Last week I bought a horse who has only one eye. She arrived at a pasture in QT in on Tuesday night. This morning Leela ripped her remaining eye open. It appears she was rubbing her face as she has a small scrape above the eye as well, and caught the eye itself on something sharp. The white was separated from the iris, and some of the eye internals were hanging out. I'm having to weigh options right now of taking a chance with the surgery.. or euthanize. Leela was great. She even started falling asleep while we were waiting on the vet. Much much calmer than we were. The vet checked her vitals, everything was fine, her temp was 1 degree above normal but I attribute that to "shipping fever" which seems to come with every auction horse. He also confirmed she was not in shock. When we first got there she was trembling, but calmed down with petting and talking. I didn't get to watch her get on or off the trailer (talked to my husband while she was loading and the trailer beat us to the clinic), but my friend saw her get on and she did fine once both her feet were picked up and put on. The shipper also said she did fine when she unloaded, she was a little surprised at the big step down but that was all. In the stall at the vet's she was calm, listening to her new surroundings, and was quite pleased when the vet offered her some hay. I'm really in shock that she handled it so well as she was 100% blind by the time she was found.
I asked the vet to be 100% honest with me. He says there is always some risk, of course. His biggest concern was that she is in totally new surroundings. If this had happened at "home" where she knew where everything was, he would be more comfortable with the outcome. In the next month, she would have to move from the vet's barn to the shipper's barn (where she hasn't been, she has been in a pasture), then from the shipper's barn down here. The vet said this could cause a lot of stress, and there is a good possibility that she can get scared in a new place and hurt herself in another way.
I'm trying to weigh the options. I contacted two rescues who have 100% blind horses that have been brought in from new places for their advice. My heart wants to do the surgery, give her the chance because she's been so good. My brain is going down the list of "what ifs". I have the money for the surgery. $1200. I'm scared that if something else does happen, I won't be able to afford to fix it. The money for the surgery is cleaning out the rest of my savings, and with going into a slow time of the year at work I'm already going to be stretching my paychecks. I'm worried that after the surgery she may become so stressed, so nervous, and hurt herself.. and if that happens, the cycle of her getting injured due to stress will continue. I don't know if I should take the risk of putting her though it. I'm honestly completely lost right now. Sorry for the rambling and run on sentences, but I am mentally exhausted.