Moldy hay = :(
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Moldy hay = :(

This is a discussion on Moldy hay = :( within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Can you feed horses moldy hay
  • Feeding moldy hay to horses

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-01-2008, 01:36 AM
  #1
Weanling
Moldy hay = :(

I found mold on the side of about 5 flaked of Lily's current bale of hay (I keep 3 bales at a time stacked on a pallet on the side of her stall for the BO to feed) I checked it because I noticed that she left a lot of hay from breakfast when I went out to clean today and while she was her normal self, she ususally "cleans up" the grub! I always check when a new bale gets opened, and if I'm doing my own feeding I check every flake I feed....just a quick sniff and general texture check, just because one end can be fine and like I just found out.....one end wasn't! I didn't get mad at the BO, but if I was feeding I would do a check of every dang flake I was feeding! You may now procede to tell me I'm an anal spaz lol........and I guess well fed horses won't eat it like Lily didn't, but moldy hay still freaks me out!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-01-2008, 08:36 AM
  #2
Banned
Yeah it would freak me out also! Ewwwww
I'd suggest having a talk with the BO, not to say "you fed my horse moldy hay, shame on you", but more of a "hey I was wondering if you could just take a quick look at the hay before feeding it to my horse, for I noticed last time I was there that the flake I looked at was a little moldy" (so you aren't blaming the BO for giving her moldy food and making her upset.)
     
    12-01-2008, 10:06 AM
  #3
Weanling
Not unusual for me to see a bit of mold in a bale I put up especially hay from fall cuttings. Never had a problem with it my horses won't eat moldy hay.
     
    12-01-2008, 10:26 AM
  #4
Showing
Typically the only time a horse will eat moldy hay is if they are extremely hungry and there is nothing else to eat. That being said, I would talk to the BO and show him/her the condition of the hay. You just never know when your horse decides to grab a little too much of it. If for nothing else he/she is paying for poor quality hay if it is all like that. If it's only a bail or two, sometimes that can't be helped.
     
    12-01-2008, 10:32 AM
  #5
Showing
I bought 16 1400lb round bales last year. There was mold in almost all of them. I made the supplier come and take every one of them back and bring me some that had been cut at a different time. We had a very wet summer last year so it was a real problem. Mine will not eat it and I had to burn the few bales that we tried. Ever burn a big round bale? It takes days. It was a real pain, so I know what your going through.
     
    12-01-2008, 10:45 AM
  #6
Started
Fire fire (click to enlarge)


Hehe I lost a hay supplier by returning a bale not only that I lost the person baling my hay ... not good but it worked out and I am happier with my second guy...

I watch each flake and IMO any good horse owner would do that ... I know when I worked at a boarding barn years ago we were told to check every flake and the BO fired somebody when she caught them throwing more then one flake at a time... I don't worry too much about the mold mine won't eat it PERIOD ... I do check everyflake when I use sqs but sometimes I miss and they leave it lay or poop on it
     
    12-01-2008, 10:48 AM
  #7
Weanling
I burned 130 round bales that weighed 1750 lbs a couple years ago. Tractor caught on fire in one of our sheds and we lost everything in it. That was one huge fire!!!!!
     
    12-01-2008, 11:11 AM
  #8
Showing
Wow, sorry to hear that! We can't burn even if I wanted to due to the dryness of our county, the amount of leaves on the ground, and the wind lately. I think a fire now could set the whole zip code blazing!

I'm feeding my three from my own round bails but I have the bail I'm using in one section of the barn and I take what I need from it each feeding. That way I can monitor any problems with the hay.
     
    12-02-2008, 08:07 PM
  #9
Weanling
I feel you on this! When I buy my bulk, and there is mold.. Oooo, upset! I try to make sure my suppliers have the bales stored indoors. But that wont help if it was wet when being baled.

Any moldy stuff I get, becomes mulch! LOL!
     
    12-08-2008, 08:40 AM
  #10
Foal
I use the small bales and if I have any problems my supplier comes and takes them back and brings me new ones. He always tries to give me top quality as he knows I will return them. It is best to work out the "return policy" in advance of a delivery. My horses usually wouldn't eat a moldy section but I can tell right away by the weight and density of the bale (both straw and hay) if there is a problem. It is more difficult to detect with a large round bale until you open it up. Just ask who ever is feeding to do a quick look and smell test for you before feeding.
Wow, sorry to hear about a fire. I am always worrying about it as we live in a traditional Swiss farmhouse, built in 1900. The barn is part of the house and alot of it is wood, the cows lived on the first floor and the occupants on the 2nd and 3rd. It would go up like a torch. We have a completely no smoking farm.
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0