Is one time chiropractor visit worth it? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Is one time chiropractor visit worth it?

This is a discussion on Is one time chiropractor visit worth it? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Powered by vBulletin how many people think chiropractic works?
  • Powered by myBB complementary and alternative medicine

Like Tree15Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-04-2012, 07:44 AM
  #11
Green Broke
There is little evidence beyond anecdotal that an equine chiropractor does anything but separate owners from their money.
The helpful response is,
No, a single visit isnt worth it. Neither are the next 100.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-04-2012, 08:49 AM
  #12
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
There is little evidence beyond anecdotal that an equine chiropractor does anything but separate owners from their money.
Understandable, and that is your prerogative. I don't need someone else to tell me if something is beneficial to me or my horse (barring medical issues). If it makes me feel better, and makes my horse feel better, it is worth it. Even if some people believe otherwise. My concern isn't with their opinions, but with my horse's health. If I believe something to be helpful that is in no way detrimental to my horse, I'm probably going to try it.

There are differing opinions on all things horse related. It goes on and on. Teeth floating, blanketing, feeds, massage, wraps, etc.

To the OP, you have to do what you are comfortable with. One visit isn't going to necessitate followup visits simply because you did the first one. It's at least worth trying to see if it is beneficial or not.

I guess I would rather be hopeful than cynical when it comes to alternative medicine. If that makes others believe I'm naive, that is fine with me. I am the one in charge of horse's health and well being, and I will do what I can to make sure they are healthy, happy and comfortable.
     
    03-04-2012, 10:48 AM
  #13
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
There is little evidence beyond anecdotal that an equine chiropractor does anything but separate owners from their money.
The helpful response is,
No, a single visit isnt worth it. Neither are the next 100.
Joe, do you have a personal experience you speak from? Or you just discouraging simply because you heard or read something on web? I don't think bashing "just because I think so" is a good way to go unless you have experience yourself you can share.

I went to the demonstration once with the very good chiro dealing with the crooked horses. She worked on 2 horses (I personally know one owner and the horse) for may be 40 mins each. The difference in horse's movement/body relaxation before she started and after was very noticeable.
COWCHICK77 likes this.
     
    03-04-2012, 11:27 AM
  #14
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
There is little evidence beyond anecdotal that an equine chiropractor does anything but separate owners from their money.
The helpful response is,
No, a single visit isnt worth it. Neither are the next 100.
I don't find this to be true. I have seen where it has helped and it has helped discover the underlying issues that have cause a misalignment. Also if I feel the chiro should come out he doesn't always adjust the horse. If he needs to be done and he will tell me he needs an adjustment. If not then I hand a twenty dollar bill for his fuel and time and he drives away.

I am sure there are ones out there that might try to tell you that your horses need constant work when they don't. No different than farriers vets whatever, there are good ones and bad ones....
kitten_Val and SkyeDawn like this.
     
    03-04-2012, 11:37 AM
  #15
Showing
I've seen it help first hand as well on many horses, including quite a few of my own over the years. We had a reining mare when I was younger that needed chiro on a regular basis. You could always tell when she needed work as she'd start tipping her nose one way when working. After an adjustment she was good several months before needing another.
     
    03-04-2012, 11:59 AM
  #16
Green Broke
You can't have personal experience with a "lack of evidence". As is there isnt any scientific evidence to support this.
It's not just because "I" think.
The scientific community that believes in actual blind studies and the scientific method agrees with me.
Lots of people believe in the Physic friends network. I am sure we could line up a bunch of people that have anecdotal evidence to support it. Just like the above posters. Lots and lots of snake oil salesmen have been conning people since the dawn of time. I imagine many of the best even believed in their own products. The Placebo effect is a powerful thing.
I guarantee you one thing, that chiropractor comes out your horse will need an adjustment, it will also need a continueing adjustment over and over, accompanied by continuing payments.
I answered the OP's original question based on the fact that no credible scientific study has ever shown this to do any good.
     
    03-04-2012, 12:00 PM
  #17
Green Broke
Joe,

The chiro who works on the horses at the barn will straight up tell you if she doesn't need to see the horse again.

We got out one horse for a visit a few weeks ago and when she was done she said, "He's fine. I won't need to see him again."

Not all chiros are the same.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-04-2012, 12:12 PM
  #18
Green Broke
On a side note, I just read that not even the American Chiropractic Association recognizes this. The research, and lack there of is out there, testimonials are not research though.
     
    03-04-2012, 12:14 PM
  #19
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
The Placebo effect is a powerful thing.
Even if this is all it does, it is still a positive effect on my horse, and well worth the time.

I also wanted to point this out, Joe:

Quote:
Education, certification and regulation

Pre-requisites
North American applicants must have graduated from an accredited veterinary school or CCE-accredited chiropractic school and hold current licenses from their respective provinces or states.[17] In Australia a first professional degree in chiropractic, osteopathic or veterinary medicine is required for admission into the Masters of Chiropractic Science program.[5]
Education
Most veterinary chiropractic programs are a minimum of 210 hours of additional training following the completion of veterinary or chiropractic school, and subsequent licensure. Practitioners will be able to complete an appropriate history, physical examination, communicate a diagnosis and plan of management, and provide care where indicated within their respective scopes of practice.[18] Though there is variation, common topics covered in veterinary chiropractic programs can include:
Anatomy
Basic and advanced Neurology
Rehabilitation Therapy
Complementary and alternative medicine modalities
Philosophy
Basic and advanced chiropractic manipulative techniques

Currently, the Animal Chiropractic Accreditation Commission (ACAC) is the defacto accrediting body for veterinary chiropractic. All accredited programs must meet ACAC's minimum requirement of 210 hours. A passing grade of 75 in both the written, theoretical and the clinical competency examination is required for certification. Continuing education requirements of the ACAC are 30 credits every 3 years for recertification.[4] Though few U.S. Veterinary schools offer educational or research programs in complementary and alternative veterinary medicine (CAMV), in a survey, 61% of faculty believe that chiropractic should be included in their school's curriculum.[19]
To be a chiropractor, you have to have a veterinary degree before you can even get chiropractic degree. You also have to be re-certified every three years, and in order to do so you need to take another 30 credits of classes to stay up to date on the latest research.

You say there is no evidence proving it, there is only anecdotal evidence. Is there any evidence disproving it or proving it to be harmful? If a licensed chiropractor is working on my horse, they know what they are doing. Unlicensed chiropractors are another thing entirely, and fall under 'snake oil salesman'. Unfortunately, there are quite a few that claim to be licensed. They can have the pants sued off them.

I am under the assumption that if someone is going through all of that trouble to obtain that specific of a degree, they darn sure believe in their practice. Veterinary school is not cheap.

It's not something you feel you need to spend money on, and that's fine. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, nor would I ever be able to. However, as I respect your opinions and decisions, it would be the kind thing to do to offer your own point of view a little less viciously and with a little more to back it up to give it a little more credibility. I think if someone is asking for differing life experiences, it is a little more helpful than "of course they are going to say they need to keep coming back, once they have a mark they are going to keep hitting you up."

If it is something you feel this strongly on, and feel the need to warn others away from it, please present the information that you speak of so that you can enlighten the rest of us.
     
    03-04-2012, 12:20 PM
  #20
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeDawn    
A mare at our barn is incredibly sore, and will continue to need work as long as her rider keeps using an ill fitting saddle.
I wanted to add that I have been with the person working on this horse, and she would MUCH prefer that the horse have the saddle issue fixed than to constantly band aid a problem. Her concern is for the horse, not her own pocketbook.

Hearing someone say they don't believe in something because there is currently no credible research to back it up is a little disheartening. If everyone thought the same way we would never have any medical, technological or scientific advancements.

However, I am NOT stating that chiropractic work is a substitute to veterinary work. But it is a useful tool that deserves it's own recognition for specific cases. It's not a cure-all.
     

Tags
chiropractor, stiffness

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First time chiropractor appointment. CLaPorte432 Horse Health 9 03-06-2012 08:40 AM
Is it worth the money and time to make your own polos? Klassic Superstar Horse Tack and Equipment 11 12-29-2011 11:36 PM
Chiropractor...time to go see him again drafts4ever Horse Talk 4 09-08-2010 08:35 PM
Bad Fall yet worth the time :] Waybueno Horse Stories and Poems 1 07-23-2010 04:45 PM
Chiropractor visit question? AussieDaisyGirl Horse Health 14 09-11-2009 10:22 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0