which oil is best for weight gain and what do they all do?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

which oil is best for weight gain and what do they all do?

This is a discussion on which oil is best for weight gain and what do they all do? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • The best oils for weight gain
  • Best oil horse weight gain

Like Tree2Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-07-2008, 11:08 PM
  #1
Trained
which oil is best for weight gain and what do they all do?

I was looking through the wholesalers catalogue today (i work in the pet industry so I can order all my stuff except for hay and grain and get it wholesale) and saw this huge list of oils for feeding and I had no idea what they were all for so I thought I would see if anyone on here knows.

Cod liver oil
Linseed oil
Maize oil
Paraffin oil
Rice bran oil (im assuming this one might be good for weight as I feed rice bran and it has a high fat content)
Canola oil

If anyone can tell me what these oils are good for that would be great :)

Thanks in advance
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-08-2008, 07:12 AM
  #2
Showing
I add just simple cheap corn oil. :) Keep coat very shiny. I'v seen the owner started to add canola oil at the barn I've been before (she added quite a lot though - half cup or so), and her youngster got all shiny in month or so.
     
    01-08-2008, 01:10 PM
  #3
Yearling
Vegetable oils or even fish oils provide a source of fat and fat helps either put on weight or provide energy. In fact, most fats provide at least twice as much digestible energy (used for all body functions) than protein. That is why a small amount of fat or oil goes a long way.

Paraffin oil is non-digestible, therefore doesn't provide anything for the body's use. It has previously been used to try to help prevent sand colic, however it's not been shown to be very effective.
     
    01-09-2008, 07:15 AM
  #4
Showing
No expert here Jazzy but I wonder if the linseed and parafin oils are for external use. I know I have used linseed oil in different applications in woodworking so may be for hooves same with the parafin. Or possibly for use on leather goods? The cod liver I know my mom used to give it to me as a kid It always made me barf :P
     
    01-12-2008, 02:59 PM
  #5
Foal
I've used canola oil, a "glub" mixed in with grain, for weight gain and coat health. The horses love it!
     
    01-12-2008, 06:41 PM
  #6
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidaloco
No expert here Jazzy but I wonder if the linseed and parafin oils are for external use. I know I have used linseed oil in different applications in woodworking so may be for hooves same with the parafin. Or possibly for use on leather goods? The cod liver I know my mom used to give it to me as a kid It always made me barf :P
but it was under the feed supplement seection that's what made me assume it was for feeding :)

TheStables - I've heard a few people say about canola for weight gain and coat health now :)
     
    01-13-2008, 04:47 AM
  #7
Yearling
I have recentally been buying Corn Oil... and man, my horses have tripled there weight, and they are in top show condition. I buy mine from Boylans for $60 for 5L, and I feed three horses morning and night, and its working out very econmical.
I swear by it...
Its great stuff!!
     
    01-13-2008, 05:19 AM
  #8
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delregans Way
I have recentally been buying Corn Oil... and man, my horses have tripled there weight, and they are in top show condition. I buy mine from Boylans for $60 for 5L, and I feed three horses morning and night, and its working out very econmical.
I swear by it...
Its great stuff!!
is that the same as maize oil? I have a feeling maize is another word for corn but im not sure
     
    01-13-2008, 07:44 AM
  #9
Showing
Maize/corn same thing I think it depends on where you are standing
     
    01-13-2008, 07:51 AM
  #10
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidaloco
maize/corn same thing I think it depends on where you are standing
and how the wind is blowing???? Lol

I thought they were the same :) I might have to try that
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0