Here are the pros and cons that I've come up with so far (if we were to move her):
1) We can spend time with her daily and really be able to enjoy her. She'd be only a half-mile from our house. I would really like this so that my daughter can continue to bond with our horse. She we only get out to see Lily about once a week right now, but my daughter asks to see her daily.
2) We can spend time with her without my MIL. Yes, I love my MIL but she is so overbearing when it comes to us and the horse that sometimes it isn't even fun! Imagine being able to brush and/or muck without being told how!
1) it will cost money. I'm not sure how much (I guess that would be a smart thing to find out, huh?!) but there is a self-care barn and pasture for rent that I can't imagine would be as much as a stable. It's nothing fancy, just a clean stall and small pasture (about an acre). She currently stays with my MIL for free and MIL does stalls for us when we aren't able to make it out there. Of course I really don't mind cleaning stalls anyway it's kind of relaxing in a weird way.
2) no place to ride. We're really not riding much now so I don't know how big of an issue this is in reality. We had access to an outdoor arena but some things have changed so it won't be available to us again until spring.
3) this might be too stressful for our horse - but to be honest I don't know how stressful it is for horses to move. Anyone?
I'd love to hear any thoughts on this. I know we won't be moving this winter because by the time we got everything situated it would be spring and almost time to move her back to my MIL.