oh dear :/ - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-11-2010, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 244
• Horses: 2
oh dear :/

ok this is no joke!!! my boyfriend finds it funny but i dont!!! can a horse get ill from eating chocolate??!! my lil niece was eating chocolate and stood stroking my horse while i groomed her and next thing i knew it she screamed WOW cancionera likes chocolate!!!!! lmao i know its funny but im scared at the same time, chocolate has a lot of sugar in it!!!
XxemmafuriaxX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
I would not say it is good for your horse but I highly doubt it will hurt your horse.

I have a friend who feeds her horse (and mine) peanut butter cups on a daily basis. Probably not the best treat but there have been no ill affects.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,655
• Horses: 10
my friends horse gets the occasional piece of chocolate and it hasn't done him any harm yet, its definitely not something to give him regularly though!

Flirt-Hugo-Phoenix-Romance-Fanta-Nippa-Shiloh
Trojan 09.11.02 - 26.10.10 // Kody 01.09.89-25.06.12 // Rex 05.11.95-21.12.12
HowClever is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 244
• Horses: 2
omg!! well ive just searched on google and it says given in very minimal amounts it cannot hurt a horse but theres a certain chemical in chocolate that is poisonous to horses rabbits dogs cats etc and can cause seizures and even heart attacks!!!!! i know she didnt eat a very big amount i just went into a panick there hahah
XxemmafuriaxX is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 03-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachussetts
Posts: 562
• Horses: 1
i gave my horse half a chocolate chip cookie once. thats theonly chocolate hes ever eaten lol
heyycutter is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 03-17-2010, 04:50 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New River, Az
Posts: 2,472
• Horses: 0
Theobromine (in chocolate, and higher concentration in unsweetened chocolate) is toxic to dogs, cats and birds, but thankfully not humans ;) I'm not sure about horses though?
CheyAut is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 03-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: secret mountain valley
Posts: 1,363
• Horses: 2
Cheyaut is right, and your horse would have to eat a LOT of chocolate to get sick. It is dose dependant (like all toxins) and the amount to harm a dog of say, 50 lbs would be like a 2 lb box of dark chocolate truffles (because it is actually cocoa that has the compound). I know there are species differences and don't have my toxicology notes on me but I doubt that a little taste of chocolate is going to make your girl ill. In the future though, tell your niece to stick with carrots!
tealamutt is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 03-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 1,566
• Horses: 0
I often buy day old donuts from the local tim hortons and feed them to our 3 horses, They love them and they are loaded with sugar. I also feed french fries and breath mints.
It will not harm him. Against warnings from others I also fed bits of chocolate bars to my dog.
RiosDad is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Gatesville, TX
Posts: 152
• Horses: 4
I was always told its the dark chocolate you have to stay away from for animals that can be toxic..its the cocoa or something they use..white chocolate and milk chocolate are considered different. I found out this the hard way when I came home to find my 2 dogs had consumed a whole bag of milk chocolate bells wrapped in foil out of someones christmas gift bag..I had a big meltdown until I got a hold of the vet. They pooped red, green, and silver foil for 2 days:) I dont think it would hurt it will hurt them since most kids candy is milk chocolate.
hhadavis is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 03-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW WA
Posts: 610
• Horses: 2
If my chocolate (really) lab can eat 4 oreo cookies and have no ill effects, I imagine a horse will be okay with a small amount.


Joni
Fowl Play is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dear Santa Spyder General Off Topic Discussion 12 01-15-2010 07:12 PM
Oh dear... what to do? Velvetgrace Horse Training 9 01-25-2009 12:14 PM
Oh dear, I need help. Harlee rides horses Horse Training 42 08-12-2008 08:58 PM
Dear Santa, I would like... Vidaloco Horse Talk 18 12-08-2007 06:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome