Odd swelling...Please help! - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Odd swelling...Please help!

This is a discussion on Odd swelling...Please help! within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Does mixture of cortazone and dmso help with bone spurs in the barrel horse
  • Horse size comparison

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-26-2010, 05:52 PM
  #21
Foal
Smile moonflower

Hello. I have seen alot of these. It is a hematoma. Use the water hose with cold water on it several times a day to stop the bleeding that is occuring under the skin. If he will let you, you could use ice on it for 20 min intervels. It will dry up and go away. If he was in the pasture with other horses, he probably got kicked. Anyway, it is a very bad bruise.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-26-2010, 06:02 PM
  #22
Foal
Ok, yes sounds exactly the same! Please keep me updated. My vet did an ultrasound because he could not xray that area! The ultrasound was not very clear so unfortunately his diagnosis is a speculation. I started riding him this week lightly. He seems fine, I'm just using my english saddle and riding bareback instead of using my barrel saddle.let's keep our fingers crossed its nothing serious!!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-26-2010, 06:17 PM
  #23
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonflower    
Hello. I have seen alot of these. It is a hematoma. Use the water hose with cold water on it several times a day to stop the bleeding that is occuring under the skin. If he will let you, you could use ice on it for 20 min intervels. It will dry up and go away. If he was in the pasture with other horses, he probably got kicked. Anyway, it is a very bad bruise.
Hi moonflower! No this happened in his stall so he did not get kicked. I'm pretty sure hematoma is ruled out, well at least per the vet. He said there is no fluid in there. The ultrasound showed muscle mass (swelling). I did cold water & ice therapy the first 2 weeks with no improvement :(
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-26-2010, 06:18 PM
  #24
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovestitch    
I have my vet coming out this Friday. It has been 6 days since the swelling popped up. Yeah he is as sound as every but I have only been lounging him because I don't want the saddle rubbing on that if I don't know what it is. Yes it is only on his right side, his left side is completely normal. I will post what my vet says after my apt with him. But 3 weeks... yikes. That's no good. I am not keeping very hopeful.
Ok, yes sounds exactly the same! Please keep me updated. My vet did an ultrasound because he could not xray that area! The ultrasound was not very clear so unfortunately his diagnosis is a speculation. I started riding him this week lightly. He seems fine, I'm just using my english saddle and riding bareback instead of using my barrel saddle.let's keep our fingers crossed its nothing serious!!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-26-2010, 09:29 PM
  #25
Weanling
I have dealt with hematomas before. There is no heat what so ever in his shoulders, hematomas usually present with heat.


Here is a picture of the swelling from behind to compare.
GetAttachment-4.aspx.jpg
GetAttachment-6.aspx.jpg
     
    05-26-2010, 09:39 PM
  #26
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovestitch    
I have dealt with hematomas before. There is no heat what so ever in his shoulders, hematomas usually present with heat.


Here is a picture of the swelling from behind to compare.
Attachment 32170
Attachment 32169
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-26-2010, 09:40 PM
  #27
Foal
Hi again. Since the vet ruled out hemotoma, and it was from inside the stall---I have also seen when a horse is rolling, he gets stuck in a corner or puts his leg thru a board and then twists his shoulder severely while trying to get up. Did the vet take a xray? On a shoulder there is no where for the fluid from swelling to go othere than above the bone and this causes a pool of fluid like this. Still hose it regurely, limit excercise--only leading him if you do and usually Bute is good for pain and inflamation. There is a mixture I have the vet make up for pulls and strains where swelling starts, and that is: Cortosone and DMSO combined. Apply it once a day. See if you can get that.
     
    05-26-2010, 09:47 PM
  #28
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTranch    
Posted via Mobile Device
You know what...that was somebody elses reply about the hematoma. I was trying to reply to your post but replied to theirs on accident. Hematoma is definitely ruled out!! There is no fluid or heat. Just a hard muscle mass in my case. I see your pictures. They look very similar to our "lump". Please keep me updated what the vet says on Friday. I had my vets diagnosis posted in a prior post if you have not seen it. I am very curious what they say in your case!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-27-2010, 01:10 AM
  #29
Foal
Sorry I am terrible with replying from my phone, nothing ever goes in the right place! I was replying to ILOVESTITCH>>"I have dealt with hematomas before. There is no heat what so ever in his shoulders, hematomas usually present with heat."
     
    05-27-2010, 01:22 AM
  #30
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonflower    
Hi again. Since the vet ruled out hemotoma, and it was from inside the stall---I have also seen when a horse is rolling, he gets stuck in a corner or puts his leg thru a board and then twists his shoulder severely while trying to get up. Did the vet take a xray? On a shoulder there is no where for the fluid from swelling to go othere than above the bone and this causes a pool of fluid like this. Still hose it regurely, limit excercise--only leading him if you do and usually Bute is good for pain and inflamation. There is a mixture I have the vet make up for pulls and strains where swelling starts, and that is: Cortosone and DMSO combined. Apply it once a day. See if you can get that.
Yes, I agree, the only tangible answer would be if he got cast at night. But who knows! The only thing I can say is that it is definitely not fluid in there. They were able to determine this with the ultrasound.
To further answer your question, they could not take an xray of the shoulder, there was no way to isolate that area, they would haveto sedate him and xray his whole upper torso area which they did not even offer.
He's back under saddle, this is his 3rd week of swellling. The vet said to ride him just watch that the saddle does not rub that area. He was off the bute after a week, it really did nothing, he doesn't seem to be in pain and the anti-infalmmitory properties did not do their magic!! So we are just waiting to see what happens. I hose him down however there is no heat, so its definitely proving to be a tricky problem to treat. Thank you again for the dmso/cortisone suggestion.
     

Tags
bump, lump, shoulder, swollen

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get swelling down?? VanillaBean Horse Health 13 12-24-2009 10:16 AM
swelling angelsgrace Horse Health 5 10-29-2009 01:31 AM
swelling lucyjay11 Horse Health 25 10-10-2009 09:05 AM
Swelling??? idk what to do... katieandduke Horse Health 0 07-13-2009 08:05 PM
Frog Swelling? xx chico Horse Health 1 03-31-2009 10:20 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0