And now I'm scared.
It took her until July last year to get over last year's case of mud fever (which she picked up mid-March) and I'll probably die if I have to treat her for mud fever for that long again.
Her field isn't that muddy yet either. It's a little muddy in spots, like right outside her shed, but not "OMG" muddy.
So now, the question is:
Is it possible for her to have scabs left over from the summers mud fever or should I start treating her ASAP for mud fever because those scabs should be long gone?
Also, should I shave her feltlocks/pasterns? They're very hairy and with the amount of wetness she encounters daily (her lower pasture is pretty much a swamp, she loves it down there, and I can't easily gate it off) I wouldn't be surprised if they're holding excess dampness. However, since it's only going to get muddier, if I shave them now, will I be causing myself more of a problem later?
Personally, I think shaving them might be good since the hair down there is like 3 inches long and impossible to groom (too short to comb, too long to brush). If it were shorter, I could easily just brush the mud off with a stiff brush.
But you guys are the experts.
Also, I know I need to find her a Vitamin A supplement. However, I wasn't able to find it at a feed store locally and I can only find gel caplets in the human stores and I'm not sure if a gel caplet would do her any good...