Pemphigus Follaceus... - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-27-2009, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,850
• Horses: 2
Exclamation Pemphigus Follaceus...

That's what it appears T may have. Vet took two biopsy's Monday to confirm. It's an autoimmune disease, no cure. What I've researched doesn't look good as far as treatment and outcome, one possibilities is lametitis (sp?), and discomfort (pain) for my girl.

My mind is whirling right now while waiting for the results and than the recommendations from my vet. Right now the uveitis looks so minor and manageable to me. :(

Has anyone out there dealt with this disease, and do you have any insight or advice for me? How do you make a decision when one of them might be to euthanize? Sorry , I have to go now, can't see the screen anymore from crying. Sorry.
Walkamile is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,707
• Horses: 2
Oh no! *hugs*
I don't know what to say that would be helpful so I won't say anything but just know that we're here for you.

Fabio - 13 year old Arabian/Lipizzan gelding

Rest peacefully, Lacey.
Wallaby is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: secret mountain valley
Posts: 1,363
• Horses: 2
this condition is often very treatable in dogs but I am not sure about horses. No there is no cure but the treatment for dogs is steroids which are very cheap. I will pick the brains of my professors today, particularly the immunology professor who is an equine vet, and see what he thinks about outcome. Don't lose hope yet, I'm sorry you're going through this.
tealamutt is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 10-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: secret mountain valley
Posts: 1,363
• Horses: 2
Ok, well granted I have never seen your horse and also am not a veterinarian (yet!) but I did talk to some equine vets at the teaching hospital today about pemphigus follaceus in horses and they have seen some very good results with treatment. Of course your vet will have a lot more info on your horse's particular case especially once the biopsies are back but it is not a death sentence so please don't start thinking euthanasia.

The treatment is steroids and will have to be life long, so you need to think about how committed you are to your horse, and as you mentioned the steroids can predispose him to laminitis, but it is extremely affordable and easy to treat. I hope that this new information gives you some hope and that you are feeling a little better about the potential diagnosis. Best of luck!
tealamutt is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,850
• Horses: 2
Thank-you Wallaby and Tealamutt for the encouragement. The results won't be in until Monday or Tuesday of next week. I'm praying it is an odd version of bact. infection , but it seems to fit the textbook description of P.F. My vet is being very cautious about any treatment until results in. We're glad we did the biopsy's so we won't be randomly treating.

I just want to do what's right for my mare. She's my dream horse and we've adjusted (her easier then me ;) ) to the loss of sight. Now this, and the thought that she's in any pain is very upsetting to me. She's a very stoic girl, so the signs of pain are very subtle with her. I guess when I heard one of the risks to treatment could be laminitis I felt like a ton of bricks was dropped on me. I've seen horses suffering from this, and to think she would have to go through that as well overwhelmed me.

I guess, like you said, I shouldn't make any hasty decisions until all the facts and results are in. Then I'll weigh everything out with my vet and try to come to the best decision for T.

Interestingly was that the vet told me she is in very good condition for her age, doesn't look or act 20. He said she could live for another 10 - 15 years. There was a time that would have been music to my ears, but now I'm not sure, if it means she is going to be battling this disease.

But, I will try not to project. I need to breath and wait. I've got tomorrow off and I think I'll take my girl for a walk in hand down one of our favorite trails. Enjoy this time with her. Thanks for "calming" me down. I guess my vet should have given me a bit of the tranquilizer!
Walkamile is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 301
• Horses: 1
I just wanted to say how sorry I am - I am sending hugs - please keep us informed.
Luv 2 Trail is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome