Panacur PowerPak - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 12-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
• Horses: 0
Sounds like you truly believe in what you say and I respect your opinion but there are other opinions out there for sure.

How about a little respect in return??
5cuetrain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 30 Old 12-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Texas
Posts: 1,917
• Horses: 5
I haven't shown you any disrespect, simply pointed out flaws in logic or areas things that might not be considered.

Cindy D.
Licensed Veterinary Technician
Ryle is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old 12-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dixie
Posts: 481
• Horses: 0
Just a side note regarding Quest. I will not use it again. I have used it in the past with no problem thankfully.. however -

A friend of mine's vet dosed my friends horses with Quest. The problem one gelding had, and was proven to be from the Quest was everywhere he had white hair/pink skin, (he's a bay) the hair fell out and his skin sluffed off.

Extensive testing proved moxidectin was the culprit, and Ft Dodge settled with my friend out of court admitting it was the fault of their product

<\__~
.// \\
qtrhrsecrazy is offline  
post #24 of 30 Old 12-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SouthEastern PA
Posts: 1,740
• Horses: 2
^^ good to know. Ive never used it, not because of anything Ive herd but based on my vets recomendation.
sillybunny11486 is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 12-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryle View Post
I haven't shown you any disrespect, simply pointed out flaws in logic or areas things that might not be considered.
:roll:

I believe the point is, you have said it over and over again and anyone who does not agree with you gets reminded by you that they are nothing short of stupid.

You have your opinion. Other vet practices have other opinions.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #26 of 30 Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 AM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrhrsecrazy View Post
Extensive testing proved moxidectin was the culprit, and Ft Dodge settled with my friend out of court admitting it was the fault of their product
However - no one can predict what a horse (or human) may have a reaction to.

Vaccines, wormer, feed, fly spray, shampoo . . . .
mls is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 12-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls View Post
However - no one can predict what a horse (or human) may have a reaction to.

Vaccines, wormer, feed, fly spray, shampoo . . . .
Very good point.

What one horse might react to might not be a problem for someone else, etc.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dixie
Posts: 481
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls View Post
However - no one can predict what a horse (or human) may have a reaction to.

Vaccines, wormer, feed, fly spray, shampoo . . . .
That's right, and her other horses were fine... it was just the one. It's enough of a red flag with the reaction being so traumatic, that why push it.

There's plenty of other wormers that are effective, and much safer than Quest. I'm sticking with those.

I have a mare that one year had a reaction to the flu/rhino vaccine. Never an issue up to that point. She no longer can have it. My other horses never had a problem with flu/rhino. 3 veterinarians said it's that particular type of rhino vaccine (don't remember the details it's been to long ago) but you can't get a flu shot without it

<\__~
.// \\

Last edited by qtrhrsecrazy; 12-17-2009 at 08:26 PM.
qtrhrsecrazy is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old 12-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Texas
Posts: 1,917
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrhrsecrazy View Post

There's plenty of other wormers that are effective, and much safer than Quest. I'm sticking with those.
Unfortunatly that is simply not the case anymore. There is widespread resistance among strongyles to the benzimendazole class of dewormers with fenbendazole having resistance issues in 95+% of areas tested in the US. And there is resistance among strongyles to pyrantel (Strongid) in around 50% of areas tested. This past year a study with the first farm showing resistance of strongyles to ivermectin was published. Strongyles are the biggest problem to focus on in adult horses.

Then you look at ascarids which are a huge concern in foals and you see resistance to ivermectin and resistance to pyrantel.

So truthfully the number of deworming chemicals that are currently effective in a given situation is around 2. And moxidectin is in the same chemical family as ivermectin so it won't take as long to start seeing resistance to it because the parasites have had such long and frequent exposure to a similar chemical.

Cindy D.
Licensed Veterinary Technician
Ryle is offline  
post #30 of 30 Old 12-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dixie
Posts: 481
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryle View Post
Unfortunatly that is simply not the case anymore. There is widespread resistance among strongyles to the benzimendazole class of dewormers with fenbendazole having resistance issues in 95+% of areas tested in the US. And there is resistance among strongyles to pyrantel (Strongid) in around 50% of areas tested. This past year a study with the first farm showing resistance of strongyles to ivermectin was published. Strongyles are the biggest problem to focus on in adult horses.

Then you look at ascarids which are a huge concern in foals and you see resistance to ivermectin and resistance to pyrantel.

So truthfully the number of deworming chemicals that are currently effective in a given situation is around 2. And moxidectin is in the same chemical family as ivermectin so it won't take as long to start seeing resistance to it because the parasites have had such long and frequent exposure to a similar chemical.
I'm not having any problems thankfully not using moxidectin. I have fecal's done a couple of times a year, and they're clean

<\__~
.// \\
qtrhrsecrazy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Panacur Powerpac melinda27858 Horse Health 7 05-12-2008 05:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome