Mare infection! I need help asap!Update: Mare is fine! baby too. - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 97 Old 04-11-2012, 04:29 AM
Green Broke
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,655
• Horses: 10
NEVER tell somebody to start giving drugs like penicillin over the internet. It is so incredibly dangerous.

As for the OP, I am once again gobsmacked that people think it is even remotely appropriate to come to the internet when a situation so obviously calls for a vet. Make all the excuses you like, it doesn't change the fact that you made an irresponsible choice regarding the health of both mare and foal.

As for the vet coming out tomorrow? I would be insisting that somebody came now. If she has retained any part of the placenta you are in the midst of an emergency.
NdAppy, Speed Racer, AlexS and 2 others like this.

Trojan 09.11.02 - 26.10.10 // Kody 01.09.89-25.06.12 // Rex 05.11.95-21.12.12
HowClever is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #32 of 97 Old 04-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
CMarie-you are exactly the kind of "antibiotics for everything" type of person who has helped us get many of the resistant strains we have today. They are not the answer to everything and should NOT be given "just because". I would NOT give them without a vet. I bet you do rotational worming too and with no fecals......just guessing. :-/
themacpack likes this.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #33 of 97 Old 04-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,289
• Horses: 0
I'm stuck on a really basic question -

Did anyone check the placenta after the mare delivered? This is pretty much Foaling 101; you lay the placenta out on the floor or the stall and check for missing pieces or if it's incomplete; since the is a foal shaped bag turned inside out, a missing piece is pretty obvious if you lay the thing out.

Do not give penicillin. In addition to all the other reasons given, it's highly unlikely that penicllin will be effective in treating a uterine infection; uterine infections are usually in the spectrum that penicilln is not effective against. But most important, giving penicillin know will ruin any chance of a vet being able to culture the infection and prescribe an effective antibiotic. Giving penicillin now will actually make the horse more difficult to treat down the road.

Whether or not this mare has a retained placenta, if you suspect uterine infection from whatever source, it is a legitimate veterinary emergency.

I have never heard of a vet insisting on a palpation chute for an exam unless the mare is wild and uncontrollable. You can examine a mare by backing her up to a stall door and having the vet work over the stall door.

Last edited by maura; 04-11-2012 at 07:06 AM.
maura is offline  
post #34 of 97 Old 04-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,132
• Horses: 0
Maura - on the chute thing - The vets here insist on it for safety reasons (for both horse and vet) unless they know your horse and how it will react due to previous interactions.
NdAppy is offline  
post #35 of 97 Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cedarville, OH
Posts: 909
• Horses: 0
OP>I hope your mare and foal make it through this. May I suggest an older person who has had horses for many years on a budget?
I have an emergency vet fund. It has 800.00 in it.
I do not spend it for anything else, and you don't have to start with that much.
Just put twenty bucks from each check away and don't spend it.

Sorry if this is off topic. Susan
WildAcreFarms likes this.

Horses are proof that God love's us and wants us to be happy!
Susan Crumrine is offline  
post #36 of 97 Old 04-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,995
• Horses: 0
Just a few facts needed here:

First, Oxytocin can be given about any time. We use it day before breeding if a mare's uterus is a little big or we have been treating for an infection. It causes uterine contractions and helps expel fluids and shrinks the uterus, even in non-foaling mares. It is appropriate to give in this situation.

Second, Founder is your biggest possible problem if she did, indeed, retain part of her placenta. Founder following a retained placenta is usually a very catastrophic founder. The hotter the weather, the faster this happens.

If she did retain part of her placenta, she will probably have drainage and a discharge by now.

Thirdly, Antibiotics like Penicillin are pretty useless. To deal with a uterine infection from a retained placenta, the antibiotics need to be infused with a large volume of saline solution directly into the uterus. Shots are useless.

Most big breeding farms are set up to do all of these things 'in house'. Otherwise, you need to get mare to an equine Vet or have him meet you at a breeding farm.

All breeding farms have stocks. We let other people use ours and let other Vets come here to doctor their horses. Most breeding farms will let you do this.

visit us at

Last edited by Cherie; 04-11-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Cherie is offline  
post #37 of 97 Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,044
• Horses: 2
Cmarie, I know that penicillian is one of the better antibiotics, BUT, how do YOU know the foal won't have a reaction? How do You know how much to give a mare you have never seen?
I have been working for vets for so many years, I see reality of what happens when something is given without careful thought. YOU are basically giving a diagnosis and treatment plan over the internet, to an owner with a mare and foal that you have never seen.
Cherie, you are right about the Oxytocin, I have it on hand for breeding dogs.However, I was just suggesting that the OP should not be giving a shot like this over the internet diagnosis and amount to give her mare without being knowledgeable about what happens and the things that can happen.You have been breeding/foaling for years and have experience to know what to do and when to do it and how much to do. The OP does not, she is just going on bits of information she is getting from others.
We know she is totally new about foals and breeding, so jumping in and giving antibiotics and Oxytocin willy nilly is not something I would suggest.
However its not my mare and foal.
wyominggrandma is offline  
post #38 of 97 Old 04-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Green Broke
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Some times Llanelian - North wales, sometimes Hull in East Yorkshire (UK)
Posts: 3,679
• Horses: 5
People giving antibiotic willy nilly, wrong doses or incomplete courses of antibiotics are the sole reason we have the Super bugs like MRSA!!!

I far prefer the system over here where only a vet is allowed to give any antibiotics to horses and they have to be prescribed for a perticular horse. You cannot just keep a bottle in your fridge/freezer just in case.

RIDE your horse FORWARDS and keep him STRAIGHT

faye is offline  
post #39 of 97 Old 04-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,044
• Horses: 2
There are some people starting to question giving antibiotics to mares and dogs that are nursing are causing issues to the babies with allergies and weaker immune systems...
Golden Horse likes this.
wyominggrandma is offline  
post #40 of 97 Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 525
• Horses: 0
Firstly why are you 98 percent sure she retained placenta? Was there placenta protruding from vulva after she had cleaned? My thought is that 6 days in if she had retained even a very small amount of placenta she would have a great deal of discomfort, some fever, increased heart rate etc. Is it possible she has a small tear from foaling and therefor some discharge which may smell rancid and require treatment? In either case I do agree with Cherie. I am just not sure you know what you are looking at?
A mare who has retained placenta should be treated right away, posthaste because it can cause complications for future breeding. The longer you wait the less chance the mare will have of producing a foal again if she has retained placenta.
To anyone who has no foaling experience, have a vet out immediately after your mare foals to avoid problems. It will save you alot of money in the long run. The cost of caring for a mare that has gone septic vs a simple vet call at the time of birth that would include a shot to help the mare expell her afterbirth is huge.
To the OP...if you have someone who has stated your mare has retained afterbirth and they are truly well versed in horses, they would have also stressed the importance of calling a vet immediately (at time of foaling)..... within 3 hours a mare should clean or it should be considered an emergency. Im glad you have a vet coming out now and I hope it all works out and your mare is fine.
texasgal and Ripper like this.
Annnie31 is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cute Dappled Mare must sell ASAP Tamibunny Horses for Sale 0 01-13-2011 09:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome