My mare needs help
Our mare has had some hoof problems but my husband has been working with her on a daily basis, cleaning and treating her. The hoof problems seemed to be much better earlier last week, we took her out walking and she walked without having any problems. She has a 3month old colt which we were going to start weaning next week.
A couple of days later she was favoring one foot again. We could not find any problem with the foot so thought maybe it was a tight tendon or something. The vet gave us some Bute to try and I expected that would help, as it has in the past. We have her boarded and they were to continue the bute treatment (that was Friday).
We didn't go back to check on her on Saturday (we try to go everyday but the broading place takes are of them when we can not come out) and I went to check on her last night. She is down and can barely get up. I am very angry the boarder know she was down and did not call us.
My mare will only get up to come over to get her feed and the whole time her front legs are shaking. Her legs are so weak she can not bend her he down to get water, so I am holding bucket of water up to her head so that she will drink. I gave her elctrolytes because she was just covered in sweat. Of course everthing is closed Sunday night before a holiday. I have to try and find a vet tomorrow who will come out to see her. I fear she is going to die
I had a number of people looking at the mare last night and got a lot of comments of which I do not know which I should follow:
1. Several said to take the colt away immediate, while others said it would stress her so much she would surely die. I can't move her so the best I could do anyway is to put him in a different pen. For now I am leaving him because even when she is down she is looking for him. I already have him on some feed so he is okay with nursing.
2. We will continue to treat with electrolytes and see if we can get B complex on Monday morning.
3, I am going to the vet or any vet that might help us. Looking at her gums she maybe anemic (her gums and tounge are pale). Any suggestions on anything for this, if I can't get a vet today?
I really need help, I do not want to lose my mare