Mare infection! I need help asap!Update: Mare is fine! baby too. - The Horse Forum
 212Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 97 Old 04-10-2012, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wide Open North Dakota, USA
Posts: 977
• Horses: 2
Exclamation Mare infection! I need help asap!Update: Mare is fine! baby too.

K so my mare just had her baby on Friday. I wasn't there for the birth. Well, I was checking both mama and baby and I am 98% sure mama has an infection because she didn't expel all of her placenta. Vet clinic is closed, and I can't afford to call him over. We have oxytocin in the fridge at the stable for emergencies, however it is frozen. I will be giving it to her tomorrow morning, but I need help and info first.

1. How many cc's should I give her? I'm guessing she weighs about 850-100 lbs
2. What size needle should I use?
3. Should I give it in her butt or neck? Or neither? Does it matter?
4. What should I be looking for?

Please help because I am freaking out. My dad sold my pickup from under me so it takes a while to arrange transport to the vet. Using the oxytocin is my first option, and if it doesn't work I will take her to the vet. But I don't know much about it, or the whole birth thing in general. Please help because I have no clue what to do. I work at a hospital, so I know what an infection looks and smells like, also there are two other people at the stable who looked at her and do agree that she is starting to get an infection. Hunny takes shots well, so I am not worried about that, I'm just worried about what to look for. How do I know if she got it out? Thanks help is appreciated a lot :)

You have to learn how to fall before you can learn how to ride~
cowgirl928 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 97 Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,378
• Horses: 2
If she is infected, the time for using Oxy to cause expulsion is long past. The long and sort of it is that the mare needs to be seen, properly diagnosed and treated with more than oxy.
themacpack is offline  
post #3 of 97 Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
If she has an infection she will need more than just oxytocin. JMHO. I am sorry, but I would be calling the vet. I would not risk my mare's life.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #4 of 97 Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,772
• Horses: 2
Vet...ASAP.

If she isn't seen, she could die, and so can baby.

Side Note: Can the infection spread into the milk of mom and pass into foal?

"The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with
him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."

-Samuel Butler
CLaPorte432 is offline  
post #5 of 97 Old 04-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,888
• Horses: 2
You're going to be lucky if you HAVE a live horse to haul to the Vet. Waiting around or fooling around with hopeful home remedies is a really bad idea.
NdAppy and candandy49 like this.
Delfina is offline  
post #6 of 97 Old 04-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Somewhere on Vancouver Island
Posts: 601
• Horses: 0
Not expelling the placenta with in hours of the birth is considered a dire emergency......get your horse and foal to a vet ASAP

If she has an infection she her uterus will need flushing with antibiotics and saline.....this will need to be done by a vet.

Super Nova
NdAppy and candandy49 like this.
Super Nova is offline  
post #7 of 97 Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wide Open North Dakota, USA
Posts: 977
• Horses: 2
She doesn't have a fever at this point, she is acting normal and energetic, and I do not have the vets number, not to mention the transportation to get her to the vet at this time. One of the ladies I spoke to has foaled out a lot of mares and I trust her opinion. I am calling the vet as soon as they open tomorrow to arrange an appointment, but since calling them is pointless at this point in time because all I will get is an answering machine, I have to wait. It is going to be to cold tonight to give her oxytocin for fear of her getting too sweaty and cold and developing pneumonia. The barn is not insulated so sticking her in there only protects from the elements, not the temperature. All I can do at this point in time is either wait, or give her the oxytocin and see if it helps. The ladies at the stable that used to work at a breeding ranch agree that yes, she didn't pass all of it, but they do think that using the oxytocin first may get it out. Either way I'm calling the vet, but if there is a chance of her passing it before getting her to the vet for a for sure check I am going to try it.

Edit: the stable doesn't have a chute for the vet to do a house call, unless we used the vet clinic next door and I do not think they would be super happy about that.

You have to learn how to fall before you can learn how to ride~
cowgirl928 is offline  
post #8 of 97 Old 04-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
So there is a vet next door who has a chute, but you are not using them? Are they not equine? I would ask! Perhaps they would charge you , but with the price of gas, it may be a wash, and much less trauma for mama.
Lexiie likes this.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #9 of 97 Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wide Open North Dakota, USA
Posts: 977
• Horses: 2
They are not equine, the only large animal they treat is cows. All they do for horses is coggins test and shots, but they really are as helpful as going to a small animal vet when it comes to horse care. The main problem is the time, the fact that my paycheck isn't here til Friday, and I don't have the vet's on call number. The people at the stable who deal with horse birth frequently are sure that oxytocin will get it out, so for the sake of the fact that I am going to try everything, she is getting it tomorrow. So back to my questions, How much do I give her, and what size needle? I have school from 8am-1pm tomorrow with no breaks in-between, and I am not just letting her sit that time without something maybe happening. So I am giving it to her tomorrow, I just have questions about it. Telling me to take her to the vet isn't really helping at this point, I know she needs to go to the vet and she will go, but I can't skip school without getting my butt handed to me on a silver platter by my academic advisor, my mother, and my teachers. If she gets it out with the oxytocin good for her, but she is still going to the vet regardless.

You have to learn how to fall before you can learn how to ride~
cowgirl928 is offline  
post #10 of 97 Old 04-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Quad Cities, IL
Posts: 1,775
• Horses: 3
I hope you realize that vets normally (especially in an emergency) don't expect you to pay NOW! They treat your horse and send the bill. It's your choice either call the vet or be prepared to quite possibly lose your horse altogether.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oxer and FlyGap like this.
Poco1220 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cute Dappled Mare must sell ASAP Tamibunny Horses for Sale 0 01-13-2011 10:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome