Moldy Hay?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Moldy Hay?

This is a discussion on Moldy Hay? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • How much moldy hay can horses eat without getting sick
  • Can moldy hay cause horses to get nasal discharge

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-22-2012, 11:01 PM
  #1
Foal
Moldy Hay?

A few months back I bought a bale of hay for my horse. A few nights later it heavily rained. Days later I went to put my horse away and I grabbed some hay but it was completely moldy, all over ( I put the hay in the stable when I bought it) Turns out there's a leak in the roof.
Anyway, I decided not to waste it so I spread it on the floor of the chicken/duck cage for them to lay on. But my horse somehow got into the cage and started eating the moldy hay ( I don't know for how long she was doing it before I found her and stopped her).

I'm quite worried, will she get sick from the hay?

( Also the days in between the rain and putting her back in the stable I hadn't fed her the hay yet, so she didn't eat the moldy hay then, just now)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-22-2012, 11:39 PM
  #2
Yearling
Watch her closely. If any concern, call the vet. Keep her out of the henhouse ;)
     
    04-23-2012, 01:53 AM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJumperx    
Watch her closely. If any concern, call the vet. Keep her out of the henhouse ;)
Thank you (:
Haha yess that's the plan
     
    04-23-2012, 01:55 AM
  #4
Foal
Watch for nasal discharge and coughing, (heaves). I hate to say it, but many horses have had moldy hay on accident at some point in their lives. The mold spores are the cause for concern in the respiratory system. It can cause colic, so if you think there is an issue you want to listen for gut noises often. Next time you have moldy hay, get it OUT of your barn because it may be moldy from being wet - and that can cause combustion (it happened to a barn about 5 years ago where I am from, the whole barn burnt, horses died, etc). Give it to a cow farmer, cows and sheep can eat moldy hay and that way its not for waste.
     
    04-26-2012, 09:34 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94broncoxlt    
Watch for nasal discharge and coughing, (heaves). I hate to say it, but many horses have had moldy hay on accident at some point in their lives. The mold spores are the cause for concern in the respiratory system. It can cause colic, so if you think there is an issue you want to listen for gut noises often. Next time you have moldy hay, get it OUT of your barn because it may be moldy from being wet - and that can cause combustion (it happened to a barn about 5 years ago where I am from, the whole barn burnt, horses died, etc). Give it to a cow farmer, cows and sheep can eat moldy hay and that way its not for waste.
Thank you
I have been watching her and she seems to be okay.
But you can never be too sure...
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moldy hay, should I bring it back. beauforever23 Horse Talk 30 09-12-2011 08:47 PM
Moldy tack?? ScharmLily Horse Tack and Equipment 7 02-04-2011 09:59 PM
Old, dry, and moldy tack... Rockey Horse Tack and Equipment 11 01-19-2010 04:41 AM
Moldy Hay - compost or burn? Cat Horse Health 9 01-08-2009 09:35 AM
Moldy hay = :( Got2Gallop Horse Health 9 12-08-2008 09:40 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0