Mare "always" in heat now heavily bleeding.... :/ - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-16-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,178
• Horses: 0
Mare "always" in heat now heavily bleeding.... :/

Sorry its long, please read all of the bits and pieces

A while back I posted a thread regarding a mare here who never seems to go out of heat, she is a boarders horse and has been here since last fall. Everyone seemed to have the same opinion regarding her as what I had already told the boarder.

Friday morning when I was out feeding everyone this 20 year old "white" mare had a "red" tail and back legs!
She was streaked in blood, bloody tail, back legs, dark clots stuck in her furr, it looked like she'd just delivered a really messy foal. She was acting more or less normal, eating and in no obvious shock or pain. I called the vet and called her owner, the vet I called responded with a "I don't know/Wait and see" and the owner, very alarmed, came and washed the mare up.
She has since started mounting mares, went from the low man on the pecking order (always running from the other horses) to getting in kick fights with the boss. She is usually quite quiet and manageable for her beginner owners and now likes to push them over.

Since they'd brought her here I assumed hormone imbalance of some sort or reproductive organ tumor of some sort with this mare. The blood pushed the owner into looking into the problem of the mare never going out of heat. Vet #2 was called and the mare was palpated. Nothing obvious was found wrong. He drew blood to check the hormone level and gave them all the normal/OK. He is puzzled and a bit alarmed by the bleeding (she is still lightly dripping the occasional blood but nothing like that found Friday) The vet has left it as a wait and see or he suggests taking her to State to have more tests run. This, of course, is the mares owners call more than mine.

I'd like to see an ultrasound done on her to confirm she has no tumor and I think this will be the next step but other than that I am out. Has anyone heard of this?
She has never been pregnant. Has had no contact with a stallion and this was not a miscarriage.
Last month she started coughing, the vet called it heaves for lack of finding anything else wrong but it seems odly timed with this.
And lastly, the mare trips and occasionally falls quite often. The vets don't seem to care but I find it odd and certainly dangerous considering she is a fourteen year old girls trail horse.
New_image is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 18 Old 05-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: in my stables
Posts: 1,210
• Horses: 9
Odd the vet knows nothing is there a university hospital you can send her to perhaps for indept tests

To give a horse your heart guarantees a love that will last forever undamageable
MaggiStar is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,178
• Horses: 0
I informed the owner last week when it happened if she were my mare we'd be headed down to MSU.

The vet here drew blood but is hesitating to send it in because he says blood tests will not show hormone levels or if she has a tumor. I don't understand this and told him to send it anyway and have a whole blood panel work up done on this mare.

She is now doing just as a I predicted and leaking a puss like "infection" goo. I assumed this would happen as something ruptured and bled which means something "could" become infected. Both vets say antibiotics will not help whatever "it is" and I have ignored that, started giving her a feed threw antibiotic this morning as I feel trying something is better than the nothing happening here. She does not have a temp, yet. But I'm sure thats next.
New_image is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Originally Posted by New_image View Post
Both vets say antibiotics will not help whatever "it is" and I have ignored that, started giving her a feed threw antibiotic this morning as I feel trying something is better than the nothing happening here. She does not have a temp, yet. But I'm sure thats next.

What? TWO vets have said an antibiotic will not help - yet you have decided differently for your boarders horse? For shame! Not knowing what the issue is, you are putting the mare at risk by lowering her immunity.

It is possible she has a uterine infection and feed threw? (I believe you mean through or correctly termed oral) antibiotics are not the drug of choice. She would need a lavage to flush her uterus.

IF that is what is going on. Please do not second guess the professionals. Talk to the boarder and send the mare down for a work up at the U.
mls is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
It sounds like there is more going on here than your local vets want to deal with. Please suggest the owner send her to the university for further testing.

I am not sure the purpose of giving antibiotics if two vets specifically told you not to.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gloomy Indianapolis
Posts: 799
• Horses: 1
This sounds pretty serious, I have never heard of a mare bleeding like that! Honestly, I would do everything I could to scare the bejeezus out of the owner so they take her somewhere, this isn't something to blow off.
Jacksmama is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,387
• Horses: 3
Either take the mare to an equine hospital and bill the owner, or have her do it.

Giving the mare antibiotics when not one but TWO vets said it was contraindicated, is all sorts of wrong. You're not a vet or the owner of the animal, so you have no right to give unauthorized medication.

I know it's frustrating for you to watch this mare suffer, but she's not your animal and you don't get to make the decisions on her health care.

You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!
Speed Racer is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,178
• Horses: 0
Good grief! Un-knot you're panties all, the vets did not say NOT to give her antibiotics, they said that they don't think that it will help nor hurt. I am simply trying "something" and the owner knows this.

Speed racer, taking the mare to a hospital and billing the owner would contradict you're last statement would it not? don't get to make the decisions on her health care. Thats right, I -UNFORTUNATELY- do not get to make the calls or she WOULD have been in the trailer Friday morning!!!

This IS well over the local vets heads and they do not know where to go from here.

I continue to suggest to the owner to take her to state.

I posted wondering if anyone has heard of this, not to be yelled at.
New_image is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
First of all, no one yelled at you. Secondly, did I read it correctly that the owners are inexperienced - so asking them if you could administer antibiotics is rather pointless since they don't know any better.

2 vets saying that antibiotics won't help sure sounds like I wouldn't be giving it unless I, at least, asked if it would do no harm.

You need to get through to the owners that the horse's well being, if not life, is at stake and they need to get her to the proper facility.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 90
• Horses: 2
I agree with your original thoughts of ovarian tumor, specifically a granulosa cell tumor with the behavioural symptoms you described and I have read about the tumors rupturing causing massive hemorrhage but it would be into the abdominal cavity and therefore contained within the body. I can not think of anything to correlate the behavior with the bleeding and the falling! If they decide to take her to MSU for further testing please let us know what they find out.
Masquerade is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do female goats go into "heat"? SpiritedLittleCopperSpots Farm Animals 22 12-23-2010 04:55 PM
What is the "Bleeding Heart" class ? RadHenry09 Western Riding 5 08-15-2010 02:48 PM
~ "Jumped" A Full Course On Night Heat flamingauburnmustang Jumping 2 07-11-2010 03:09 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome