Is my filly skinny? Or is she just a typical growing filly? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Is my filly skinny? Or is she just a typical growing filly?

This is a discussion on Is my filly skinny? Or is she just a typical growing filly? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • My year old filly seems too skinny
  • Myfilly leaf

Like Tree22Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-06-2012, 02:37 AM
  #21
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by maura    
The most telling detail in the OP's original post is not even the evidence of the photos.

It's that she asks the question "Skinny or growing?" and then goes on to tell us several times, that the filly isn't growing. So, that leaves one answer.

Saddlebag, I like to see young horses on the lean side, and dislike seeing a halter show ring fat yearling or two year old. And I would prefer a three year old to look like a three old - leaner than its mature counterpart.

However, a horse that doesn't grow at all between the age of 3 and 4 and goes from a 5.5 to a 3 on the body score scale in the same period while not growing is not a healthy horse.
Well, she has gotten taller, and looks considerably different than when I first got her. I didn't word that right, so thanks for pointing that out. I guess I don't know if she is just growing or what. I have had many people tell me that young horses' weight fluctuates while growing, so I wasn't sure if this pertained to my filly or if it's true, etc. But, I never said she wasn't growing, just that her growth has been stunted and that she has grown very little.

Thanks.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-06-2012, 04:39 AM
  #22
Foal
Just a thought- Would you all think a probiotic might help her? I don't know why on earth I haven't thought of this! My show goats use to get them all the time to keep their weight up under stress. I'll ask my vet when she comes out though...thanks for any input.
     
    07-06-2012, 05:55 AM
  #23
Foal
Have been having the same problem with our 3 year old, his weight fluctuates too, but he IS growing so have put it down to that.

First pic was taken end of may.

Next pic one month later.

He has had another growth spurt but seems to be putting some weight back on again now, I hate it when you can see his ribs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg May 23rd 2012 (47).jpg (84.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg June 28th 2012 (14).jpg (70.1 KB, 117 views)
     
    07-06-2012, 05:59 PM
  #24
Banned
The last photo posted by the OP shows the filly at a body score of 5 or 5.5.

I'm a little concerned about the rapid variation in the horse's weight and condition in a fairly short time, but clearly the OP is concerned, asking questions and doing research, which is the appropriate response.

I really can't stress enough what a valuable tool the body score index is. It gives multiple, objective criteria for evaluating weight and condition. Most horsepeople, and I am certainly NO exception, lie to themselves or kid themselves about their horse's weight and condition, or more kindly, don't view it accurately. (Yes, I am big boned, thank you very much! And my air fern easy keeper QHs are "show weight", so there!)

It is a very useful exercise to take the info from the body score index and evaluate your horses with a critical, dispassionate eye.
Wallaby likes this.
     
    07-06-2012, 06:10 PM
  #25
Started
[QUOTE=maura;1584092]

I really can't stress enough what a valuable tool the body score index is. It gives multiple, objective criteria for evaluating weight and condition. Most horsepeople, and I am certainly NO exception, lie to themselves or kid themselves about their horse's weight and condition, or more kindly, don't view it accurately. (Yes, I am big boned, thank you very much! And my air fern easy keeper QHs are "show weight", so there!)
QUOTE]

I am a 'big-boned' girl, even when I was young and thin.....my wrists and ankles measure bigger than smaller framed people. Is there a measurement on a horse that would determine if they are just smaller boned? Or is it all visual?
     
    07-06-2012, 06:11 PM
  #26
Green Broke
[QUOTE=Emilyy;1583038]EVERYONE

PLEASE, PLEASE read my post again. A lot of you are asking and telling me to do things that I've already covered. I've had horses all my life, and this is the only filly that I've owned that has ever had this issue. I came here to get some input, which I have so far gotten and I really appreciate it!

The hay she is on is very good quality, grown by Oklahoma State University and is fed to their horses in their equine program, if that means anything to you all. I can post more detailed pictures of the hay, but I already know it's good quality.

She has been tube-wormed, checked for parasites, and is on a very strict worming schedule. She isn't wormy.

Ginger gets her hay 24/7. And she is on a ration balancer and black oil sunflower seeds. She also has 24/7 access to salt blocks. When I put her on grain, such as Safechoice, or TC, or Purina, she seems to get skinnier. Odd, isn't it? But, I would like to buy some rice bran to add to her diet as I think that might help. But I just don't know with her.


Here is a picture from today. She seems to look much better to me! But apparently my opinion needs some work...so tell me what you all think! And also, one person said her back is protruding, and it's not. She is kind of slab-sided, and it seems that way in the pictures. I'll take some better full-view pics tomorrow![/QUOTE

]If your hay is "good quality" then why is your vet saying to feed different hay with more protein.

I think lack of protein is your problem. Feeding hay with some seeds in it is not the same as feeding 4or more pds of some sort of grain or pelleted feed.

I have seen horses on a regular worming schedule that have had fecal tests down showing no worms and after 2 died suddenly a necropsy showed them full of worms. So that isn't full proof
     
    07-06-2012, 06:35 PM
  #27
Trained
Emilyy, I live in Stillwater and buy my grass hay here too, and it's good hay, I agree with you there. BUT........some horses just don't so well on strictly grass hay. The last pic you put up of your horse looks a whole lot better than the first ones, she's actually at a pretty decent weight. She could use some more but not desperately.

I like to keep my feeding as simple as possible which is why you won't find me feeding 13 different products. I choose Safeguard, Strategy, Omolene 400 and such because they are very balanced and do a good job of meeting the horses requirements.

If your horse loses weight on those products, them I'm willing to BET MONEY that you're not following the feeding directions on the bags.

For a 1,000 lb horse (assuming that's where you want her) you would feed:

Safechoice - 5 to 7.5 lbs per day, (their directions for Performance Ligth Exercise, .5 to .75 per 100 lbs of body weight). That's the original formula not one of the newer specialty formulas.

Strategy - Professional Formula GX - .75 to 1.5% of weight/day = 7.5 lbs - 15 lbs/day

Ultium Competition - 6 lbs to 11.5 lbs per day

Omolene 400 - 13 lbs/day for light work

Omolene 400 is a complete feed and doesn't need to have hay fed with it, which is why is such a good one for putting on weight. When I get a thin horse in, I like to use the 400 and still let them have grass hay as desired, by the time they get to a good weight, I can cut back some on the 400 and feed more hay. Just make sure you don't cut so much that the nutrition balance is upset.

All of these feeds have pre & pro biotics in them, no need to add them or vitamins or minerals. Just salt, feed bucket, hay and water. Very simple.
     
    07-06-2012, 06:36 PM
  #28
Weanling
[quote=churumbeque;1584113]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilyy    
EVERYONE

PLEASE, PLEASE read my post again. A lot of you are asking and telling me to do things that I've already covered. I've had horses all my life, and this is the only filly that I've owned that has ever had this issue. I came here to get some input, which I have so far gotten and I really appreciate it!

The hay she is on is very good quality, grown by Oklahoma State University and is fed to their horses in their equine program, if that means anything to you all. I can post more detailed pictures of the hay, but I already know it's good quality.

She has been tube-wormed, checked for parasites, and is on a very strict worming schedule. She isn't wormy.

Ginger gets her hay 24/7. And she is on a ration balancer and black oil sunflower seeds. She also has 24/7 access to salt blocks. When I put her on grain, such as Safechoice, or TC, or Purina, she seems to get skinnier. Odd, isn't it? But, I would like to buy some rice bran to add to her diet as I think that might help. But I just don't know with her.


Here is a picture from today. She seems to look much better to me! But apparently my opinion needs some work...so tell me what you all think! And also, one person said her back is protruding, and it's not. She is kind of slab-sided, and it seems that way in the pictures. I'll take some better full-view pics tomorrow![/QUOTE

]If your hay is "good quality" then why is your vet saying to feed different hay with more protein.

I think lack of protein is your problem. Feeding hay with some seeds in it is not the same as feeding 4or more pds of some sort of grain or pelleted feed.

I have seen horses on a regular worming schedule that have had fecal tests down showing no worms and after 2 died suddenly a necropsy showed them full of worms. So that isn't full proof
Would you please read what she has typed in the OP?? She said this:

Quote:
I was told by my vet to buy some high-protein hay that has some sort of grain in it, like barley, wheat grass, or rye grass. I found some nice rye grass/blue stem mixed round bales that were high in protein. This has put on some weight, and has given her that oh-so-attractive hay belly, but she just doesn't look right to me.
/sheesh
Emilyy likes this.
     
    07-06-2012, 06:45 PM
  #29
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
Emilyy, I live in Stillwater and buy my grass hay here too, and it's good hay, I agree with you there. BUT........some horses just don't so well on strictly grass hay. The last pic you put up of your horse looks a whole lot better than the first ones, she's actually at a pretty decent weight. She could use some more but not desperately.

I like to keep my feeding as simple as possible which is why you won't find me feeding 13 different products. I choose Safeguard, Strategy, Omolene 400 and such because they are very balanced and do a good job of meeting the horses requirements.

If your horse loses weight on those products, them I'm willing to BET MONEY that you're not following the feeding directions on the bags.

For a 1,000 lb horse (assuming that's where you want her) you would feed:

Safechoice - 5 to 7.5 lbs per day, (their directions for Performance Ligth Exercise, .5 to .75 per 100 lbs of body weight). That's the original formula not one of the newer specialty formulas.

Strategy - Professional Formula GX - .75 to 1.5% of weight/day = 7.5 lbs - 15 lbs/day

Ultium Competition - 6 lbs to 11.5 lbs per day

Omolene 400 - 13 lbs/day for light work

Omolene 400 is a complete feed and doesn't need to have hay fed with it, which is why is such a good one for putting on weight. When I get a thin horse in, I like to use the 400 and still let them have grass hay as desired, by the time they get to a good weight, I can cut back some on the 400 and feed more hay. Just make sure you don't cut so much that the nutrition balance is upset.

All of these feeds have pre & pro biotics in them, no need to add them or vitamins or minerals. Just salt, feed bucket, hay and water. Very simple.

Why is there not a /facepalm smilie on this forum?? Doesn't anybody read any more. The horse is NOT on "hay only"... oh, never mind. I give up.

OP, good luck to you with your hard keeper. Just keep doing what you are doing, working with your vet and slowly upping everything you are giving her until you find the amounts she needs to be fat and slick!

Emilyy likes this.
     
    07-06-2012, 07:12 PM
  #30
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaydesMom    
Why is there not a /facepalm smilie on this forum?? Doesn't anybody read any more. The horse is NOT on "hay only"... oh, never mind. I give up.

OP, good luck to you with your hard keeper. Just keep doing what you are doing, working with your vet and slowly upping everything you are giving her until you find the amounts she needs to be fat and slick!

I have read her entire post several times. I know the horse isn't on 'strictly' hay. What I also understand from reading and re-reading her posts is, what she is doing IS NOT WORKING for her, so I'm giving her some suggestions. She doesn't need to do anything I've said if she doesn't want to, I'm tossing out things to be considered.
themacpack and churumbeque like this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Growing filly, need feed advice! Emilyy Horse Nutrition 2 04-04-2012 07:24 PM
Name this filly rschenkel Horse Pictures 16 12-18-2011 10:01 PM
Our little skinny filly. Susan Crumrine Horse Pictures 5 07-12-2011 09:34 PM
Need a name for my new filly Losthope236 Horse Talk 18 09-25-2010 04:05 PM
My new filly Twilight Arabians Horse Pictures 15 08-31-2010 04:17 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0