To much withers? - The Horse Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-16-2013, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
• Horses: 1
To much withers?

My horse is a 5 year old quarter horse that I bought about a year ago. When I first got him in was very skinny and had little muscle mass, so my trainer sujested putting him on feed and giving wheat germ oil.
Anyways, he's still filling out but has filled out a lot except around his withers.. I find it odd that this is the one place he isn't gaining muscle and he's only 5yrs so shouldn't he's withers be fairly flat? I just want to know if this is just a gene thing? Or the muscle develops slower in this area or what?
-thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
MakeMeAMemory is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: East Coast of Australia
Posts: 89
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMeAMemory View Post
My horse is a 5 year old quarter horse that I bought about a year ago. When I first got him in was very skinny and had little muscle mass, so my trainer sujested putting him on feed and giving wheat germ oil.
Anyways, he's still filling out but has filled out a lot except around his withers.. I find it odd that this is the one place he isn't gaining muscle and he's only 5yrs so shouldn't he's withers be fairly flat? I just want to know if this is just a gene thing? Or the muscle develops slower in this area or what?
-thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Could you post some pictures?
EquineGirl1965 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 03-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,277
• Horses: 4
Welcome to the forum :)
Pictures would help. But I have to say, most horses I know who are underweight and gain it back - the last place they gain is their topline. It takes some exercise to help that come back - good nutritious food and exercise.
PunksTank is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Latvia
Posts: 1,394
• Horses: 1
Withers depend on the conformation of the horse, and the skeletal build not how much the horse is filled out tbh.
Ok, you can fill around the withers, but if they are high, you cant make it flat!
Plus - space around withers usually doesnt fill by just feeding, lots of low/long trot & canter work is needed to encourage the horse to round his back and build the back muscles - if that work issnt done, the muscles on the back never get to fill the space near withers.
Cherrij is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 13,588
• Horses: 2
.

Using the 80/20 rule, the Taller the QH is the higher the withers.

We had a border with a 17.1 had registered QH and his withers were very tall, another border with a 15.3 hand QH had slightly taller than average withers

My little 14.3 hand QH has almost no withers, our 15.1 hand has about average withers.

.

May all your Trails be happy and safe ones

Kevin
SouthernTrails is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Plus - space around withers usually doesnt fill by just feeding, lots of low/long trot & canter work is needed to encourage the horse to round his back and build the back muscles - if that work issnt done, the muscles on the back never get to fill the space near withers.
I do alot of western pleasure and hunter under saddle so his head is always low. I think it may just take some time.
MakeMeAMemory is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
• Horses: 1
Here are some before and now pictures.

Before (sorry i know you can't see very well..)
DSC04282.jpg
DSC04281.jpg

Now (Few months ago)
2012-05-22_20.13.17.jpg

I guess there isn't much difference in his withers but in the rest of him i think so.
NOTE: I've only had him for a year so i know theres still more to change.

Last edited by MakeMeAMemory; 03-17-2013 at 03:40 PM.
MakeMeAMemory is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: US
Posts: 681
• Horses: 1
It looks to me like his confirmation too, because his back looks a little lower. I think he looks pretty good, the topline will develop in time through riding.


Black Beauty 94 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Latvia
Posts: 1,394
• Horses: 1
Low head doesn't immediately mean round back. In the recent pictures its clearly visible, that his withers are a part of his conformation, however the drop of the back can be improved by lots of "round work" This means he really needs to engage his hindquarters and learn to lift his back.

By the way, there is a thread here somewhere too, about stretching exercises and one where you scratch their belly and they learn to raise their backs - this is easily done on the ground and should be fun, plus builds more muscles :)
The back will look better with time and work - but it doesnt look bad now either. for a 5 yr old he looks very good.
Cherrij is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrij View Post
Low head doesn't immediately mean round back. In the recent pictures its clearly visible, that his withers are a part of his conformation, however the drop of the back can be improved by lots of "round work" This means he really needs to engage his hindquarters and learn to lift his back.

By the way, there is a thread here somewhere too, about stretching exercises and one where you scratch their belly and they learn to raise their backs - this is easily done on the ground and should be fun, plus builds more muscles :)
The back will look better with time and work - but it doesnt look bad now either. for a 5 yr old he looks very good.
Would draw reins help him round out his back? And yes me and my trainer have been trying to get him to stay under himself more. I do stretches with him and message him sometimes, but he doesnt really like the tummy tuck thing. :/ And thank you. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
MakeMeAMemory is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mutton withers or hollow withers? IndianHorseWhisperer Horse Conformation Critique 26 11-15-2012 11:18 AM
Does He Have High Withers or Low Withers? (And wide/narrow backs) HannahC Horse Conformation Critique 7 05-25-2012 10:13 AM
Pain around withers? GreenTreeFrog Horse Health 13 03-17-2011 03:53 AM
Getting Saddle Off the Withers AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Tack and Equipment 4 06-06-2010 08:54 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome