No, it's completely different. What I used on this filly is a wound salve that we make. The bloodroot salve is entirely different with NONE of the same ingredients. It would be really damaging to use on a wound, not to mention it would burn and be extremely painful. The bloodroot salve is really thick, and you only use a tiny amount. It's nothing like a wound salve. The guy who makes the bloodroot salve we use is out of Arkansas.
Today was my first ride on her, and I just love her. Not real proud of her condition, but by the time she gets fat and slick, she'll be broke. Won't be long, and she'll look better. This afternoon I got rid of some of the winter coat she's shedding.
I will disagree with the need to wrap the wound - it will not prevent proud flesh which needs to grow to allow the wound to fill in. It provides much needed blood supply that heals the wound from beneath.
Last July my horse cut itself in the front of and just below the hock. I yarded the horse to prevent movement that would only aggrevate the healing - he spent a total od 6 weeks in his yard with no turnout whatsoever, he was fed Meadow Hay and had access to a multi mineral lick.
The wound was very similar to the one initially shown. The wound was washed with saline, sprayed onto the wound using a 4litre pump spray, it had enough force to debride the wound but was gentle enough to not upset a young horse who had never been injured before. It also meant that I didn't touch the wound. For the first week I did bandage over activated Manuka honey, I used a disposable nappy to cover the wound - the horse then showed signs of being uncomfortable with being bandaged. Proud flesh had filled the wound and was already slightly above the level.
I then treated this with a saturated solution of Copper Sulphate. The outside of the wound and the leg below the wound was coated in Vaseline and the Copper Sulphate solution painted onto the wound. Each day for the first week the scabs that formed was removed - it wipes off very easily and the Copper Sulphate was replaced. Between each treatment the wound was saturated with saline.
These are the photos of the progression - the wound is now a thin line.
Day 1 - the creamy area to the left is a tendon which had a few fibre's nicked.
Day 7 - proud flesh beginning to fill the gap nicely
Day 15 - early days of removing the proud flesh
Day 23 - Getting smaller
Day 84 - A fraction of the earlier size - copper sulphate only being used once weekly