need help on healing cuts.
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

need help on healing cuts.

This is a discussion on need help on healing cuts. within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Wonder dust bloody cut
  • Horse health how to heal cuts

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-21-2011, 07:04 PM
  #1
Banned
need help on healing cuts.

My horse is being moved the 1st which is next tuesday, he has a whole bunch of cuts on his face and his rear, possibly from being bitten by other horses or rubbing and scratching.

I thought it might have been rain rot but, after carefully looking at it, it's definitely not rain rot, although he might have some starting by his hip. My question is, does anyone know of anything that will clear up the rain rot {like a cream I could apply daily} and does anyone know of anything that could help heal the cuts and help bring the hair back?

The cuts are already healing nicely seen i've been putting betadine on it once daily and when I can't get out there my trainer puts it on him but, the hair isn't coming back it's just scabbing up.

I'm looking for something along the lines of cream or a spray on kind of thing. Thank you
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-21-2011, 07:45 PM
  #2
Trained
It is not a horse brand but I think that Lucas's PawPaw cream is really good for it.
     
    02-21-2011, 08:24 PM
  #3
Banned
Do you know if it's for rain rot & cuts or just for the specific thing {rain rot or cuts}
     
    02-21-2011, 08:32 PM
  #4
Green Broke
For cuts and scrapes, we use either Blue Kote, in a spray can, or Wonder Dust. Both help fight infections and help the hair grow back without turning white, unless your horse is white.

For rain rot, we use MTG. It stinks like smoke but it works.
     
    02-21-2011, 08:37 PM
  #5
Trained
Oh yes MTG is good

I use paw paw cream for everything! It is fine for any types of scrape.
     
    02-21-2011, 09:25 PM
  #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by usandpets    
For cuts and scrapes, we use either Blue Kote, in a spray can, or Wonder Dust. Both help fight infections and help the hair grow back without turning white, unless your horse is white.

For rain rot, we use MTG. It stinks like smoke but it works.
Nope my horse is a bay =] I am looking for the best thing to use on my horse so I can fix him up nicely so, in your opinion and everyone else's opinion would you use Wonder Dust or Blue Kote and why?

Sorry i'm just trying to make the best decision here. Either way i'll buy both of them to just have them on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintoTess    
Oh yes MTG is good

I use paw paw cream for everything! It is fine for any types of scrape.
awesome! I've never heard of paw paw cream. Where would I be able to find that cream? Do you know?

Thanks =]
     
    02-22-2011, 03:23 AM
  #7
Trained
I got mine just from a local food store. This it what it looks like.

     
    02-22-2011, 07:02 PM
  #8
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforever23    
Nope my horse is a bay =] I am looking for the best thing to use on my horse so I can fix him up nicely so, in your opinion and everyone else's opinion would you use Wonder Dust or Blue Kote and why?

Sorry i'm just trying to make the best decision here. Either way i'll buy both of them to just have them on hand...
If it's just a scrape that took the hair off, I would use the Blu Kote. However, some horses don't like the sound when you spray the Blu Kote. You can use wonder dust on a dry wound by putting water on it first but I prefer Blu Kote on those. If the wound is moist/bloody, I would use the wonder dust becuse it helps keep other things from sticking to the wound. It can be harder to put on since you have to shake and squeeze the bottle to put it on, even more difficult if the wound is on the underside. There is another ointment, Farnam Tri Care. It helps keep flies away, aids in pain relief, and prevents infection. The only bad thing is that dirt and hay will stick to it unless you bandage the wound. So depending on the wound and where it is, I would have to make the choice on which one to use.
     
    02-22-2011, 07:09 PM
  #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by usandpets    
If it's just a scrape that took the hair off, I would use the Blu Kote. However, some horses don't like the sound when you spray the Blu Kote. You can use wonder dust on a dry wound by putting water on it first but I prefer Blu Kote on those. If the wound is moist/bloody, I would use the wonder dust becuse it helps keep other things from sticking to the wound. It can be harder to put on since you have to shake and squeeze the bottle to put it on, even more difficult if the wound is on the underside. There is another ointment, Farnam Tri Care. It helps keep flies away, aids in pain relief, and prevents infection. The only bad thing is that dirt and hay will stick to it unless you bandage the wound. So depending on the wound and where it is, I would have to make the choice on which one to use.
Well, the cuts are just all over his face. The cuts are not even in a specific area, they are just all over the place, his rear, his face, under his chin, by his hip but, it's just a scrape that took the hair off so i'll most likely use blu kote as you said.
     
    02-23-2011, 09:54 AM
  #10
Foal
Maybe you could try Vetericyn? It is kind of a new product, but it has been getting good reviews/results. It is kind of pricey though. You can buy it at farm stores like Farm & Fleet, maybe TSC. Here is a link otherwise Vetericyn One-step wound and infection treatment based on Microcyn Technology that works naturally with your animal?s immune system

If your guy has open cuts/wounds, you can spray Blu-Kote on there, it kind of does a double duty as it disinfects and it helps heal too. You probably don't need to use the Wonder Dust. Wonder Dust is good if you have something really bloody or gushsy, it helps stop the bleeding, and prevents proud flesh.

If the cuts already have a flaky scab, pick it off and you can put an ointment like Tri-Care on it.

If it is rain rot, then MTG or Blu-Kote can help with that. Or the Vetericyn if you can spend the extra $$. (I haven't personally tried vetericyn, it does sort of turn me off that is seems sort of gimmicky, I think it's endorsed by clint anderson?)
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hind leg cuts from rolling rocky pony Horse Health 13 07-27-2009 08:11 PM
My filly has little cuts all over her. :( dixiegirl Horse Health 5 06-28-2009 10:56 AM
Best treatment for cuts? lovemyponies Horse Health 30 06-01-2009 07:24 AM
mouth cuts - HELP!! stadiumjumper101 Horse Health 29 03-29-2009 12:53 PM
Proud Cuts AKPaintLover Horse Health 14 07-15-2008 12:10 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0