I have a 24 year old gelding, had him all his life. Over a week ago on a
- Wednesday - I noticed he seemed to not feel well,
- Thursday (next morning) he had not drank any water all night but was eating hay and his feed - triple crown low starch - I should mention too that his fever that morning was 103.1 - took him to vet - no temp and seemed fine. That night, he still did not drink water and didn't want feed
- Friday morning - still no water and didn't eat feed from night before (temp was around 100, so it was normal), so took him back to vet - tubed him, checked out liver, kidneys, etc, no temperature and sent us home with instruction of no feed or hay until I saw oil in his manure. By late that evening, still no water intake and he began to show signs of really depressed, lowered head, stiff hindquarters and "thumps" in his flank area. Called vet and gave him 10cc of bantamine IM.
- Saturday morning - still no water intake and he seemed about the same as night before - took him back to vet - she set him up with fluids and began treatment for suspicion of West Nile Virus.
- Sometime after 9pm saturday night, he began circling to the left, because on Sunday morning when the vet came that's what he was doing. He also began to show signs of other neurological problems. He could see but couldn't see (if that makes sense).
- Sunday morning or night, he began to eat and drink again - still circling
- Monday - Saturday morning,a little improvement each day, but still not quite right
- His tests for WNV and EEE came back negative