass as far as what the horse wants? Do they prefer one over the other ? I guess hay is basically grass anyway though.
     
    08-16-2011, 11:20 PM
  #6
Trained
Some lazy horses prefer hay because they can just stand there & eat. But overall, I have ran across more horses that like grazing on grass.
     
    08-17-2011, 12:55 AM
  #7
Yearling
Do they prefer hay or grass? Depends on the hay and the grass. ;o)

Alfalfa over green grass.
Green grass over coastal. (The greener/shorter the grass typically the more sugary it is)
Coastal hay over burnt grass.
     
    08-17-2011, 11:42 AM
  #8
Started
Quote:
is hay different from grass as far as what the horse wants? Do they prefer one over the other ? I guess hay is basically grass anyway though.
Hay is grass but it is dried grass. Most horses crave live grass over regular grass hay. I've had some who would eat hay anytime and others who stick up their noses as soon as the grass comes up in spring.

Alfalfa isn't technically grass tho it is forage.. Most horses think it's sugar so heck yes they want that. Lol
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who doesn't clean stalls so manure piles up then feeds on the manure to prevent colic delynn Horse Health 95 01-03-2011 03:25 AM
Pasture question RoxanneElizabeth Barn Maintenance 4 05-17-2010 02:51 PM
What kind of manure fork do you use? travlingypsy Horse Talk 9 10-26-2008 07:02 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0