Opinions on horse's condition.
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Opinions on horse's condition.

This is a discussion on Opinions on horse's condition. within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Horse a bit skinny, eats and drinks, runny stools, want to lay down all the time
  • Horse has runny dark poop

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-17-2012, 12:00 PM
  #1
Yearling
Opinions on horse's condition.

So thanks to the weather, it seems my horse has some issues we need worked out. I may very well be just a paranoid owner, but I want him well taken care of. He's 8 years old, gelded. I have had him for a little over a year.

He is not skinny, has a shiny coat, eats and drinks well. He seems kind of lethargic, I'm thinking from the heat. He isn't being ridden right now, and he is kept as my pasture puff. He still gets regular worming, vet care, and trimmings. He wears a fly mask. On really hot days we used to give them a bath, but the well is running dry where he is, so we can't do that anymore. He has access to a shelter as well.

So here are my issues.

He has what I believe may be rain rot on his back legs. I was treating it with krudbuster, which seemed to help a bit, but it has spread to his thighs near his groin area now. It's puzzling. It causes small amounts of hair to fall out, and seems to itch.

He has these weird cuts on his hocks, almost like he's been itching them against the barn or something. They aren't deep, and I know I probably shouldn't worry about them. I've been trying to just let them heal, but they just don't seem to go away. I think I may pick up some vetericyn tonight to spray on them.

He has runny poop. Not too bad, but bad enough that I'm a little concerned. I don't know if its the heat or what. Is it possible that he may be stressed out? He was recently pulled off pasture and put on hay for a few weeks, simply because we have had no rain and the grass isn't growing. We are moving him to our neighbors pasture, which is really plentiful because he has 3 sheep on 10 acres, lots of grass left with access to a pond. Should I be concerned about his stools, or should I wait and see if being put back out will help?

I know he needs his sheath cleaned, but I've never done it before. I am very willing to do it, and up til now he looked like he was clean. But he's def in need of a cleaning. Any tips? I've heard you can hurt them getting the bean out. Is that true? What's the best product to clean them with?

I ran out of his joint supplement, so he needs more of that. I'm going to order it either today or tomorrow. I'm wondering, since I'll be ordering online, if I should pick up any other supplement for him? Like a multivitamin or maybe a electrolyte? He has a salt block, but I'm concerned with how hot it is, and how much sweating he does, that maybe he isn't getting the proper amount of nutrients.

His feet have been cracking also, so I have been putting a hoof moisturizer on him. He is due to be trimmed again this next week, but his feet really aren't long, just cracking a little.

Oh and the only grain he gets is with his supplement, which is a negligible amount. I can put him on grain if needed, but he is an easy keeper and maintains, or even gains weight, on just pasture.

Sorry that's long, but I want to make sure that my boy is getting taken care of the best I can in this heat. Any advice appreciated!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-17-2012, 12:12 PM
  #2
Green Broke
Rain rot sounds not right if there hasn't been any rain at all and is very dry. Are his legs white? My mare has scratches again on her legs. A medicated shampoo works or you can get medicated spray if no water for a bath. Microtek or mane and tail protect work. Are his gums a bright pink? If not then something's most likely wrong.

Sorry can't help on the other stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-17-2012, 12:32 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy1356    
Rain rot sounds not right if there hasn't been any rain at all and is very dry. Are his legs white? My mare has scratches again on her legs. A medicated shampoo works or you can get medicated spray if no water for a bath. Microtek or mane and tail protect work. Are his gums a bright pink? If not then something's most likely wrong.

Sorry can't help on the other stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Haven't thought to check his gums. But I will most definitely do that when I go out again today. I had thought the same about rain rot, thinking it was too dry, but someone told me that it actually has nothing to do with rain and they can get it anyways. I don't know.

Good idea with the medicated shampoo. I used to use iodine shampoo on my mare, maybe I will try to get some and wash his legs at least.
     
    07-17-2012, 12:38 PM
  #4
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakotababii    
He has what I believe may be rain rot on his back legs. I was treating it with krudbuster, which seemed to help a bit, but it has spread to his thighs near his groin area now. It's puzzling. It causes small amounts of hair to fall out, and seems to itch.

He has these weird cuts on his hocks, almost like he's been itching them against the barn or something. They aren't deep, and I know I probably shouldn't worry about them. I've been trying to just let them heal, but they just don't seem to go away. I think I may pick up some vetericyn tonight to spray on them.

He has runny poop.

I know he needs his sheath cleaned. What's the best product to clean them with?

I ran out of his joint supplement He has a salt block

His feet have been cracking also, so I have been putting a hoof moisturizer on him. He is due to be trimmed again this next week, but his feet really aren't long, just cracking a little.
First off - are his legs black? What you are seeing is likely a type of fungus due to the heat and sweat. Best bet is to keep his legs clean and spray with an antifungal.

The cuts are likely due to scratching. Again - the antifungal.

Runny manure - combo of drinking more and standing at the salt block.

At eight - why is he on a joint supplement?

Dry cracked hooves - if it's dry - it will happen. Best moisture is a bit of mud to stand in. Allow the water tank to over flow.

If you are concerned, please contact a vet. Many odd tick or bug borne illnesses at this time of year.
loosie likes this.
     
    07-17-2012, 01:12 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls    
First off - are his legs black? What you are seeing is likely a type of fungus due to the heat and sweat. Best bet is to keep his legs clean and spray with an antifungal.

The cuts are likely due to scratching. Again - the antifungal.

Runny manure - combo of drinking more and standing at the salt block.

At eight - why is he on a joint supplement?

Dry cracked hooves - if it's dry - it will happen. Best moisture is a bit of mud to stand in. Allow the water tank to over flow.

If you are concerned, please contact a vet. Many odd tick or bug borne illnesses at this time of year.

Okay cool. That's what I figured, guess I just needed to hear it from someone else.

He is on a joint supplement per vets suggestion. He has hock issues and premature arthritis, presumably left over from an old injury. I had x-rays done on him, and he is starting to fuse in his one hock. Vet said that's a good thing, that he will be more sound when it fuses. Til then, when he is worked he receives regular hock injections and a supplement. When not worked, he receives only the supplement.

Yes, he is a black horse. I was just puzzled because I have been using an anti-fungal and it is still an issue. I'll perhaps need to apply it more often.

If I do not see improvement in the runny stool, or if I see him go down in condition or stop eating/drinking, I will definitely be calling a vet. Just wanted to see if anyone saw any red flags or anything, but since no one seems overly concerned, I will wait it out and see. He is going on full pasture soon, so that may fix a lot of it in itself.
     
    07-17-2012, 01:22 PM
  #6
Green Broke
A blood panel can't hurt and can rule out tick illness anemia and other organ problems if you are worried. I had the put the mane and tail protect spray on everyday for two weeks to completely cure whatever fungal thing she had going on. And I made sure to really scrub it into her skin too.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-17-2012, 01:25 PM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy1356    
A blood panel can't hurt and can rule out tick illness anemia and other organ problems if you are worried. I had the put the mane and tail protect spray on everyday for two weeks to completely cure whatever fungal thing she had going on. And I made sure to really scrub it into her skin too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah if I have anything done by the vet, it will be a blood panel or similar check for tick-borne illnesses. The ticks here are awful, and although I have only pulled one off of him this season, I wouldn't be surprised if I missed more. I have pulled numerous ones off of dogs and myself as well.
     
    07-18-2012, 03:06 AM
  #8
Trained
Firstly, agree with mls on all but the dry hooves....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakotababii    
He is not skinny, has a shiny coat, eats and drinks well. He seems kind of lethargic, I'm thinking from the heat.
Yep, could well be the heat. Is it too hot for you to feel like rushing?(I'm in winter here)

Quote:
He has what I believe may be rain rot on his back legs. I was treating it with krudbuster, which seemed to help a bit, but it has spread to his thighs near his groin area now. It's puzzling. It causes small amounts of hair to fall out, and seems to itch.
Could be 'rain rot/mud fever' - which is an infection poppy, not a product of rain, just that wet/soft skin can be more prone. If what you're using isn't working, perhaps it's bacterial or bugs - your vet should be able to point you to a good broad spectrum product. It could also be allergy, nutritional, or it could be 'nappy rash' from the runny poo.

Quote:
He has runny poop.
Could be due to drinking more, but unless he's drinking a heap more than necessary, generally more wee than runs. Horses often get 'hind gut acidosis' from starchy feed/rich pasture. Is he on anything else than hay? What kind hay? Is it 'good quality' so perhaps sweeter than pasture he's been used to? A probiotic might be a good idea to help his guts settle.

Quote:
I know he needs his sheath cleaned, but I've never done it before. I am very willing to do it,
Very willing?? Reach in & have a feel around - just be careful if you've never done it before to make sure he's comfortable about it.

Quote:
I'm wondering, since I'll be ordering online, if I should pick up any other supplement for him? Like a multivitamin or maybe a electrolyte? He has a salt block,
Yes, most horses don't get adequate or well balanced nutrition from pasture or hay alone & do need a nutritional supp. This could be at the root of the mud fever too, as it's been found that horses with good diets & well balanced nutrition are a lot less susceptible to infections such as this. I recommend feedxl.com as a fantastic program for working out diet details.

Quote:
His feet have been cracking also, so I have been putting a hoof moisturizer on him. He is due to be trimmed again this next week, but his feet really aren't long, just cracking a little.
It's not generally due to dry environment, which is what hooves are built for. Moisturiser does nothing for the health of hooves, but if there is any infection present, can exacerbate it. Cracks may be due to long &/or imbalanced hooves, infection, diet or nutrition, or working on rough ground when hooves aren't conditioned for it.

Quote:
Oh and the only grain he gets is with his supplement, which is a negligible amount. I can put him on grain if needed, but he is an easy keeper and maintains, or even gains weight, on just pasture.
Good. Best to avoid high starch feeds if possible anyway & if he doesn't need the extra, don't bother.
     
    07-18-2012, 08:57 AM
  #9
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    



Could be 'rain rot/mud fever' - which is an infection poppy, not a product of rain, just that wet/soft skin can be more prone. If what you're using isn't working, perhaps it's bacterial or bugs - your vet should be able to point you to a good broad spectrum product. It could also be allergy, nutritional, or it could be 'nappy rash' from the runny poo .
Can you tell more about this nappy rash? My mare gets what looks like rain rot on the back of her legs sometimes and that mane and tail protect is an anti fungal antibacterial and it takes care of it.

Also I know rain rot is not caused by rain but I thought it had to have moisture around. So a really dry climate would not get it.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-18-2012, 10:42 AM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Firstly, agree with mls on all but the dry hooves....


Yep, could well be the heat. Is it too hot for you to feel like rushing?(I'm in winter here)
Yes the heat here is in the 100s. So WAY hot. Humidty anywhere from 40 to 70ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Could be 'rain rot/mud fever' - which is an infection poppy, not a product of rain, just that wet/soft skin can be more prone. If what you're using isn't working, perhaps it's bacterial or bugs - your vet should be able to point you to a good broad spectrum product. It could also be allergy, nutritional, or it could be 'nappy rash' from the runny poo.
That's what I was thinking. I am also thinking a supplement or multivitamin may help him out quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Could be due to drinking more, but unless he's drinking a heap more than necessary, generally more wee than runs. Horses often get 'hind gut acidosis' from starchy feed/rich pasture. Is he on anything else than hay? What kind hay? Is it 'good quality' so perhaps sweeter than pasture he's been used to? A probiotic might be a good idea to help his guts settle.
Yes, the hay is high quality mix of alfalfa, clover, and timothy grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Very willing?? Reach in & have a feel around - just be careful if you've never done it before to make sure he's comfortable about it.
haha yes, I am SO looking forward to it


Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Yes, most horses don't get adequate or well balanced nutrition from pasture or hay alone & do need a nutritional supp. This could be at the root of the mud fever too, as it's been found that horses with good diets & well balanced nutrition are a lot less susceptible to infections such as this. I recommend feedxl.com as a fantastic program for working out diet details.
Thanks! I will have to look at that. So just a general question, is a probiotic better or a multivitamin or electrolytes? I really don't know the difference.


Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
It's not generally due to dry environment, which is what hooves are built for. Moisturiser does nothing for the health of hooves, but if there is any infection present, can exacerbate it. Cracks may be due to long &/or imbalanced hooves, infection, diet or nutrition, or working on rough ground when hooves aren't conditioned for it.
I'm thinking getting him on a good supplement may help this issue. And I'm also thinking the rough ground isn't helping, its hard as a rock simply because we are in drought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Good. Best to avoid high starch feeds if possible anyway & if he doesn't need the extra, don't bother.
That's what I was thinking. I don't want to feed him extra if not necessary, as prices are going way up for hay. Corn and feed is going to go up too, as much of the crop is so stressed they are thinking of plowing it under since there is no rain.... going to be a fun winter that's for sure
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What can you say about the condition of this horse? Golden Horse Horse Health 30 12-30-2011 06:47 PM
how do condition your horse for CTR Gidget Trail Riding 21 03-22-2011 09:30 PM
Your way to condition a horse... xpyrrohs Horse Training 10 03-09-2009 12:27 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0