My 2yr old keeps on gettng injured - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-31-2009, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14
• Horses: 1
Angry My 2yr old keeps on gettng injured

for the last 3 nyts I've got my 2yr old in from the field he's came in with cuts one on his leg one on his neck ond one on his face I don't understand how he's gettin them as there isnt anythink he can do it on and its not a cut done by the horse he is out with as the cuts are to fine they are lines not gashes I don't understand why he keeps getting them im finking of separating him in his own in a field to see if it resolves it am I best doing that or shall I just leave him where he is??
HayleyDale is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 07-31-2009, 06:33 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 172
• Horses: 0
Have you double checked all the fences and gone through the paddock a few times to make certain there is nothing he could scratch himself on? How about tree branches? Just ideas.. not sure if trees could actually do that or not :S , lol.

If you are concerned with the scratches then I do suggest moving him to a new paddock (just for awhile, as it should give you an indication of whether its something in his old paddock that's causing it, be that inanimate or horsie). At least then you may be able to pin point the cause, and hopefully fix it.

Sorry, that's my only suggestion! Either that, or leave him in his paddock but keep a close eye on them and see if any more arise.
welshpony15 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 07-31-2009, 06:33 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 4,488
• Horses: 1
Is there any loose wire on the fence? Maybe he is trying to get under a fence or over and cutting himself.

Sir Success. Eventer.
2000 - 2013,
ChingazMyBoy is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 07-31-2009, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChingazMyBoy View Post
Is there any loose wire on the fence? Maybe he is trying to get under a fence or over and cutting himself.
nah its post and rail fence no wire.
HayleyDale is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 07-31-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshpony15 View Post
Have you double checked all the fences and gone through the paddock a few times to make certain there is nothing he could scratch himself on? How about tree branches? Just ideas.. not sure if trees could actually do that or not :S , lol.

If you are concerned with the scratches then I do suggest moving him to a new paddock (just for awhile, as it should give you an indication of whether its something in his old paddock that's causing it, be that inanimate or horsie). At least then you may be able to pin point the cause, and hopefully fix it.

Sorry, that's my only suggestion! Either that, or leave him in his paddock but keep a close eye on them and see if any more arise.

Theres no trees or anythink which is why I don't understand it I've checked his paddock over thorughly and theres nothing lol ill just have to see what he cums in like tonight hopefully no more have appeared
HayleyDale is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 07-31-2009, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14
• Horses: 1
thankyou every1 for ur opinions.
HayleyDale is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 07-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 237
• Horses: 1
I had the same problem with my horse. Everytime I went out to see him, he had a new cut or scab, etc. My horse is pretty low on the totem pole and was being beat up by the other horses. But now things are starting to settle down and I don't see nearly as many cuts or bite marks on him. It could just be that. Make sure you get stock in neosporene. Hehe...good luck finding the culprit.
JadedEyes is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 07-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Started
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Nevada City
Posts: 1,613
• Horses: 2
I had a mare who was kept in a stall with neighbors, but no other horses in with her, and she was forever hurting her legs getting cuts, scrapes, punctures, ect., and there wasn't anything in the stall that I ever found that would cause the injuries. She was in a pipe corral, she just somehow managed to hit something just right that she'd cut herself up. She didn't like where she was and that was her way of showing it. I even switched her and my gelding, and she did the same things in his stall. Honestly i'd say if there isn't anything you can find, and he's not severely cutting himself, then just leave it be, and get lots of betadine, and clean him up when you bring him in. Also I'd recommend gal salve, to help keep the hair its original color instead of coming back in white, or not coming back in at all.
dressagebelle is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 07-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange County, NC
Posts: 6,167
• Horses: 5
A wise old horse friend once told me that a horse can get hurt in a padded stall
But seriously, our mares get little scrapes and cuts all the time, especially in the summer when they are sweaty and the bugs are out from rubbing, branches, their hooves chasing flys, fence posts, ....anything (1000 lbs rubbing on the corner of a piece of wood will make a scratch). If it's not bleeding, just leave it, or a little betadine and neosprorin.
Our mare, Lady, got a 30 stitch cut on her flank a few years ago in a paddock. My wife, the vet, and I checked every inch of that fence and never found anything sharp and not even any hair or blood.
It's one of the mysteries of owning horses.

On the sixth day, God created the Quarter Horse.
On the seventh day, he Painted the good ones.
PaintHorseMares is online now  
post #10 of 12 Old 08-03-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares View Post
A wise old horse friend once told me that a horse can get hurt in a padded stall
But seriously, our mares get little scrapes and cuts all the time, especially in the summer when they are sweaty and the bugs are out from rubbing, branches, their hooves chasing flys, fence posts, ....anything (1000 lbs rubbing on the corner of a piece of wood will make a scratch). If it's not bleeding, just leave it, or a little betadine and neosprorin.
Our mare, Lady, got a 30 stitch cut on her flank a few years ago in a paddock. My wife, the vet, and I checked every inch of that fence and never found anything sharp and not even any hair or blood.
It's one of the mysteries of owning horses.

Any ideas where I can get that neosporin from?
HayleyDale is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horse isn't injured, but I am.. IheartPheobe Horse Health 12 06-22-2009 04:01 PM
Injured TQFgirl Horse Riding 9 03-16-2009 06:54 PM
Injured Mare = Broodmare? palogal Horse Breeding 17 08-27-2008 04:46 PM
Big Brown Injured! irisheyes12 Horse Talk 12 06-03-2008 01:47 PM
injured stifle ivakonya Horse Health 1 02-27-2007 11:49 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome