Overdose on worming paste?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Overdose on worming paste?

This is a discussion on Overdose on worming paste? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • What should you do if your horse overdoses on worming paste?
  • Overdose of horse wormer

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-06-2011, 03:57 AM
  #1
Foal
Overdose on worming paste?

I currently have my horse agisted at my work, and we have just had all the school horses wormed. My horse is in an unserviced paddock with six other horses. Basically, I have to do everything myself, which I thought included worming my own horse. Anyway, turns out this isn't the case, and they did it without telling me so she has been re wormed by me the very next day. I have read that colic is a possible side effect of overdosing on worming paste, is this common? And is there anything else I should be looking out for?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-06-2011, 05:23 AM
  #2
Green Broke
TO truely overdose a horse you hve to give it a significant amount.

With double worming your biggest threat is colic. Colic is most likely in horses that had a heavy worm burden before worming, as the worms dieing off (perticularly encysted red worm which have burrowed into the walls of the gut) in massive numbers very quickly cause discomfort in the gut and can cause a toxic reaction.

If your horse was previously wormed and did not appear to be wormy then I would say you will probably get away with it.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overdose - unbeatable? Gengsty Famous Horses 12 05-07-2010 12:38 PM
Calming paste??? htrjmpr4 Horse Health 4 03-20-2009 06:53 PM
Giving worming paste - any tips? funnygal Horse Health 18 01-11-2008 08:46 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0