Oak tree wood chips
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Oak tree wood chips

This is a discussion on Oak tree wood chips within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Oak shavings poisoning in horses
  • Red oak saw dust is it okay fir horses

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-18-2008, 06:31 PM
  #1
Yearling
Oak tree wood chips

So I have lots of oak trees that Im chopping down...and muddy "dry lots." So I thought why not get a wood chipper and kill two birds with one stone lining the dry lots with my wood chips. I know the acorns and spring leaves are toxic for horses from oak trees...but what about dead, dried and chipped?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-18-2008, 06:45 PM
  #2
Showing
I don't think the chips will be a problem except that they are not very absorbent. It make them work at least decently, you may need to triple grind them which will require a really good chipper.
     
    12-18-2008, 09:36 PM
  #3
Trained
Actually, all hardwood chips are toxic at different levels from what I understand. (I used to sell chips.) Walnut is the worst and Oak is right up there. I'd keep the wood chips away from the horses just to be safe.
     
    12-19-2008, 08:18 AM
  #4
Showing
I know that Red Oak is but that is ingested not as a bedding. Black Walnut and Wild Cherry can be harmful or fatal as a bedding.

Up in PA where I used to live there was a saw mill near me and we would regularly buy sawdust from them. They were very careful to separate the toxic trees from the rest but I used to get a mixture of pine, oak, cedar, (and another hardwood that I can't remember now).
     
    12-19-2008, 08:41 AM
  #5
Green Broke
There are many plants that fall into this category. One common culprit is oak, which contains tannins, the toxic principle. Oak ingestion causes hard, dark feces and colic, later turning to bloody diarrhea, oral ulcers and signs of choke. Horses that wander into shrubs or woodlands, restricted from good quality pasture or hay, may ingest oak. Horses with bad teeth, given only complete pelleted feed, and young curious horses may taste leaves. Horses out on the trail may experiment with leaf ingestion if tied near a source. The summertime, when leaves are plentiful, is the most likely time to see oak toxicity.

I think so long as they weren't eating them, you should be ok... :)

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=5&gl=us
     
    12-19-2008, 06:35 PM
  #6
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickshaw    
I think so long as they weren't eating them, you should be ok... :)
As iride said as well and I agree, the trouble is how do you know they won't eat them? For me, it's not worth the risk.
     
    12-22-2008, 08:07 PM
  #7
Started
My bedding is Oak pellets. I've had no problem with it.
     
    12-23-2008, 01:39 PM
  #8
Yearling
I would be worried about fermenting. A place on the way to work has a chipping company and they are always bring in chips. Some mornings the fog from the chips fermenting is quite amazing.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My horses hand-carved in wood george1966 Horse Artwork 3 12-14-2008 10:24 PM
How to stop wood chewing? Sara Horse Tack and Equipment 7 10-24-2008 10:08 AM
Fish Chips sixteenbluebells Horse Training 0 07-15-2008 11:33 PM
Good Alternative to Wood stall doors americanstable Barn Maintenance 7 05-16-2008 04:34 PM
Wood floors in stalls Trailmaker Horse Health 11 02-13-2008 11:34 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0