My horse is going bald... parasite or rare condition
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

My horse is going bald... parasite or rare condition

This is a discussion on My horse is going bald... parasite or rare condition within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Weird shedding patterns horse
  • My horse is missing hair on his face

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-13-2012, 08:55 PM
  #1
Weanling
My horse is going bald... parasite or rare condition

I have searched all over the forum, and have not found anything about this particular issue.
My horse, Roger has recently (the last few days) been loosing hair in certain parts of his body. His winter coat is shedding as normal, but there is no summer coat underneath. It is not scabby, and does not appear to be bothering him.

A few other horses from my barn have developed this problem, one of which has become entirely bald. The vet came out a few weeks ago (when they first developed it) and claimed it was probably some form of parasite infection. Such as mites.
I called him today, due to my increasing concern. He now thinks it could be a "rare shedding condition".

I gave him Ivermectin and rinsed iodine over the most effected area. This was previously recommenced by the vet when he thought it was parasitic.

I was wondering if anyone has ever come across this strange issue before. It is obviously contagious and rapidly spreading. I appreciate any input/advice you guys have!

I attached a picture below. This is a close up behind his ear. An area roughly 6x6 inches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (34.1 KB, 268 views)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-13-2012, 09:00 PM
  #2
Yearling
There have been a lot of posts on here about strange shedding patterns this year. Several horses at our barn are losing large clumps of winter hair before their summer coat has come in. Most people are attributing it to the early Spring. Maybe the same thing is happening to your horse. Many of the horses around here look like they are "molting" like birds.
     
    04-13-2012, 09:04 PM
  #3
Showing
I just saw a case like this and it was treated with hydrogen peroxide. The vet had taken a scraping but it revealed nothing. The owners don't know if the peroxide did the trick but new hair is growing in. I'm wondering with our early warm weather if the horse's weren't just rubbing this off in particularly itchy places.
     
    04-13-2012, 09:05 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgi    
There have been a lot of posts on here about strange shedding patterns this year. Several horses at our barn are losing large clumps of winter hair before their summer coat has come in. Most people are attributing it to the early Spring. Maybe the same thing is happening to your horse. Many of the horses around here look like they are "molting" like birds.
I certainly hope so! It is only a few horses though. One is absolutely bald!

The vet said to wait a couple weeks, and if it did not grow in to call him back and we will run blood tests.
     
    04-13-2012, 09:08 PM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
I just saw a case like this and it was treated with hydrogen peroxide. The vet had taken a scraping but it revealed nothing. The owners don't know if the peroxide did the trick but new hair is growing in. I'm wondering with our early warm weather if the horse's weren't just rubbing this off in particularly itchy places.
If it gets any worse I will give it a try. Do you know how long it took for the hair to start to grow back in?
     
    04-13-2012, 09:38 PM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by mselizabeth    
I certainly hope so! It is only a few horses though. One is absolutely bald!

The vet said to wait a couple weeks, and if it did not grow in to call him back and we will run blood tests.

My husband's horse looked awful!!! But within a couple of weeks, the hair started coming back in. My horse is shedding normally. We took precautions, like not sharing grooming tools, but since all the horses have started looking normal again, we are chalking it up to some freaky climate thing.
     
    04-13-2012, 09:44 PM
  #7
Trained
Many horses in my area and shedding like that this year. It's WAY weird. My farrier even asked a friend of mine if her horse had mange. LoL. The mare like, molted all at once and then started growing back hair. 2-3 weeks seems to be the time frame for the hair looking normal again. It's super weird but it is what it is...
     
    04-13-2012, 10:01 PM
  #8
Foal
I was just going to post about this! I just got a new rescue horse 2 weeks ago. He was just begining to shed his winter coat. When I went to feed this morning almost half the hair on his face was rubbed off...no signs or rain rot or irritation...there are some other areas that look identical to the original picture posted!

I have no idea what it is ot what to do. My other 2 horses have already shed completely and look fine...
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-13-2012, 10:06 PM
  #9
Foal
My horses are doing this too. And when I was at work today (a local stable) I heard that some of the horses there are also loosing hair.
     
    04-13-2012, 10:07 PM
  #10
Foal
They are attributing it to the early Spring as well.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horse going bald, HELP!!! :D LoveStory10 Horse Grooming 10 11-14-2009 03:02 AM
My Rare Horse :) brittany Horse Pictures 19 11-11-2008 10:59 AM
What should i name my rare horse???? :) brittany Horse Talk 3 11-10-2008 06:40 PM
Parasite Question laceyf53 Horse Health 7 06-07-2008 11:13 AM
Hello! Parasite-freak here :-) Madick Meet the Community 4 03-04-2007 05:29 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0