As some of you know I finally got Monty (the rescue Hackney pony) home yesterday. I had spoken to my amish trimmer earlier this week, knowing Monty would be coming, and he is not able to make it out to me any sooner than his normal "10 week check" for my horses, which is in 3 weeks. Now I trim my own horses and have been doing so since December, with the trimmer just coming out for guidance while I am at the learning stage, every 10 weeks. But I wasn't feeling terribly confident about taking on a new horse with bad feet on the starting trim. However I couldn't stand the thought of leaving those feet on him for three more weeks - I couldn't even stand the thought of leaving them one more day!
So I decided to dedicate the morning to getting what I could done on his front feet - I'd tackle just the fronts today and give him a few days before getting to the rears. He is a smart little guy and very willing as long as you go slow with him. So starting this morning, he wouldn't let me touch him below the shoulder. With lots of cookies, some sweat and blood (on my part!), and a few rearing episodes from him, this is the end result!
His front hooves, before:
Left front, after:
One down, one to go!
Right front after:
He looks happier now!
I know they certainly aren't perfect, a lot needs to come off his heels yet, and lots of flaring still at the toe, and they need to be more even left to right, but I figured I'd pushed him enough for having only been here 24 hours. The interior structures are dropped so low they the sole is actually convex instead of concave right now, and I certainly didn't want to take off any additional sole in a hurry to get those heels down. I figured even a rough first time by me has to be better than what he had! I'll work on it bit by bit for the next 3 weeks until my trimmer can get out and fix him up properly. Hopefully in the next few days I can get him to stop kicking and let me get to his rear feet!