New horse - Lots of questions - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

New horse - Lots of questions

This is a discussion on New horse - Lots of questions within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree86Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-17-2013, 04:17 AM
      #11
    Showing
    Hey don't knock smartpaks! That's how I make sure Sky gets what he needs while I am all the way in New Zealand! He has never been healthier!
    PunksTank and ParaIndy like this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-17-2013, 04:25 AM
      #12
    Yearling
    I'm so excited your getting him back! I love to hear stories like this...can't wait to hear the full story. I would keep him in some form of physical condition. If he's too thin, then I would definitely strive for some mental stimulation. That helps horses recover by leaps and bounds!!
         
        02-17-2013, 04:32 AM
      #13
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    Hey don't knock smartpaks! That's how I make sure Sky gets what he needs while I am all the way in New Zealand! He has never been healthier!
    Not knocking smartpaks.....I just prefer doing my own homework, pet peeve of mine......Smartpaks is too easy
         
        02-17-2013, 10:12 PM
      #14
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
    Not knocking smartpaks.....I just prefer doing my own homework, pet peeve of mine......Smartpaks is too easy
    Desert - I totally agree - I like to know what my horses are on. But that's why I picked smartpaks in comparing the ingredients of the supplements I was looking at to other brands I found it more pure (less junk added) and more economical. But I agree everyone should do their own homework - everyone should know what's in the food they're feeding their horses.

    Thank you everyone for your support ^^ I got the call tonight, he'll be coming in tomorrow, barring any unforseen circumstances. Billions of pictures will shortly follow
    Do you all think taking him out for walks or ground drives would be good? How long should I work him? Maybe I should do some CT with him too - keep him mentally stimulated ^^

    I'm so very excited - I just finished getting his stall ready and his bedding all fluffed
    Army wife likes this.
         
        02-17-2013, 11:27 PM
      #15
    Showing
    I would do lots of leading him around and stuff.. so walks would be good and making sure to pick his hooves out and groom him really nicely. I would not ground drive him until he's in better condition.

    Excited for you :)
    PunksTank likes this.
         
        02-18-2013, 12:05 AM
      #16
    Trained
    Agree with sky. Establish a routine. Horses like that, especially work horses. You can add on anytime
    PunksTank likes this.
         
        02-18-2013, 12:15 AM
      #17
    Banned
    Smile Is he trained?

    Will he be coming to you trained? If so, you will need to gain his trust! It took me 1 month to gain my horses trust! And escpiecially with a Beliugum it will take a long time to gain his trust! DO NOT RIDE HIM THE FIRST DAY HE COMES, HE WILL HAVE TO SETTLE IN BEFORE YOU RIDE HIM. ITS YOUR NEW HORSE, HE IS COMING FROM A TOTALLY DIFFRENT PLACE I HOPE YOU WILL GIVE HIM TIME TO GET USED TO EVREYTHING! MY SISTERS HORSE MALIBU EVEN AFTER WE HAD HIM FOR TWO YEARS WHEN WE TOOK HIM TO THE BARN MY SISTER RODE HIM ON THE 2 DAY HE WAS THERE AND HE BUCKED HER OFF AND REARED! AND HE IS USSEALLY A SWEETY PIE!

    I ENJOYED ANSEWERING YOUR QUISTENS,
    KATY
         
        02-18-2013, 02:31 AM
      #18
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by katybug31102    
    Will he be coming to you trained? If so, you will need to gain his trust! It took me 1 month to gain my horses trust! And escpiecially with a Beliugum it will take a long time to gain his trust! DO NOT RIDE HIM THE FIRST DAY HE COMES, HE WILL HAVE TO SETTLE IN BEFORE YOU RIDE HIM. ITS YOUR NEW HORSE, HE IS COMING FROM A TOTALLY DIFFRENT PLACE I HOPE YOU WILL GIVE HIM TIME TO GET USED TO EVREYTHING! MY SISTERS HORSE MALIBU EVEN AFTER WE HAD HIM FOR TWO YEARS WHEN WE TOOK HIM TO THE BARN MY SISTER RODE HIM ON THE 2 DAY HE WAS THERE AND HE BUCKED HER OFF AND REARED! AND HE IS USSEALLY A SWEETY PIE!

    I ENJOYED ANSEWERING YOUR QUISTENS,
    KATY
    Did you read any of the comments from the OP?
         
        02-18-2013, 02:56 AM
      #19
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PunksTank    
    Desert - Lol ok I'll use pellets!
    As for Smartpak - I'm so not the type to buy into packages and gimmicks, but in looking at their ingredients and comparisons it's about equivalent, or better with the Smart version. So I go for that. :)
    Thank you so much
    Just wanted to put in my .02-- SmartPak is pretty legitimate! It has helped my boy tremendously. :) As someone mentioned, they have excellent comparison charts for supplements and you don't have to buy their "smart" supplements, either!

    Good luck with your new boy! Has anyone mentioned FeedXL? If you have $20 lying around, it is a great way to figure out your horse's diet. Perfect for us lazy smartpak-using folk! ;)
         
        02-18-2013, 03:36 AM
      #20
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by existentialpony    
    Perfect for us lazy smartpak-using folk! ;)
    You mean efficient smartpak-using folk... right...?





    existentialpony likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    new to horse world! just got my first mini got lots of questions lol! desperado3fan29 Horse Talk 13 03-19-2012 09:44 PM
    New horse, lots of questions! LovesMyDunnBoy Horse Riding 3 11-15-2011 12:20 PM
    Lots of Tack Questions... Just Got a New Horse. :) AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Tack and Equipment 9 05-27-2010 05:41 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0