My horse is getting sick
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

My horse is getting sick

This is a discussion on My horse is getting sick within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Weanling looks sick
  • Quotes about my horse being ill

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-17-2011, 09:32 PM
  #1
Weanling
My horse is getting sick

My friend moved her horse to the barn i'm at about a month or so ago; he'd just come from training and when he arrived he was ill. He had a snotty nose and a cough. The vet was out multiple times and he had 3 rounds of antibiotics, I still have no idea what this horse was ill with.

Jump to today, my horse has a snotty nose and has coughed, he also seemed to cough up some white goo. His snot is white and possibly a little yellow. The barn manager is going to keep an eye on him but I wanted opinions of what it could be. Generally he looks fine, is eating and drinking, is stubborn as ever. I wouldn't have noticed he might be ill if I hadn't seen the snot and watched him cough. His cough sounds dry.

Any ideas?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-17-2011, 09:34 PM
  #2
Banned
I would guess the poor guy just has a run of the mill cold, Indie got one last year, just pampered her out of it.
     
    12-17-2011, 09:45 PM
  #3
Weanling
That's what i'm hoping. I really don't want to call the vet. If his cough gets worse I might get the barn manager to keep him in for a few nights.

What did you do to pamper your horse?
     
    12-17-2011, 09:49 PM
  #4
Banned
Kept her warm and dry, and sometimes came out with warm meals to help cheer her up some. Just keep an eye on your boy, if you grain I would probably pour hot water in it and let it soak and cool a bit (so it isn't really hot) before giving it to him; just in the case he coughs when eating, that way it's less likely to choke.
     
    12-17-2011, 09:50 PM
  #5
Weanling
When Dancer gets a cold I give him around 12 Ester-C tablets twice daily to help boost up his immune system. Unfortunately, last time he was sick I had to get antibiotics for him. Hope your guy feels better soon!
     
    12-17-2011, 10:00 PM
  #6
Weanling
Warm and dry might be an issue, I might have to ask for him to be kept in at night for a while. He's out 24/7 unless it bad rain. He only really come in for meals. He does have a stall though. I wish I could use the hot water idea but the barn only has a cold water tap, I could always biol some water and put it in a flask to take with me when BO feeds.

Luckily he has a nice winter coat coming so he should be warm during the day, if not I have a blanket handy to stick on him.

I can try him on ester-c but last time I gave him something orangey (electrolytes) he didn't eat them.

Thanks. I hope so too. If he's picked up what my friends horse had he's in for a rough few weeks :(
     
    12-17-2011, 10:03 PM
  #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix    
Warm and dry might be an issue, I might have to ask for him to be kept in at night for a while. He's out 24/7 unless it bad rain. He only really come in for meals. He does have a stall though. I wish I could use the hot water idea but the barn only has a cold water tap, I could always biol some water and put it in a flask to take with me when BO feeds.

Luckily he has a nice winter coat coming so he should be warm during the day, if not I have a blanket handy to stick on him.

I can try him on ester-c but last time I gave him something orangey (electrolytes) he didn't eat them.

Thanks. I hope so too. If he's picked up what my friends horse had he's in for a rough few weeks :(

If you are in the position to buy him a light waterproof turnout blanket, those are great helps. I have a medium one that I used to keep my little girl nice and dry during the snowy/cold rain mess she was sick in.

Just make sure that if it's raining at all to bring him in if possible, or if he's cold to find something to cover him up with. Really that's the best you can do.
xxGallopxx likes this.
     
    12-17-2011, 10:36 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tianimalz    
If you are in the position to buy him a light waterproof turnout blanket, those are great helps. I have a medium one that I used to keep my little girl nice and dry during the snowy/cold rain mess she was sick in.

Just make sure that if it's raining at all to bring him in if possible, or if he's cold to find something to cover him up with. Really that's the best you can do.
I have a med weight blanket I could put on him, the other horses might take it off though. I'm going out there tomorrow so I'll make sure the BO knows to keep him in if it's going to rain. I just hope it's not guttural pouch infection, which is apparently what the other horse had.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-17-2011, 10:39 PM
  #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix    
I have a med weight blanket I could put on him, the other horses might take it off though. I'm going out there tomorrow so I'll make sure the BO knows to keep him in if it's going to rain. I just hope it's not guttural pouch infection, which is apparently what the other horse had.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ouch, yes please keep an eye on him, let us know if he gets better!! Fingers crossed for both of you *hugs*
     
    12-17-2011, 10:43 PM
  #10
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tianimalz    
Ouch, yes please keep an eye on him, let us know if he gets better!! Fingers crossed for both of you *hugs*
Thanks. I'll keep a close eye on him. Ill keep the thread updated.
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sick Horse eliduc Horse Talk 1 11-20-2011 06:45 AM
Sick horse help huntershorses Horse Health 8 10-28-2011 06:08 PM
You're probably all sick of this horse... Zu! Gillian Horse Pictures 11 12-14-2009 03:14 PM
My horse has gotten sick and I don't know why sonnykicks Horse Health 3 09-06-2009 03:42 AM
HELP!!! My horse is sick!!!! happygoose123 Horse Health 20 01-27-2009 12:09 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0