New Pony... Gelding Dilemma
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

New Pony... Gelding Dilemma

This is a discussion on New Pony... Gelding Dilemma within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree3Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-08-2012, 05:23 PM
      #1
    Yearling
    New Pony... Gelding Dilemma

    Barring unforseen circumstances, I will be purchasing a pair of Shetland Ponies. They are by the same sire and are both yearlings. One is a filly and the other is a stud colt.

    I will be having the colt gelded. Here is my dilemma: the ponies will need to be put on a pen together to be kept separate from the big horses until they get to know one another. My options are:

    1) See if the seller is ok with me having him gelded there before we move him. How long would we need to wait to trailer him home (3.5 hour trip) after the procedure?

    2) Trailer them both and have the vet there to geld him the same day. Would this be too stressful for him?

    3) Trailer the colt first, get him gelded, and then bring the filly later on. How long to wait? (This is my least favorite option because of the extra cost).

    Thoughts?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-08-2012, 05:28 PM
      #2
    Started
    I think they can still breed a mare, or at least have a chance of breeding, for two weeks. I'll have to do a little research before I'll say that for certain, though.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-08-2012, 06:03 PM
      #3
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aforred    
    I think they can still breed a mare, or at least have a chance of breeding, for two weeks. I'll have to do a little research before I'll say that for certain, though.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Well then option 2 would definitely be out!
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-08-2012, 06:13 PM
      #4
    Foal
    If they are both yearlings, the stud colt will not have viable sperm. Number 2 is the option I'd go for. Seriously.
         
        09-08-2012, 06:15 PM
      #5
    Foal
    Actually....which is the cheaper vet? That's the option I'd go for..... But I truly see no reason you can't geld and trailer in the same day. We had planned on it for an older stud. He didn't come out of anesthesia as quick as we needed him to since the trailer lights were iffy. So we ended up with a few day delay and an extra trip to get him.
         
        09-08-2012, 09:00 PM
      #6
    Trained
    I'd actually see if you can get it done at the stud. I'd probably give him a few days to get over it & watch for swelling before travelling him.

    If you do it at your place, I wouldn't get it done immediately, but get him comfortable in his new environment & get to know you as a Nice Person first - otherwise you could cause some 'first impression' problems! I wouldn't choose option 3, because that would just likely be extra stress for them for nothing. If the vet knows what they're doing & the pony is well halter broke, it shouldn't be a stressful spectacle for the filly - my last colts were done with their mothers present - I don't think they even noticed!
         
        09-08-2012, 09:08 PM
      #7
    Started
    This may seem too obvious but is there any way you can just divide their paddock and trailer them both and put them in the divided paddock until he's all better? I don't think they can breed after their surgery (honestly I think it'd hurt too much for them to try) but it takes 2 weeks to heal up. But could you put in some steaks and just use rope or lunge lines or electric fencing to divide their area until he's all better? That way they can still be together but not breed.
         
        09-08-2012, 09:27 PM
      #8
    Trained
    Punks, surrounding them with steaks sounds expensive & smelly, but would probably work, because horses don't like meat. However, if you use electric fencing, stAKEs are handy!
    Janna likes this.
         
        09-08-2012, 09:29 PM
      #9
    Started
    Hahaha xD Thanks Loosie!! I'm glad someone's watching my spelling xD I guess surrounding them with steaks would turn off any vegetarian :P
         
        09-08-2012, 09:38 PM
      #10
    Started
    Okay first off, I have a mare that is the result of her mother being tossed out with a yearling stud colt who "could not get the job done, because he was a baby". At a year, he has viable sperm. He may not be fully loaded but do you really want to play foal roulette? He will still be able to shoot some for a few weeks after he is gelded.

    If the vet does the procedure lying him down (as most do) you are looking at him being woozy for about 3 hours and not in any shape to ship (in my opinion) on that day.

    You are in a similar boat with trailering him to the vet. If the vet lies the horse down to geld you are looking at one woozy horse to trailer. In the off chance that the vet in your area does them standing (some do) then you are still looking at a woozy horse. I would go with option number three. Move the boy first, geld him a day or so after he arrives at your house. Then in three weeks time move the filly in.
    loosie likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Coming 8 yr old BLM Large Pony Gelding NittanyEquestrian Horses for Sale 1 02-25-2011 09:57 PM
    Amazing 14.2 POA Pony Gelding located in NC BrittAnne Horses for Sale 4 07-17-2010 06:13 PM
    Critique on this pony gelding for sale myhorsesonador Horse Riding Critique 14 01-07-2010 08:09 PM
    My probable new project pony-6 yo. TB gelding missy06 Horse Riding Critique 5 09-28-2008 01:01 AM
    2 Year Old Pony Gelding - MN aBreeze Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 04-16-2007 11:24 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0