Originally Posted by cowgirl928
K so my mare just had her baby on Friday. I wasn't there for the birth. Well, I was checking both mama and baby and I am 98% sure mama has an infection because she didn't expel all of her placenta.
Using the oxytocin is my first option, and if it doesn't work I will take her to the vet. But I don't know much about it, or the whole birth thing in general. I work at a hospital, so I know what an infection looks and smells like."
Hello...I appreciate how stressful and difficult the situation you are in is...I know literally next to nothing regarding equine maternity care. But, working as an RN in labor & delivery for humans x 6+ of my 15 year career, I know a LOT about that subject and some info MAY (?) be similar...
For example, if there IS even a tiny retained placental fragment, that is an immediate life threatening emergency for human women. However, the absolute hallmark of such is a lot of bleeding. The fragment essentially prevents the uterus from properly "clamping down", or contracting, upon itself. This is human physiology of course, however, I believe IF THERE WERE RETAINED PLACENTA, the mare would probably have bled quite a lot...(anyone?).
My gut feeling/possible guess? A beginning infection related to a non-placental retention issue. Of course no LESS THREATNING TO HER LIFE, but genuinely not an Oxytocin-type treatable situation, since ALL that Oxy does is cause intense contraction of the uterus = expulsion of a foal or separation & then expulsion of an intact placenta in stage 4 of labor. Oxy is not used to expel placental FRAGMENTS in humans, as the ONLY WAY TO REMOVE THEM is a curtage (scraping), after a VERY CAREFUL INITIAL PALPATION of the inner uterine wall, BY THE MD, to find the fragment, to then release the errant piece of placenta.
Infection post-partum is extremely common in humans and is life threatning. From your description, infection seems highly likely in your mare, and God willing, she is not yet so infected as to have caused her to become febrile, so hopefully the vet can discern what exactly is going on in the morning and treat her.
She is not cold, temp wise, correct? Too low a temp CAN BE at times much more dangerous and thus worse than a fever, as it can point to shock. Thus, is her temp NORMAL?
Is she eating and drinking and moving about normally? What is her interest level in caring for her foal at this time, as all are good indicators of where she now is, health-wise.
Though obviously I know I likely did nothing to help you out with the ACTUAL situation, I DO REALLY HOPE I "may" have been able to offer SOME piece of mind, or things to think on while waiting to see the vet tomorrow?
I wish you the absolute most luck possible, and will pray for your mare and foal and for you tonight. Take care of yourself so you can be there for mom and baby...