My horse wont stop rearing - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 Old 12-15-2010, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 60
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbender View Post
Ok, I read through this thread. May have missed some things. Here is my suggestion: have you driven her before? Can you? Tacked up and same bridle. If not, try it and get her to move forward. You need to figure out the trigger. Stubborn? Young? There is some miscommunication here and you need to figure it out. Do you lunge before you ride? You say she seems full of energy and fresh.

I wouldn't hit her on the head. That's my personal feeling. Someone I knew used to do that and I don't think it worked other than to give the horse a sense of pain from the thing on its back.

If you can afford a trainer then go for it. Because you've only had her for a short time you both don't know each other that well and she is probably testing you. This must have worked for her in the past. Now to change that she needs a strong person. I hope you can get past this safely and continue a bonding and fun relationship with her.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes she is young only 5 she hasnt been driven and I always lunge her and put her on the walker before I ride her I am beginning to think that it is her teeth so I will have the dentist too come down and have a look because she is perfect in every other way and I paid a lot for her so I need her to begin behaving!
She does it a lot when I am asking her too bend I am conviced its her teeth so I will be looking forward too her from the dentist :)
Thank you
dillon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 37 Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N Florida
Posts: 267
• Horses: 12
Please be careful. I broke the horns off my cebral spine being flipped over on. And that was a pure slip and fall accident. Horses intentionally behaving this way are far more dangerous, and more likely to be on target.

Fortunately for me, my mare caught herself and split second rolled the other way.. or I would have been in a wheel chair.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid - John Wayne

http://www.dundreaminranch.com
DunOverIt is offline  
post #23 of 37 Old 12-15-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 60
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunOverIt View Post
Please be careful. I broke the horns off my cebral spine being flipped over on. And that was a pure slip and fall accident. Horses intentionally behaving this way are far more dangerous, and more likely to be on target.

Fortunately for me, my mare caught herself and split second rolled the other way.. or I would have been in a wheel chair.
oh my god, how awful I will get it sorted and keep you all posted
dillon is offline  
post #24 of 37 Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
• Horses: 0
My horse used to do this when I first had her. We would be showjumping and would randomly go up for no reason, used to get a 'oooo' from the crowd then carry on like nothing happened! She has stopped it now, I don't know if it was because she was bored, testing me or what but she never went over! I used to lean forwards as much as possible against her mane so I didnt unbalance her either side and stayed quiet (may have growled in her ear a few times!!).....then carry on like nothing happened. She'd do it walking, when SJ -ing, all the time! She may just be testing you...thats what I put mine down to. Like I said she didnt go over though but very vertical and felt like a was going to go over...think it was my balance and luck that stopped us!

Just be careful, I wouldnt do anything to tie her head down. I used to pull my reins down towards my toes to pull her down and also helped to cling on for dear life!!
lcharles is offline  
post #25 of 37 Old 12-15-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 60
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcharles View Post
My horse used to do this when I first had her. We would be showjumping and would randomly go up for no reason, used to get a 'oooo' from the crowd then carry on like nothing happened! She has stopped it now, I don't know if it was because she was bored, testing me or what but she never went over! I used to lean forwards as much as possible against her mane so I didnt unbalance her either side and stayed quiet (may have growled in her ear a few times!!).....then carry on like nothing happened. She'd do it walking, when SJ -ing, all the time! She may just be testing you...thats what I put mine down to. Like I said she didnt go over though but very vertical and felt like a was going to go over...think it was my balance and luck that stopped us!

Just be careful, I wouldnt do anything to tie her head down. I used to pull my reins down towards my toes to pull her down and also helped to cling on for dear life!!
yeah I lean forward and just sit quietly I don't want too pull her down with my reins because she will just pull tighter and I think I may loose that battle it could very well be about that her trying me out, she does it a lot when she first walks in and we waiy for the bell.
dillon is offline  
post #26 of 37 Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,276
• Horses: 0
Maybe try letting her out to run before you get on. Sometimes a horse needs to loosen up before they work. Lunging is ok, but letting her out to just run, I think, is better. They aren't confined to a circle and contently bending..they can just be a horse for 10-15 mins. Also, I don't know where you are from, but the ground may be too hard, and it hurts her feet.

There is more than just her back and teeth that could be hurting her.

Definitely get a trainer though, rearing can get really dangerous.
ErikaLynn is offline  
post #27 of 37 Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 60
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaLynn View Post
Maybe try letting her out to run before you get on. Sometimes a horse needs to loosen up before they work. Lunging is ok, but letting her out to just run, I think, is better. They aren't confined to a circle and contently bending..they can just be a horse for 10-15 mins. Also, I don't know where you are from, but the ground may be too hard, and it hurts her feet.

There is more than just her back and teeth that could be hurting her.

Definitely get a trainer though, rearing can get really dangerous.
yes I am from England and I ride on an all weather arena so the ground wouldnt be the problem but thanks for the input
dillon is offline  
post #28 of 37 Old 12-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
Confused.

In your first post you said her teeth have been done. Now you are saying you think it is her teeth.

You also said you have only had her for three weeks. In that time you sent her to a trainer and she was fully evaluated?

If you paid a ton of money for her I assume you tried her before buying and a full prepurchase exam done.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #29 of 37 Old 12-15-2010, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 60
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind View Post
Confused.

In your first post you said her teeth have been done. Now you are saying you think it is her teeth.

You also said you have only had her for three weeks. In that time you sent her to a trainer and she was fully evaluated?

If you paid a ton of money for her I assume you tried her before buying and a full prepurchase exam done.
I don't see the problem of having her teeth checked again, as I don't want too send her back so I am going through everything I didnt send her to a trainer I am based at my trainers yard who took her off of me for a week and yes she was and passed 5*/* you can't buy a horse over 5k without a vetting
dillon is offline  
post #30 of 37 Old 12-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,166
• Horses: 5
Well, it sounds to me like you don't want to take any credit for your horse's actions and are looking for any other source. It can be hard to do, but sometimes, oftentimes actually, we need to realize and accept that we, the rider, can be the problem.
NorthernMama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taylor wont stop bucking :( JumperGirl Horse Training 11 10-31-2010 05:49 PM
The hoof crack wont stop! Sandy n Brandy Hoof Care 14 12-15-2009 01:00 AM
how would i stop buck rearing out on rides? murrayhallbuccaneer Horse Training 30 05-14-2009 05:16 PM
Horse wont stop eating pooo.....UGH khorsluv Horse Health 9 01-14-2009 10:18 AM
Wont stop fairyfeet Horse Training 21 03-28-2007 05:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome